Moving to Denver - Looking For Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't like Texans in Colorado.
    My dad was in Grand Junction with Halliburton for 6 years and said they never let him forget he was from Texas.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
      They don't like Texans in Colorado.
      My dad was in Grand Junction with Halliburton for 6 years and said they never let him forget he was from Texas.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Our HQ is in Texas so most of my coworkers will have lived here at some point in their lives.

Comment

As you probably know, Castle Pines area is going to be the much higher priced housing. With Parker and then castle rock. The houses in the high 400,000- plus range are harder to sell ( fewer people can afford them) if you stay in the 3000,000 you may not get as nice a house, but resale will be far easier. A friend has listed his house in Conifer 550,000.00 and can't sell it ( what he paid for it). The houses in town for 300,000-400,000.00 don't last but normally a week. And many times are offered more then there asking for them. Nephew had 18 people look at his the first day they listed, 10 offers. It's crazy here, just like you I don't know how long they can stay this high, but it's Colorado so we are used to things being high, get it. Just kidding, any of those areas you mention are very nice.

Comment

You took a pay cut and the wife is not going to teach. Good luck with the cost of living AND a State income tax. Hope it works for your family.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            You took a pay cut and the wife is not going to teach. Good luck with the cost of living AND a State income tax. Hope it works for your family.

Thanks. The pay cut for me is small, about 5%, but I’ll make up some of that in a larger bonus and better 401k match. Losing the wife’s income will stink but she does have a photography business so she’s going to make a go of that out there and if it doesn’t bring in the income we need she will try to go back to teaching next year. Looks like Colorado makes it pretty easy to transfer her certifications. Trying to keep my eye on the bigger picture in that Denver will likely be temporary but it’ll have a lifetime effect on my career.

Comment

Anything around Denver and Boulder is really inflated right now imo. So many people moving in from other states it’s about as bad as north Texas. Depending how long you’ll be there you could see. E market come back up but it seems likes it’s reaching the top of the bubble to me

Comment

Good luck on your move.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                  Our HQ is in Texas so most of my coworkers will have lived here at some point in their lives.
                  Get me a job there haha. I have been waiting on an opportunity with my current company, but nothing has opened up really. I'm trying to move to Woodland Park, and work in Colorado Springs.

Comment

We're looking hard at Castle Rock, Castle Pines, and Parker. 25 and 85 run right into my office. Luckily I'll be working 0600-1800 and 1800-0600 so hopefully I'll miss a lot of the traffic.
                    Castle Rock is the absolute best. If you don't want to deal with traffic take the train in everyday. OMG, I did it and it was so nice to chill back to home. And there's enough public transit down there to take you anywhere you want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by DFA View Post
                      Get me a job there haha. I have been waiting on an opportunity with my current company, but nothing has opened up really. I'm trying to move to Woodland Park, and work in Colorado Springs.

Fort Worth of Colorado? If you do IT stuff we should have a few spots in FTW I could refer you to if you’re interested. Shoot me a PM.

Comment

That short of a time frame in Denver?

I’ll cover your losses, if I can keep your gains.

Deal?

I like castle rock for what you are looking at, but there are lots of good places to live in colorado

Comment

Just take it easy on the edibles until you get acclimated a little bit.

Comment

Yes they will buy the house if we get moved again (assuming the package doesn't change again) however they will buy it at current market value so if the market were to tank we would still take a big loss. Closing costs are not a concern as they are also covered (non recurring costs, such as title fees, etc.). The only true concern is a market drop.
                            I wouldn't worry about a market drop unless you may stay less than 3 years. IMO inflation is only going to go up.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks. The pay cut for me is small, about 5%, but I’ll make up some of that in a larger bonus and better 401k match. Losing the wife’s income will stink but she does have a photography business so she’s going to make a go of that out there and if it doesn’t bring in the income we need she will try to go back to teaching next year. Looks like Colorado makes it pretty easy to transfer her certifications. Trying to keep my eye on the bigger picture in that Denver will likely be temporary but it’ll have a lifetime effect on my career.
                              Smart man!!! I had to geaux to New Jersey for almost 3 years, it was worth every moment of disdain. Concerning yourself with price drops are not within your control.......they will NEVER be within our control. Geaux forth and make a wonderful LIFE for your family as the area is just beautiful!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                                Smart man!!! I had to geaux to New Jersey for almost 3 years, it was worth every moment of disdain. Concerning yourself with price drops are not within your control.......they will NEVER be within our control. Geaux forth and make a wonderful LIFE for your family as the area is just beautiful!!!

Thank you! I actually spent the first 16 years of my life in NJ. It’s not all bad, South Jersey was great.

Comment

Working...
                                X