No announcement yet.

Shnf 16-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Thursday afternoon two people were hiking in the Sam Houston National Forest just off Calvary Road in deep north Montgomery County. They discovered what appeared to be a body and contacted the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office. Units responded to the scene and discovered the body of a young f

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

I just read that. Pretty scary stuff out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And that's why I'm always packing extra heat with spare mags.

Comment

You and me both. A little 45cap goes a long way in persuading somebody to leave one alone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=48321

The trails coalition got a grant from the state to add another 31 miles of trails to the forest. You have less than 30 days to comment on it before the final decision is made.

They seem to be successfully adding a section a year to the forest, and the growth in the area is gong to make it harder to slow that down. At this rate, won't be long before we have to start fighting neighbors of the forest when they start complaining about the gun fire and "concerns for their safety".

Comment

I don't necessarily mind the trails. They make accessing the forest easier. However , it also makes it harder to get away from people using the trails.
              You have to take the good with the bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

And if a little more congestion means more archery only areas... then... well...

Comment

Well i dont see any new archery only areas popping up.

I really don't have anything against the trails right now, other than having to watch more to see if I'm too close. What bothers me is how eaily they get grants. And that's because the population is moving out that way. I'm still just afraid that when enough neighborhoods pop up around the forest, they'll start fighting against the noise. But as I've seen before, they'll be fighting the trails guys too against the noise of dirt bikes.

Either way, i got on the mailing list to let everyone know of all these thigs so we dont get more surprises, so now you know.

Comment

Well I will be commenting for sure.

I also applied for an antlerless permit today now that the link is up and running for this season.

Comment

Here is a copy of what I wrote to them:

"To whom it may concern:

Regarding the Richards-Raven Equestrian and Multi-Use Trail Project I am sending this email as a concerned hunter whose APH license fees provide much of the funding for the conversation of our public wild lands.

While I do not necessarily oppose the trail altogether, I do have obvious concerns about future use by those of us who continue to hunt there. Specifically I am concerned about continuing to meet the requirements from which we must distance ourselves from trails and roadways in order to legally and safely hunt. Additionally, I am concerned about the willingness to complain about noise (i.e. gun shots), and potential harassment that hunters will inevitably face from these city dwellers who decided to move to the country and conveniently forgot that hunting is a sustainable endeavor as old as mankind itself.

In a nutshell I want to make sure that hunters continue to have access to the forest for these pursuits with no further encumbrances than are already imposed upon us.

Thank you for your time and consideration."

I'm sure it's not going to win any Pulitzer Prizes but it gets the point across.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        Well I will be commenting for sure.

I also applied for an antlerless permit today now that the link is up and running for this season.
                        I can only find it for last year, Saya 2016-17 coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                          I can only find it for last year, Saya 2016-17 coming soon

It shows the 2016 - 2017 season for me, but man I about had a heart attack when I read what you wrote. LOL

I'd post the direct link here for you but I'm not going to make it easy for the lurkers and newbies that are about to start asking for places to hunt.

Comment

Lol. I searched all over that site with my phone. Maybe it wants my computer

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                              Lol. I searched all over that site with my phone. Maybe it wants my computer

Possibly. I checked again and re-verified it's for the 16 - 17 season and it's good to go.

Comment

Pm me

Comment

Working...
                                X