This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***Disaster Relief Fund Raising via TBH

As you would expect, there are MANY here on TBH that want to do whatever they can to help neighbors (and specifically TBHers) affected by Harvey. We certainly want to do the same.

However, we need to make sure we do things the right way. Past tragedies, disasters, hardships, etc. have illustrated that we aren't completely immune to those who might attempt to take advantage of others' hardships for personal gain - either by those accepting donations without a legitimate hardship or those soliciting donations and not fully following through with allocation thereof. Most of you know that we don't typically allow fundraisers without prior approval for this very reason.

In an effort to prevent our benevolent members from being taken advantage of, I want to make sure we have some protocols in place for soliciting and/or collecting/distributing donations through this site.

First, if you have created an existing fundraiser or an idea for generating disaster donations (gofundme, auctions, raffles, benefit events, etc.) from our members, please contact an administrator for approval before posting here. We'll want details and accountability before any outside fundraising events are approved, and many (most) likely won't be approved if we can't verify with near 100% accuracy.

There have already been several posts with groups or individuals designing shirts or other merchandise, with proceeds benefitting Harvey victims. Unfortunately, we can't really verify the legitimacy of these fundraisers.

Please know that Larry is working on a TBH Themed tshirt design that we will announce soon, with all net proceeds going toward disaster relief. (We haven't worked out details, yet, of whether that will be to a community organization for general donation or if proceeds will be allocated to existing site members in need, but we will work out those details before we start selling them in our store.). We will keep a transparent accounting of shirts sold and the proceeds donated.

if y'all would like, we can create a central donation (paypal or gofundme) for direct contributions via TBH. Again, we will keep a full accounting of dollars received and donated, with 100% going to relief victims.

We're actively working on this and will come up with plans soon.

Michael
    My Flickr Photos

Thanks Michael, I need a new shirt.

Comment

Sounds great.

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Looking forward to a TBH gofundme account set up.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Michael, I shared a Go Fund account started by a cooking team, that a close friend of mine is on. His name is Carey. The thread is on the Around the Campfire forum. Please feel free to contact the individual that have noted their contacts on the page to keep very thing legit and not have issues. I can vouch for the team but I fully understand where you are coming from. If you deed it necessary and not content please delete the thread if you please.

I for one ask for apologies to you and all the head admins for not contacting you folks first.

With that said if anyone of our brother members donated, I want to thanks you for the help and also what it to be know that your contributions are going to put to use to help our First Responders and volunteer as stated on the Go Fund page.

Again I'm sorry if I crossed the line.

Comment

I don't know how others feel, but I would rather any monetary relief effort be done through TBH as a GoFundMe or other. I think this would lend more credence to the effort and assure donors that the money would be more likely to be distributed in an equitable manner.

But hurry, these people need help yesterday !

Comment

You guys new to the site sit back and watch this. You are about to see what makes TBH so great. Thanks Michael.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

In.

I'd like to know that we are helping TBH'ers directly but it would be good if we are able to go through an approved charitable organization for accountability and book keeping purposes.

Comment

Glad to hear it Michael! A friend and I went out to purchase some things yesterday for our local church shelter and she had people sending her money right and left to assist. It's hard to know what the best way to use that is, but I can see where it's VERY easy for people to take advantage/ be taken advantage of during this time. As always, TBH is a wonderful FAMILY that helps each other out wherever possible!

Comment

Ready, say when

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            Ready, say when
                            x2

Comment

Just a reminder to everyone also, this "storm" is not over. Once the rainfall quits and the waters recede there will still be alot of need. The news will be on to another story and there will still be alot of people in need. I like many of you want to do something for those in need. Be patient and diligent. There will be alot of need for a long time to come. Give all you can as long as you can.

To all our TBH family effected by this, Don't let pride get in the way of letting us help!

Comment

Working...
                              X