Public Hunting Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Hunting Gear

Deer season is upon is, and with no lease this year I am looking to join fellow TBHers on public land. With weather, timing and other elements uncontrollable, one of the few things a hunter can control is his gear. So what is something you find beneficial to your success on public land? Big or small don't hesitate to post. Hope others can find this this helpful too!

Game cart a good set of boots & a lot of patience.

Comment

^^^ Homegrown's got it. I've been doing it for 30 years now.

Comment

The single most important piece of equipment I use beside my weapon is a climbing deer stand. Other stuff I like in no particular order,
        - Map Apps
        - Mountain Bike
        - X2 on the comfortable boots

Comment

I find the following items to be indispensable when hunting public land.
          - OnXMaps Hunt app (or a gps and good map with topo overlay over aerial photo)
          - Good boots
          - A very light and mobile climbing stand, hang on and sticks, or ground blind (depending on where and how you hunt)

Once the season ends, you'll want to trade some of the rubber off the bottom of your boots for some on site knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
            - OnXMaps Hunt app (or a gps and good map with topo overlay over aerial photo)
            How does the OnXMaps Hunt app perform on a iphone when no signal? is membership worth the costs, its minimal.

Comment

i cringe just saying it, google earth (especially the tool bar on top) is your friend.

it will tell you things i never would and i've said way too much already.

good luck, nothing like slicking game out from under everyones nose for free.

Comment

I use Gaia gps app rather than onx. I like it and it's cheaper and faster. Also I use a good backpack rather than a game cart. It's way more convenient. I'm a big fan of a light lock on stand and rapid rails because you can put it on more trees than a climber. Plus if you use one of your rails to hang a camera it will be less likely to get stolen. Still could happen though.

Comment

lightweight tree climber

Comment

A good gps and boots.

Comment

Im new to the gear and public hunting. Went to SHNF past Sunday with a ground blind but son and i found it difficult to find a clear area to setup and much less an open area to view more than a few yards.
                      Im looking for tree stands. Not sure if I want to go with climbers for son and I. A two man ladder stand is probably best for us now. Any recommendations on a light and easy to setup stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pelochas View Post
                        Im new to the gear and public hunting. Went to SHNF past Sunday with a ground blind but son and i found it difficult to find a clear area to setup and much less an open area to view more than a few yards.
                        Im looking for tree stands. Not sure if I want to go with climbers for son and I. A two man ladder stand is probably best for us now. Any recommendations on a light and easy to setup stand?

Your not going to find a good 2 man stand you can carry very far. I would suggest a lock on with climbing sticks and make sure he is wearing a harness.

Comment

Originally posted by pelochas View Post

With 2 people your best bet is going to be a hang on stand with climbing sticks. The cheapest options are going to be very heavy, but if you split 4 sticks between the two of you it'd help. Sportsmans Guide has sticks and stands for pretty cheap but you're gonna be looking at carrying around 30 lbs each.

I just purchased an X stand backcountry combo for my girlfriend and myself. She will be carrying one of those el-cheapo sportsmansguide stands that I have put a molle kidney belt and shoulder straps.

There are cheaper options, but there aren't many lighter ones! Ground blinds can work but you had better have a near perfect setup. I will say that I owned a ghost blind but I never really found a perfect application for it so I sold it.

You won't be getting a two man ladder stand in and out very easily unfortunately. They're incredibly heavy, and the risk of them being stolen is very high.

Comment

Quality gps
                            Tree- brella... Umbrella that attaches to a tree. Best $20 I've spent on gear.
                            Light weight rain suit ( I have frog tongs), there are better but these have served me well

Spend all you can on your stand. It's the one item that will keep you in the woods comfortable. Also be lugging it around, and setting it up. Lots of factors there.

Comment

One of my best buys is a bow sling. A lot of the public places I hunt require a long walk. A bow sling helps a ton when you need and extra hand like dragging a deer out or holding a flashlight or whatever. It also keeps limbs and grass out of your cams and strings when walking through brush.

Comment

Working...
                              X