No announcement yet.

Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations looking good . Hopefully one of those Oklahoma monster bucks will stroll through on your place !

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
      Congratulations looking good . Hopefully one of those Oklahoma monster bucks will stroll through on your place !

You know, that would be great but I’m really going to keep expectations very low for the first few years. I want to put in and maintain spring and winter food plots as well as do some supplemental feeding to give the local herd what I can, within reason. There is pasture in areas surrounding us but no crops that I can see. I’ve never driven the area in autumn or winter but we will see.

Here’s a view of what’s around us.

Our place is 90%+ hardwoods. I can see now that in a good acorn crop year our movement will be minimal. Our place and everything adjoining us to the East is land locked. Same way with the parcels joining us on the South, except one.

Currently I’ve got about 1.5 acres of tillable soil for a food plot. This is surrounding a pump jack and tank to the North of the house. The plan is to fertilize and plant it this summer.

There are a couple of small openings in the woods to the East. One is leading to the neighbor’s 30 acre field behind our place. I’d like to open these up just a bit to create staging areas for the deer to stop and get a nibble on their way to the field.

Back to expectations, my goal this first fall is to help my 10 year old son harvest his first deer, help my 13 year old daughter take her next steps toward hunting independently, and spend time with my friends and family making memories. Anything more than this will be considered a bonus!
      Last edited by Booner Sooner; 06-11-2018, 10:03 PM.

Comment

going hollywood is what tends to happen after hitting the big show. its not that they dont love their hometown, or ole buds anymore, its just that they literally have no time for their past life. its onward and upward for them, while the rest of us are left with only memories.

its a term of endearment and respect, as well as an attempt to hide obvious jealousy.

so booner, are you a fan of hinge cutting?? i love that wrap around 1.58 acres. you are going to hold deer and pull others it looks like. excellent situation!

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
          going hollywood is what tends to happen after hitting the big show. its not that they dont love their hometown, or ole buds anymore, its just that they literally have no time for their past life. its onward and upward for them, while the rest of us are left with only memories.

its a term of endearment and respect, as well as an attempt to hide obvious jealousy.

so booner, are you a fan of hinge cutting?? i love that wrap around 1.58 acres. you are going to hold deer and pull others it looks like. excellent situation!
          So that's what its like making it to the show I knew it was something Appreciate you following along!

Comment

Man, that upper right hand quadrant next to the fields, is the bomb! What a pinch point.

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post

Hingecutting may be in my future a few years down the road. I’ll be getting the lay of the land and a good handle on the travel patterns of the local herd before I even attempt to start making long lasting decisions about my place.

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Man, that upper right hand quadrant next to the fields, is the bomb! What a pinch point.

There is certainly allot of activity in that area. Have yet to place a camera up there but it is on the list to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                So that's what its like making it to the show I knew it was something Appreciate you following along!
                once a fella starts owning, flippin', and upgrading, personal hunting ranches, many consider that the show. me included.

i might end up yalls neighbor one day, but ill be one of them cow people, but i like havin' nice deer around also. i need a few things to come together, and the timing of my sale, and availability will dictate where i go. 1031, ya know, timing is everything.

at one point, that timing wouldve put me in hopkins, or leon, or red river, or delta counties, now, right where yall is looking pretty good.

im learnin' a heap from yall. thanks for the tours. any cow pasture pics are valued as well. God bless!

Comment

Well, Gracie and I made it back up to the place this weekend to continue the adventure. We drug the Kubota up and put her through her paces. The main field was overgrown and in need of some TLC in order to be ready for a fall food plot.

I remember seeing some large rocks when I walked the place before green up so I positioned the front end loaded just above the ground and proceeded with caution.

Found a few. The front end loader handled about half of them like a champ but there are others that will take a dozer to move.

I’m pleased with the first cut. It will take another before I spray in preparation for planting. Riding the tractor through this thick growth in 100 degree heat was a great way to spend some time. More than once on Saturday evening I just smiled and thanked the Lord for the new place. It’s an incredible feeling.

Pushed up all the pallets and junk into a burn pile.

Cycled the cams and the throng of does continues. Most look healthy and there are a few fawns making appearances. Cute little buggers.

There are a few adolescent bucks showing up also. No big boys yet but with the does that are all over this place that should remedy itself once they start smelling right.

I don’t have any feeders out yet but plan to put one out on the next trip. Just have to get it ready.

Had to move some furniture and pick up some feeders as wells. Thanks for the help, Darton. Much appreciated. All in all a great weekend. Good times ahead!
                  Last edited by Booner Sooner; 07-15-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Lookin good! Nothing like owning and working your plan on your own land. For me it’s been very rewarding.

Comment

You made some good progress this weekend! Place is nice!

Comment

Very cool. Your place is coming along nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had to move some furniture and pick up some feeders as wells. Thanks for the help, Darton. Much appreciated. All in all a great weekend. Good times ahead![/QUOTE]

Not a problem! Happy to help and really look forward to all of the progress

Comment

Up to date. Beautiful.

Comment

Beautiful place. Enjoying the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
                                Very cool. Your place is coming along nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                                You made some good progress this weekend! Place is nice!

Originally posted by Part Timer View Post
                                Beautiful place. Enjoying the thread.

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                                Up to date. Beautiful.

Thanks, Gents. I’ve got to pace myself. I have a dozen or more projects in my head but only so many hours in the day.

Also, I’m holding off and not doing much that has a lasting impact as I need to learn more about this place and have a more cohesive vision for what it will be. The good part is that it is in my time as I don’t have to worry about a lease manager pushing me off the place, land owner taking my lease for his family to use, etc. etc. etc. [emoji3]

Comment

Working...
                                X