6.5 creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
    This is the second box of factory ammo through my 6.5 Creedmoor. Very happy with it, and the last shot is dead center at 100 yards. Haven't pulled the trigger on any game yet, but its coming with me every chance I get.
    While I understand you are happy with that, you shouldn’t be. At 100 yards that’s some awful grouping. I only say this because you likely have an issue with your gun. I wouldn’t shoot at an animal with that gun till you get it fixed.

Comment

I'd say you have multiple calibers that'll do what you're looking for.. 270, 3006, 308, 7mm08, 2506. If you just wanna have something new.. 6.5 is good but id be more comfortable with the 270, 3006 and 308 for elk and mulies personally. With the 6.5 just make sure to use a proven hunting bullet and not a target bullet modded with marketing hype to a hunting bullet.. are you reloading?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        [ATTACH]963261[/ATTACH]
        This would be an excellent choice!

Comment

Great gun and should do anything you want. I shoot the Hornady 143gr ELDX in my Christensen and I reload a 143gr bullet for my other two.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            While I understand you are happy with that, you shouldn’t be. At 100 yards that’s some awful grouping. I only say this because you likely have an issue with your gun. I wouldn’t shoot at an animal with that gun till you get it fixed.
            Read my post again. That was the second box of ammo shot through a brand new gun/scope/chassis, and the other shots were from adjusting the scope. I have only shot it at paper so far, but will go to the range again before I take it hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              I'm sorry they didn't teach reading comprehension where you went to school.

I don't as a rule criticize any caliber that I haven't used before. I hadn't planned on joining the 6.5 creedmoor bandwagon but a good deal on a custom rifle came along. I couldn't resist. Being a gun whore isn't easy. It's not that I thought that there was anything wrong with the caliber. It's just that I had numerous 6.5 calibers already. Including .260, 6.5 grendel, 6.5X284, and a .264 Winchester Magnum.

I've only shot one animal so far with the Creedmoor. A big boar hog that took a bullet to the brain. Needless to say he dropped on the spot. Just like he would have with many other calibers. So I don't have enough game killing experience with the round to not like it.

I'm willing to bet it will do just fine. Bullet selection in most cases is more important than the cartridge.

I hope you got in on the deal alert that I posted for some 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I've got an extra 500 rounds to get loaded up. I'm planning on using mine this season.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=735027

I went to public school in Hawaii they didn’t teach us much! My apologies for over generalizing based on previous threads. I did get in on that brass deal thanks for posting it! Now just have to find time to get to work!

Comment

I cannot speak from personal experience because I don't own one. That being said, I have a number of friends who do and 75% of them are shooting long range steel. The others are using them for Pronghorn Antelope and Mule Deer up here in Wyoming.
                From what I do know about the cartridge, I would not take one on an Elk hunt. I think from deer size game and below they have proven to be a good caliber.
                That's just my two cents from what I am seeing here in the Rocky Mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                  I cannot speak from personal experience because I don't own one. That being said, I have a number of friends who do and 75% of them are shooting long range steel. The others are using them for Pronghorn Antelope and Mule Deer up here in Wyoming.
                  From what I do know about the cartridge, I would not take one on an Elk hunt. I think from deer size game and below they have proven to be a good caliber.
                  That's just my two cents from what I am seeing here in the Rocky Mountains.
                  Wyo, I appreciate the feedback. For those of us who don't live up there, what do you think we should be shooting as a solid elk cartridge?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    Read my post again. That was the second box of ammo shot through a brand new gun/scope/chassis, and the other shots were from adjusting the scope. I have only shot it at paper so far, but will go to the range again before I take it hunting.
                    Which of those shots was the final group. I think Trophy saw it as me that all those holes were from one box without adjusting scope. Even if that isnt the case I don't know how to tell which holes grouped together after you quit adjusting the scope

Comment

Bought one last year last minute to replace my little boy's 243 that was stole while we were on a hunting trip. Sighted it in real quick on the way back to the farm and he killed a big boar with it the same evening. He went on the kill several more big hogs and a couple deer with it later in the season. Deer were shoulder shot and the hogs were head shot and nothing took a step. He shoots the little gun great and recoil is very mild. It shoots everything we've fed it well and seems like it will be a great little gun for my boy.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                        I'd say you have multiple calibers that'll do what you're looking for.. 270, 3006, 308, 7mm08, 2506. If you just wanna have something new.. 6.5 is good but id be more comfortable with the 270, 3006 and 308 for elk and mulies personally. With the 6.5 just make sure to use a proven hunting bullet and not a target bullet modded with marketing hype to a hunting bullet.. are you reloading?

Sorry been at enchanted rock no signal there.
                        No I will.be shooting factory loads only picked up a couple boxes of 129gr interlock soft points for 19 a box today on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
                          Sorry been at enchanted rock no signal there.

No I will.be shooting factory loads only picked up a couple boxes of 129gr interlock soft points for 19 a box today on the way home.
                          Good bullet choice!

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                            Good bullet choice!

They work well out of everything else and were on sell so figured what the heck

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Wyo, I appreciate the feedback. For those of us who don't live up there, what do you think we should be shooting as a solid elk cartridge?
                              This is just my personal opinion and people use a lot of different calibers for elk but I would say one of the best calibers for elk is the 7mm Mag. Another great elk cartridge would be the 300 Win Mag. My first elk rifle was chambered in the .270 Winchester and I took several elk with it. That was during the time when people either shot a .270, 30-06, or 7mm mag. Since that time a lot of calibers have gotten very popular so it is really difficult to pick just one and say it would be the best.
                              My personal rifle for big game for the past 15 years has been the 7mm RUM. But, I reload for everything I shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                Which of those shots was the final group. I think Trophy saw it as me that all those holes were from one box without adjusting scope. Even if that isnt the case I don't know how to tell which holes grouped together after you quit adjusting the scope
                                It shouldn't take more than 2-3 shots to sight in but's that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                                X