Tips on starting a new career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on starting a new career

I feel like I have hit a dead end at my current job and have been wanting to explore different options. I am on linked in and have been browsing to see what is out there. I honestly do not know what I want to do. I just would like to explore other opportunities that would allow us to be more comfortable and have a little fun for a change. My question is, how does one get an opportunity in a new field when they want years of experience to even get in a decent pay range? You don't get the opportunity to speak with someone face to face to prove that despite the lack of experience you could excel at the task at hand. I'm sure I rambled on this morning. I am just not sure how to get where I would like to go. thanks

It's who you know.

If there's a field you know you want in then you have to start small for less money sometimes. Then, if you do very good, don't be afraid to ask for a promotion. Problem is (and I don't know your age) a lot of young people think they are good when they are not...and demand a raise/promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      It's who you know.
      Dead on. Applying on linkedin is the next closest thing to throwing your resume in the trash. Introductions are priceless. Start telling your buddies that you're looking for something new. Remind them every couple weeks. Eventually something will pop up, and with their recommendation you'll be given a shot.

Comment

I spent 18 years in a field and then about 7 years ago made a career change. it is totally who you know. If it is a big company you will probably not get past HR if your experience isn't what they are looking for. Unless you have some very generic skills that are used across multiple professions, but even then it is typically industry specific.

Comment

What do you do now? My company's HQ is in FTW and many of our people live in Burleson. I could try to match you up with an opening if you have the right experience.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            It's who you know.

If there's a field you know you want in then you have to start small for less money sometimes. Then, if you do very good, don't be afraid to ask for a promotion. Problem is (and I don't know your age) a lot of young people think they are good when they are not...and demand a raise/promotion.
            that's the issue now is that most people I know are in the same job field. I am 35 with a family so it is difficult to take the initial financial hit most jobs would take to start over. I never intended to be in the field I am in so while it provides for my family, I always wonder what else is out there that would allow me to provide better for my family and our future

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
            What do you do now? My company's HQ is in FTW and many of our people live in Burleson. I could try to match you up with an opening if you have the right experience.
            I have been in the oilfield the last 7 years after I got out of college. I have been in our chemical department the last 3.5 years. I have a bachelors degree (agriculture extension and industry) Never used the multi quote feature, so I hope I didn't butcher it too bad

Comment

No help here but wish you the best of luck with your search. I am in for info as I will be looking over the next few years (3.5) but think I need to start looking now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                No help here but wish you the best of luck with your search. I am in for info as I will be looking over the next few years (3.5) but think I need to start looking now.
                That is why I want to start as well. We already went through one buyout and as I get older I may not fare as well on the next go around. Just looking to get a start while I can

Comment

What field are you looking at going in? You have a Ag background so there should be some opportunities out there for you.

Comment

I am in the same boat. I am 25 been working offshore for almost 5 years now, I started as a trainee finally got promoted to the next position sat at that position for a year finally about time I was ready for a evaluation for a promotion oil slump hit and we got a pay cut. Sat at that same position riding out the oil slump finally got laid off then hired back on 8 months later at the same position and pay rate.. Now they are hiring people for positions above me that come out to the rig that I end up training because they dont know nothing.. I ask for a promotion but they arent giving any right now until oil is stable. Long story short I have been looking for a job back on land but hate to take a pay cut and start all over especially with my first baby on the way. I wish you luck man!

Comment

Originally posted by Eastonoutdoors View Post
                      What field are you looking at going in? You have a Ag background so there should be some opportunities out there for you.
                      I honestly am not looking at anything in particular. I am open to everything as there are a ton of jobs out there that I don't know exist that may be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                        I honestly am not looking at anything in particular. I am open to everything as there are a ton of jobs out there that I don't know exist that may be interesting
                        I’d take some time for self reflection and see what you truely want to do. Casting a broad and general net most likely isn’t going to get you to a fulfilling job. If you are trying to not have a pay cut, is there another role in your current industry that you can switch to?

Unfortunately from what I have seen lately if you are trying to completely jump ship into a new career with no experience in that field you’re going to have to take a pay cut, at least at first. I’m sure someone will come along and say that isn’t true but if you don’t know what you want to do it will be very hard to market your experience to a different field

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          I’d take some time for self reflection and see what you truely want to do. Casting a broad and general net most likely isn’t going to get you to a fulfilling job. If you are trying to not have a pay cut, is there another role in your current industry that you can switch to?

Unfortunately from what I have seen lately if you are trying to completely jump ship into a new career with no experience in that field you’re going to have to take a pay cut, at least at first. I’m sure someone will come along and say that isn’t true but if you don’t know what you want to do it will be very hard to market your experience to a different field
                          Thank you for the advice. It is frustrating that I don't know where I want to go. I had several options I always wanted to pursue, but every time something happened that took them off the table. That led to just taking jobs that made decent money since nothing I planned ever worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                            Thank you for the advice. It is frustrating that I don't know where I want to go. I had several options I always wanted to pursue, but every time something happened that took them off the table. That led to just taking jobs that made decent money since nothing I planned ever worked out.
                            My company just got bought out and my division is getting dropped. I've always been in outside sales so I've been looking for other opportunities, but even just saying I want to stay in sales is such a broad brush. Even though I'm a top producer if I wanted to move to medical/pharma (where I have no experience or technical degree), I would likely have to take a cut from where I am at right now at first. At this point for me the company is more important than the industry or product to me. My wife is due with our 1st in 2 weeks and I want to go somewhere that I can stay for a long time. I can move to supply chain and vendor management but the money for a while won't be anywhere near what I make as a business development professional.

Have a chat with your wife and see if you would be willing to sacrifice for a couple years if it means you'll be happier. Have you talked to a head hunter or recruiter?

Comment

What is it you don't like at your current gig?

What peaks your interest?

Comment

Working...
                              X