2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The irrigation system is plumbed in.
    Broccoli, onions, carrots and asparagus are in the ground.

Tomatoes are growing like weeds.

Pepper seeds don’t want to germinate. Guess I’ll have to buy those from a nursery. Oh well.
    Come on March 7th!

Comment

Looking good Scotty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I planted my seeds middle of January under a grow light. I’ve got nothing. I didn’t use a heat padd but they are in a bathroom that stays warm. Should I be seeing plants by now ?

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

I would think so. The temp needs to be 75-80 to germinate. The heating pads make a BIG difference. I used a back heating pad before I bought the ones designed for plants. Just be sure to not get it wet. Might get a shock!
          And keep the soil real moist.
          Last edited by scotty; 02-03-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Yea I’ve got the soil moist. Is it too late to start with a pad. Also when using do I keep it on all,the time ?

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
              Yea I’ve got the soil moist. Is it too late to start with a pad. Also when using do I keep it on all,the time ?

I read where you don’t have to, but I do. The light doesn’t help them germinate. That’s the heating pads job.

Comment

We planted about 200 purple onions three weeks ago.Getting ready for spring!

Comment

My plot is one big mudhole right now... I did get my 20 Live Oak trees planted today... Son-in-law cane out and helped... Oh to be young again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                    I planted my seeds middle of January under a grow light. I’ve got nothing. I didn’t use a heat padd but they are in a bathroom that stays warm. Should I be seeing plants by now ?
                    Depending on the plant types you are trying to start, germination timing can vary dramatically. I save a lot of my seeds from season to season. With some of the plants I care most about keeping, I will test germination rates. You can do this by placing 10 seeds on a moist paper towel, fold the paper towel over the seeds to cover completely, and placing inside a ziplock bag. I leave mine on top of the refrigerator as that is a warm dark place at my house. Check them every few days. If you do that and they sprout, you know you have a flaw in your germination process. If not you may just have bad seed. Some stores, especially some online retailers are bad about selling old stock.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      The irrigation system is plumbed in.
                      Broccoli, onions, carrots and asparagus are in the ground.

Tomatoes are growing like weeds.

Pepper seeds don’t want to germinate. Guess I’ll have to buy those from a nursery. Oh well.
                      Come on March 7th!
                      Don't give up on those peppers just yet. It took my Shi****o peppers 3 weeks to sprout and a full month for my bells to sprout. 25 days to germinate is a good average for most peppers.

Comment

^^^ a seedling heat mat will speed up that germination rate DRAMATICALLY.
                        I put seeds on the mat on Friday, and have kale and lettuce already popping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't know if I'll get to grow much this year with the new job and time it takes. I could barely keep up with picking peppers and okra last fall. But I've got enough red cayenne to last me a life time now.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                            I read where you don’t have to, but I do. The light doesn’t help them germinate. That’s the heating pads job.
                            If I start some tomatoes inside my garage, will a regular fluorescent light and space heater to keep temp up work? Or do I need a special light and heating pad? Also I plan on starting tomatoes and peppers. Anything else I should start now? I'm usually late to the party, but not this year. I'm ready to go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Seeds germinate the best between 75-80 degrees.
                              I don’t know if regular fluorescent lights will work. The light does need to be only a couple of inches above the seedlings to do any good.

Comment

I have noticed up here in deep east tx allot of people love this mushroom dirt. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                                X