No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spraying joint vetch fields with gly today. I've kept these fields regenerating for several years now by lightly discing in the spring and then at the last possible moment before the vetch starts germinating burning the field down. This helps control weeds as best I can though there is always a few weeds in the vetch.

I really like vetch as a feed . As mentioned it can be managed as a reseeding perennial . It's a high quality feed that will last till frost and frequently is the best thing going late summer to frost. Doesn't hurt that the best buck I personally ever took off the farm was seen grazing in a vetch field all summer.
    Attached Files

Comment

I've read you can just top sow the vetch before a rain on bare dirt, do you know if this is possible?

I've got some bare spots from the flood last week in my plots that I'm going to try this with. Joint vetch, buckwheat, and chicory. Supposed to rain Saturday, so Friday I'll spread them out. I gotta try something, my plots look like garbage right now after getting washed out.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
        I've read you can just top sow the vetch before a rain on bare dirt, do you know if this is possible?

I've got some bare spots from the flood last week in my plots that I'm going to try this with. Joint vetch, buckwheat, and chicory. Supposed to rain Saturday, so Friday I'll spread them out. I gotta try something, my plots look like garbage right now after getting washed out.
        I would assume its possible to top seed vetch. It is a very small [ and expensive ] seed. I would want to believe that a hard rain wouldn't wash it away.Might be best to cultipack it or drag in in if possible. Buckwheat is also easy to establish. However I've always planted chicory in the fall. Never tried it in the spring.

Comment

Drilling a combo of soybeans, cow peas, sorghum, sunflowers, and Egyptian wheat into the fall cover crop. Its not laying down as well as last year possibly because I planted a couple of weeks later last year and the fall crop was more broken down. I may mow next week.The fall crop of rye, wheat clover and radishes were sprayed yesterday. Would think every bird in La. would be on the wheat seed in this field.

I'll be planting a total of 26 acres in this particular combo.
          Attached Files

Comment

Loving it! You have the life my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A year in the life of a farm isn't complete without the full story! This makes it all worth it.
              Attached Files

Comment

That boys living the dream, keep the up dates coming sir

Comment

Drilling 15lb/acre sunflowers into a 13 acre crimson clover filed. Hopefully the deer won't eat them all.They have in the past though I have reduced numbers and there are plenty of other options all around. The field was stunning about a month ago but gone to seed now. Should reseed naturally this fall.

Looking for a good dove hunt come Sept.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Set of sheds from the ranch. 190 3/8. I think 7 yr old.I thought him to be 178-180 in the field. His mass is over 41" and I tend to underscore heavy mass deer every time .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          A year in the life of a farm isn't complete without the full story! This makes it all worth it.
                          Now thats an awesome pic! I'm sure the boy has the time of his life out there
                          Amazing place yall have.

Comment

Subscribed...great thread!

Comment

Bone Breaker there, Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                                Set of sheds from the ranch. 190 3/8. I think 7 yr old.I thought him to be 178-180 in the field. His mass is over 41" and I tend to underscore heavy mass deer every time .
                                WOW Was he on the hitlist and gave you the slip or were you letting him go intentionally?

Comment

Working...
                                X