No announcement yet.

LBJ Grasslands 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out yesterday for the first time and sat in a tree from daylight until dark. Didn't see anything but armadillos! Maybe next time!

Comment

Originally posted by skudbucket View Post
      Cell service is pretty good in most spots. I have signal 90% of the time

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      The place I was at was barely usable...atandt

Comment

Buddy of mine hunted it this weekend (no unit named). First time he'd ever stepped foot on the place. Found a spot under some oaks and just waited.

Finally, he sees a buck that he said we wouldn't been able to shoot even if it did come closer than 80 yards, that he would of had buck fever so bad. He said it was bigger than anything on his wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's awesome! I'll be back at it this weekend, hopefully I can have the same luck! That's exactly what I did. I have never been there in my life. Just found a nice big oak that was dropping acorns like crazy and put my climber up in it and waited. Nothing came by though. I left a camera up so hopefully I will know more when I go back, if it's still there lol

Comment

Where are you guys seeing the Unit Numbers? I have the maps but no numbers are on them, just different shades of colors with a key at the bottom.

Comment

Nothin on Unit 2 Opener...

Comment

Originally posted by DTH View Post
                Where are you guys seeing the Unit Numbers? I have the maps but no numbers are on them, just different shades of colors with a key at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by DTH View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                    Buddy of mine hunted it this weekend (no unit named). First time he'd ever stepped foot on the place. Found a spot under some oaks and just waited.

Finally, he sees a buck that he said we wouldn't been able to shoot even if it did come closer than 80 yards, that he would of had buck fever so bad. He said it was bigger than anything on his wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Nope!! I ain't buying it! After that picture you posted "BBD", then come to find out it was hit by a car in Wisconsin, your word means nothing in this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                      nope!! I ain't buying it! After that picture you posted "bbd", then come to find out it was hit by a car in wisconsin, your word means nothing in this thread!
                      Yah, I had similar thoughts

Comment

Headed out tomorrow afternoon for my first time in my first treestand. Scouting has been all remote this year so I'm sticking with the unit I spent the most time on last year.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

One request for advice: do whitetails tend to bed in areas with pines/evergreens or oaks/broadleaf trees?

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                              One request for advice: do whitetails tend to bed in areas with pines/evergreens or oaks/broadleaf trees?
                              That will depend on the situation. I've seen them use cedars and such during storms. Or any kind of brush or dead-fall to help break a storm or the wind. But I've also seen them bed in wild plumb thickets. And open rolling fields and prairies just like mullieys do. I've also seen the bed on ridge tops so they can catch any scent from the updraft winds from below during the day. I know of a marsh where the ground is soggy in a small bowl. Helps keep them cool in warmer weather. During cooler windy days, look for them on southern side of hillsides catching the warmth of the sun.

They will bed where they feel safest at the moment. And meets their needs.

Comment

No deer on stand this morning. Bumped 3 when I went to check my trail camera. Found an oak dropping acorns with lots of tracks. Will be setting up there for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Working...
                                X