Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Bosque / McLennan County Yearly Thread

I guess I'll start her off:

Well, for all of you central Bosque or western McLennan County hunters things are shaping up for a tremendous late spring early summer horn growth pattern. It has been many years since we have entered the late May cycle with such great habitat growth due to perfectly timed rain falls.

Late fall and early spring food plots are lush and still holding allot of palatable broadleaf varieties. Not to mention that once I shredded areas of thick oats, wheat and elbon rye the early broadcasted clover has taken off and is getting grazed daily. The crimson and arrow leaf clovers showing better growth when compared to the white and other. Also, allot of winter peas made it through the winter / spring grazing and are putting on good vine / leaf growth. Of course, the wheat, oats and elbon rye will hit maturity and brown up over night very soon.

The white salt stations are getting hammered and the mineral licks are looking more like hog wallows.

Additionally, with the lush habitat, fawn survival rates should be extremely good. …lots of places for does to leave the fawns in cover.

I have put out allot of fertilize around the drip line of two of my big acorn trees (1 White Oak and 1 Live Oak) that are located close to my lower river stand.

We know of 3 top end bucks that made it through February and have our fingers crossed leading into horn growth season. Breck, Ashton and I are waiting patiently to see how the bucks top out with our fingers crossed……..

Of course we are doing our best on the never ending war on hogs and at this time keeping them somewhat at bay. …really it’s just that the neighboring farmers corn and maize fields are starting to head / tassel so the hogs are now in those fields and not my plots…..

I will start to update this thread with trail cam photos as the summer grows heavy. Fill free to add your Bosque and or McLennan County off season experiences.

The May 19th rain dropped 3.1” on my Bosque River grounds.
    God Bless

Rwc
    Attached Files

Almost forgot to add, if any of you travel through Valley Mills in transit to your grounds, I have been using the small feed store across from the CEFCO on S.H. 6 in Valley Mills. Really good prices and bend over backwards to help you find any feed / seed you are in search of. I noticed the other day he has started stocking a few guns. When you walk in the door you automatically go back in time to an old general store fill.... little bit of everything.

Don't get me wrong, Clifton Feed and Service Center are great people, but the store in Valley Mills is a great option.

Rwc

Comment

Following.

Comment

Thanks for starting this again! Yes, the rain was great!! Could use a few more storms between now and Sept!

Comment

Well, the last rains have now dried up and winter plot grains have reached maturity and browned up making them no longer palatable. I shredded about 2.5 acres of my lower plots to help expose the clovers to the sun, giving them a chance to add on additional growth for late spring / early summer grazing. Thinking about irrigating a portion of them to aid in extending their growth.

Deer are still hammering the salt licks and mineral pours.

North Bosque River is looking good with lots of water running and should easily sub stain through the summer.

Did kill a small hog the other morning that I am guessing forgot about the neighbors grain fields……….22 mag to the forehead works every time.

All the deer on my Bosque and McLennan grounds seem to be very healthy with a few about to bust. Natural browse looks really good.

Fill free to post your Bosque / McLennan County off season updates.

God Bless and hope each enjoy.
          Rwc
          Attached Files

Comment

Looking good. Man, I sure do miss my Bosque county place, very diverse habitat. I am in Mills county now, west of you. We are super dry and have been since fall. We are at 8" for the year and half way done. Range looks like September already. Fawn crop will be very low. Good luck and I will follow your progress.

Comment

Looking forward to following along again this year amigo. Just started putting out some cameras on my stuff this past week. It's wild how much further ahead all the deer are down here. I have some deer already showing 2-3 inches of 2's and 3's. Was seeing fawns in March.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                Looking forward to following along again this year amigo. Just started putting out some cameras on my stuff this past week. It's wild how much further ahead all the deer are down here. I have some deer already showing 2-3 inches of 2's and 3's. Was seeing fawns in March.
                Yea, your coastal region out runs the rest of us every year. I am not sure I could get use to hunting the chase portion of the rut in flip flops and shorts like you guys do...... ha ha

You and your brother still need to come bang greenheads late season this year.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                  Yea, your coastal region out runs the rest of us every year. I am not sure I could get use to hunting the chase portion of the rut in flip flops and shorts like you guys do...... ha ha

You and your brother still need to come bang greenheads late season this year.

Rwc
                  It makes for some hot, mosquito-filled hunts that's for sure. And you just tell us when and we'll be there!

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                    It makes for some hot, mosquito-filled hunts that's for sure. And you just tell us when and we'll be there!
                    Sounds great and will do.

Rwc

Comment

I grew up in the Gap. It has some great hunting for sure. Had a lease between Clifton and the Gap hat was tremendous. Saw a couple of 140” deer regularly on camera but never in person. Gave up the lease due to landowner being a tad too difficult to deal with. Good luck this year

Comment

Looking like a great start Richard~! Hoping the best for yall this year.

Comment

I hunt in northeastern part of Bosque county close to Lake Whitney and it looked like the grass was already starting to dry up when I was out there last weekend. Hopefully we get some more rain throughout the summer to keep things green. The deer aren't coming to the feeders much right now though so they must have plenty to eat. It looked like one doe already had fawns and the rest should be dropping about right now. There was still a lot of bucks around when they dropped their antlers so there should be several on the hit list this year. I've hunted this place since 2008 and it's been getting better every year for the past 4-5 years. I'm really looking forward to this season.

Comment

I'm in western McLennan I'll play !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess I missed this thread last year so I got to post a pic of my sons beast he smoked last year with the old Mathews !Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	24542079

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X