No announcement yet.

slick 6's and crab claws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a similar problem. Slick 6 with no brows and crab claw 8 points are pretty common for us so we shoot them once they get 4.5ish. We've got a lot of deer, so we have to kill plenty bucks and does, so those "less desirable" crab claw 8 points get put on the list. We've got one in-particular that we named Crabs 3 years ago. I saw him once last year and he is very impressive, but will never score good at all... My theory on the matter is take the deer out in hopes something with better head gear will move in and take his spot on the totem pole. This is a very "property specific" topic though IMO. Different properties, different herds, different management needs.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
      Manage for frames. Most mule deer don’t have brow tines, and if they do, they are negligible. Crab claw G3’s are a much worse trait than not having brow tines. The ignorance behind blanket statement management/culling criteria drive me up the wall.
      Just curious, has anyone seen a 2 1/2 yo or older white-tailed buck with small G1s grow good G1s in later years?

Comment

Manage for frames. Most mule deer don’t have brow tines, and if they do, they are negligible. Crab claw G3’s are a much worse trait than not having brow tines. The ignorance behind blanket statement management/culling criteria drive me up the wall.
        Comparing mule deer to whitetails is ignorant lol. Completely different management.

Whitetail with no brows = dead deer.

Crab claws aren't always bad. Seen big deer have them. Would need to determine on a case by case basis. Big 6 is a major shoot on sight.

Comment

Good lord put down the crack pipe.

Comment

Im a fan of crab claws, biggest buck on camera ive seen in 8 yrs on 50 acres was a mainframe 8 with crabs on both sides makin him a 10, prob. A 140 class deer, dang nocturnal e.tx bucks

Comment

Shoot deer in pic one and leave deer in pic two for later down the road. and repeat.....

Comment

Working...
              X