"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beads View Post
    Looks like you need some help w/ coon Removal. Just PM me, I have traps, lights, 17HMR, AR, foxpro, and my recurve = a fun weekend!!!! Looking good our 60 acre plot is eaten up or weeds can't tell which is worse
    man i might take u up on it, especially if i end up having to feed protein all summer.

thanks

Comment

I'm going to my lease next weekend to do the same- coons are wrecking havoc
      . Your Place is looking good!

Comment

i should be making a trip out there tomorrow, the place has gotten about 4 straight days of intermittent rain so i am really hoping it is thickening up. really want to see what Big is up to as well, if he is even still hanging around.

here he is about this time last year...

this is one of my favorite pics of him, my tree stand is about 15 yards in the background.
        Last edited by jshouse; 05-26-2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Good grief...he is a giant!

Comment

lol, he is my white buffalo. i got a few pics of him this past week but wont be able to upload them until tomorrow, i do have some pics of the plot though, had pretty good rain on it all week and is coming in strong, the clover/chicory is finally looking like it is gonna do something too, especially in the shadier areas.

turner spring mix

clover/chicory

soybeans are still a little thin but are getting taller and are getting browsed

i will get some game cam pics up tomorrow

Comment

here are a few of the latest pics from the pasture, these were the only days Big was there, he is looking good, cool to compare him from last year at this time. pretty much just some rice bran with a little protein mixed in it in that feeder.

such a beautiful example of a mature buck

he wasnt there the previous week when i thought one of the other bucks was him, i am a bit ashamed after seeing him again this week, he is much more mature and full throughout than any other deer out there...i just wanted to see him so bad i made him into a modest 4.5 year old, lol.
              Last edited by jshouse; 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

He sure is a great buck! Hopefully he will stick around.

Comment

big has been a regular the last few weeks, it looks like he is going to pick up some trash this season, around the bases at least. he has been using the food plot pretty heavy the last week or so, since i let the protein feeder go dry, i am really debating on whether or not to fill it again but i probably will. here are some pics from the last week, the soybeans are getting hit hard and kept thin, the turner mix side is getting hit hard too but is holding strong and getting pretty thick. the clover and chicory is looking better, hoping it will hold through summer. i have some volunteer corn coming in around my black spin feeder, was a bit surprised to see it.

u can see were they are nipping the leaves off

turner spring mix

my crazy boys in the turner spring mix

soybean side, is thin but is being mowed down

one of the clover/chicory pockets, i have 4 pockets of clover/chicory, they are pretty much the 4 corner of the plot. i hope they will reseed and give me that year round plot while i keep expanding them

big

deer in the plots, i moved a few cameras to get more plot pics

Last edited by jshouse; 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Looks great! Love those deer in the plots pics.....nothing better!
                    They are serving their purpose.

If you continue to get rain the chicory/clover has a good chance.

Comment

well, i havent gotten any rain and it is getting depressing out there quick. the soybeans are getting hit hard already and are really thin, the turner mix is looking decent but getting real dry, and the clover/chicory looks real good in one spot and is getting dry in the others. i will be out there for a few hours with my 25 gallon tank sprayer trying to salvage it with hopes that the rain hits this weekend.

the buck in the front hasnt been seen since mid-october, he was a real tall 8 last season, the one with the rice bran on his nose on page 1 of the thread, looks like he may split at least one g2 this year. the buck in the back has been gone since lat march, he was a nice 10 last season and has something going on with his right front leg.

Comment

made it out there today to water the plot and, well, it didnt work out to well. was one thing after another starting with breaking the pick up tube in half while removing it from the tank, i didnt even try to water the plot, just hoping what some of it can hold on till this weekend when hopefully i can get back out with a buddies big water tank.

i did get some new pics and they are still tearing up the plots.

times are off on this moultrie cam..whatever that weed is in the foreground is starting to take over sections of the plot too. u can see the G2 splitting in this pic

i am real interested to see what this little guy turns into, i like those high brow tines

split g2 buck

this guys has some problems

good lookin young ones

Comment

Definitely invest in the electric fence...you'll be thankful you did. Unfortunately for me, I had to tear mine down and section off the pastures to rotate cattle this year due to the lack of rain. But invest in one next year when you plant...and good luck on getting that stud!

Comment

One of the coolest threads on TBH right now!

Been a pleasure following along.....and can't wait to see one of those big boys go down!!!

Comment

thanks man, i just want to see one of them, a certain one one really, in october. i am going tomotrrow to see how bad the plot looks, gonna try again to get some water on it. i sent you a pm with the info on the land.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                thanks man, i just want to see one of them, a certain one one really, in october. i am going tomotrrow to see how bad the plot looks, gonna try again to get some water on it. i sent you a pm with the info on the land.
                                Got it sir...will definitely be in touch!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X