Calling Red deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Red deer

I was working on the farm late yesterday and heard a Red deer bellowing about 200 yards away.

I was setting up a new blind and making all kinds of racket.

After I was through, I roared back at him.
    Every time he roared I returned his call.

It went back and forth for 10 minutes until he came busting out into the open.

Keep in mind I'm standing beside a white truck and trailer in the middle of a little green patch.

He grunted at me, I moaned back. He stood and glared at me for a minute then turned and attacked a little pine tree. Stripped the limbs then push it down.
    He then spun around and glared at me again.
    By this time Bagley was at my feet furred up growling and looking up at me like " Are you real sure about this?"

I decided to leave the big old fellow alone and loaded up in the truck but it got me thinking.

Anybody ever call one in and shoot it?
    Seems like that would be a exciting way to take one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	25097784

I have always wondered about this. I was at a friend's ranch in S. Texas recently and the Stags were roaring all over the place. I wanted to try but was embarrassed.

I'm gonna try now!

Comment

Sounds fun

Perfect your calling and you can offer that as a bonus on your Red Stag hunts

Any sign of the one that was shot a couple weekends ago?

Daughter is already trying to figure out when we can make another trip over

Comment

Sounds like Bagley is a little smarter than you buff lol. I bet that was pretty cool though.

Comment

That's a good red deer!

Comment

That is awesome. I hope to get a red deer one day. They are impressive animals.

Comment

I had a friend who would do this on his place in Mountain Home. He said those stags would come in all be pi**ed off. He said it was definitely a rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kurdawg View Post
                Sounds like Bagley is a little smarter than you buff lol. I bet that was pretty cool though.
                A little?? No, she's a whole lot smarter than Buff and he knows it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  A little?? No, she's a whole lot smarter than Buff and he knows it!

That is not setting the bar very high for my dog

Comment

I was told a story from another guy who takes folks hunting. He had a client who had never bow hunted before and on his first hunt he wanted a stag. The guide put him in an elevated stand. He then got in the brush behind the stand a few yards and began calling. After some time he had a very upset stag coming right for the stand. The Hunter never shot as the stag was facing the stand. The stag came in and started raking the legs of the stand shaking the heck out of it. He eventually moved on after a couple minutes attacking the stand. When the guide walked to the stand the guy looked like he had seen a ghost and decided bow hunting wasn't for him. It scared him to death.

The Hunter left his bow with the guide. He keeps it as a spare for clients now.

Comment

My guide at Rivers West Ranch and I stalked in to about 120 yards and called.
                      He was preoccupied with a hind but he would respond to us.
                      We just couldn't get him to close the distance. Last hunt of the trip I opted to take the rifle to get him in the freezer.

Comment

Seems like a much more fun way to hunt them than from under a feeder.

Do you notice them only roaring in the rut? Is their enough of them that they have a definite rut?

Would cow calling be effective?

Comment

Originally posted by PantherCity View Post

Would cow calling be effective?

We tried one the other weekend out there just playing with a hoochie momma cow elk call I had in my backpack. One walked by about 50yds and we called at it and it roared! Then another one in the woods we didn't know was there roared!! We all went back and forth at each other for a while then they both left!! Little man thought that was great!! I couldn't tell you if the call made any difference or they were both too busy yelling at each other though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great video makings ...do it Buff!

Comment

When I was a kid I would spend some summers near kerrville. I would do elk bleats, learned axis alerts, and would call some deer in that were behind high fences.

Crazy memories. so fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X