No announcement yet.

Best snake shot in .22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the CCI shells (I have both LR and WMR) in my Ruger Single Six and it has always worked flawlessly on the rattlers on my place in the Panhandle. Never needed more than one shot, but the always got at least a 2nd shot just for good measure.

Shots have always been outside of what I would consider striking distance. And I'm talking about some hawg leg Western Diamondbacks.

I really don't get the "You'll only make them mad," comments.

Comment

Get a Taurus Judge and put some .410 bird shot in it.

Comment

Watch where you walk, don't pick up anything off ground without kicking it 1st and definitely not let kids run loose on property w'o supervision.
        I've used the cci's no problem but wouldnt work in semi auto, revolver only.
        snake boots are always a good idea in the brush here in TEXAS.
        Enjoy also unsure if you can carry a firearm during archery season.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
          I use the CCI shells (I have both LR and WMR) in my Ruger Single Six and it has always worked flawlessly on the rattlers on my place in the Panhandle. Never needed more than one shot, but the always got at least a 2nd shot just for good measure.

Shots have always been outside of what I would consider striking distance. And I'm talking about some hawg leg Western Diamondbacks.

I really don't get the "You'll only make them mad," comments.
          This has been my experience too. I've shot several rattlesnakes with the CCI stuff and it works just fine. If you have access to a .22 mag, it works at a greater distance.

Comment

Ruger single six with chi 22 rat shot has done the job for me. May take a few rounds to get it done

Comment

Originally posted by jmw View Post
              I'll have to double check with the lease manager, but I think he specified the only gun you can carry around the camp area has to be specifically for snakes. I have a .40 that I conceal carry, but I don't think I can carry that around the camp.

Thanks for all the tips so far.
              they do make rat shot for the 40 also,, but I prefer a charter arms bulldog with 44 rat shot,, it will ruin any snakes day within reasonable range,,,
              rat shot is also made for the 45 acp and colt and 9mm

Comment

The longer the barrel, the tighter the group with rat shot.

I've got an old Winchester .22 single shot rifle and I can kill snakes with a single shot from a decent distance (10-12 yards). One shot from the rifle generally does the trick.

With a pistol, it seems like the pattern spreads too much to be effective at anything beyond 4-5 yards.

X2 on the Ruger Single Six. I load mine with .22 magnum rat shot in it. Much better results than .22 LR

Comment

I have some rat shot for my 9mm. have killed a cottonmouth with 1 shot, though he did wiggle for a few minutes... when I was in south texas with it I blasted a cottontail rabbit at about 6-7 yards and it plowed him, but I haven't got to use it on a rattlebug yet... it cycles fine thru my semiauto just fine... pattern in the pond at 10-15 feet is the size of a 5-gallon bucket lid.

Comment

Sir,

Any shot is better than none shot. I stopped carrying the shot with plastic capsuls years back because the capsules seemed to start working loose from being carried so much. Sometimes this would jam my revolver for two different reasons. I use the .40 cal shotshells now because they are different. Don't overlook an el-cheapo 410 revolver with some #8 AA shells.

Some of these snakes can get pretty big.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                      Get a Taurus Judge and put some .410 bird shot in it.
                      This sounds like the best solution to your problem. You can shoot 45LC in it also.

Comment

I have both a single six in .22 and in .357 mag. Shot snakes with both you just have to be a little closer with the .22. Academy has a Heritage single six in .22LR for $159.99. Like has been said the snake shot doesn't cycle in semi autos.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          22 shot doesn't have enough pellets unless you get within striking distance...go 38 or bigger for any real effect.

Best thing about the #12 shot is that it does not mess up the skin if you want to save it...the larger rounds are effective at safe ranges. 44 special & 45acp being the best.
                          I had a .22 Mag revolver and after one or two experiences with it, I bought a .357 mag and used the shot rounds in it with the results I wanted.

Comment

It was impossible for this rattlebug to strike me. One shot and he was parked, from probably better than three yards. .22 LR CCI from the Single Six.

Comment

I've carried a 22 revolver with LR snake shot for years and it has never failed me. Occasionally if I rush it I might need a second shot to stop the wiggling. I kill from 10 to 15 rattlers most years.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                                I had a .22 Mag revolver and after one or two experiences with it, I bought a .357 mag and used the shot rounds in it with the results I wanted.
                                Yup...38 & larger is going to be more reliable. All one has to do to check their pattern is shoot 2 or 3 shots at a prickly pear cactus or piece of paper to get an idea of the pattern.

This guy is getting mounted, shot with 38 shot out of a 4" Python...I only keep the first shot with shot & prefer a round that a rimfire when I'm out in the sticks.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X