No announcement yet.

3/4 ton gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a '14 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Two things I don't like...1, the transmission isn't geared worth a crap for a gas truck pulling a load in hills/mountains. 2, the computers don't let this motor work like it's able to. I don't understand putting a big motor in a truck like this, and then throttling is back and not giving it full power.

I get about 16 or so on the HWY, pulling 8k lbs I vary from 11-12 on flat ground and no wind, to 7-8 pulling in hills.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
      I've got a '14 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Two things I don't like...1, the transmission isn't geared worth a crap for a gas truck pulling a load in hills/mountains. 2, the computers don't let this motor work like it's able to. I don't understand putting a big motor in a truck like this, and then throttling is back and not giving it full power.

I get about 16 or so on the HWY, pulling 8k lbs I vary from 11-12 on flat ground and no wind, to 7-8 pulling in hills.
      To my knowledge none of the gassers are. If you're not in a hurry it's a cheaper alternative to owning a diesel.

Comment

One of my three trucks is a 2018 F350 4x4 with the off road package and gasoline engine. Awesome truck so far and zero regrets about going gas.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
          To my knowledge none of the gassers are. If you're not in a hurry it's a cheaper alternative to owning a diesel.
          I went up Ranger Hill at 65 mph pulling my Tracer Air 275AIR, fully loaded, and maintained speed all the way up without going over 4500 RPM

Good enough for me!

Comment

Been driving an 07 f250 with the 5.4 in it since mid 2009. It has been an awesome truck and does everything we have ever asked for it. Has routinely pulled a 4 horse trailer loaded no issues. A 30ft camper from Wyoming to Bryan. Now is a diesel better for pulling? Yep, but if only using the hitch occasionally and usually only pulling a car hauler or utility trailer it works like a champ and is way easier to maintain and deal with overall than its diesel counter part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2016 F 250 4 x 4 6.2 L its a beast pulls anything you hook it to like stated above fuel economy is not an option, make sure you get the correct gears when you purchase i have the 411 rear end because i pull a lot and usually heavy 386 gears will improve your mileage but will suffer at tow time,good luck with your decision.

Comment

With the way newer gassers are running and able to pull I would stick with a gasser for what your needs will be.

Comment

Recently got a '18 Chevy 2500 6.0. Only reason I got a 3/4 ton was wanting something I could put 250k+ miles on without consistent major issues. And I actually use the 4x4. From my experience, 1/2 tons from the big 3 just don't hold up to hard use and a lot of miles. It drives really great and I wouldn't change a thing.

The most I pull with it is a 21' boat and it's like its not even there.

If you don't need the chrome and fancy gadgetry, don't be afraid to check out the work truck models. They come with a lot more than they used to(full size backup camera, etc) and you're getting the same truck for a lot less money. Crew cab, gas, 4wd with a couple thousand in options added back on comes in a touch over $40k. Only down side is the 11-12 mpg.

Comment

Look into Hemifever tunes.

Comment

I looked last year, but they didn't have any for my truck I don't think. I'll check them out again.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the 5.7 in my 2500 that I got rid of recently. One thing I looked into heavy and never did it but wanted to was put a programmer on it. A lot of things I read said that it woke up the Hemi and let it run like it was supposed to. May be something to look into. I just never did due to my warranty and then decided to get rid of it by the time I would’ve put the programmer on it.

Comment

How often do you tow? How heavy do you tow? I've been very happy with the 6.4 Hemi in my 2015 Ram 2500. But I don't tow that often or that heavy. If the cost of the diesel engine was less I'd have one, but I just can't justify the extra $8,000+ truck price plus the increased fuel and maintenance costs when I don't need it for what I do.

LWD

Comment

Driven 2- 3/4 ton gassers, GM 6.0, for the last 10 years. Yes like said you wont have all the torque of a diesel and your mileage sucks at 12 mpg, but it will still pull anything the average person tows easily. You get the same frame and suspension and everything else that a diesel has just not the torque. I still haul the cattle trailer and flatbeds around just the same, just a little slower on the take off that's all.

Comment

I have Ford F250 6.2 gasser. I'm averaging 12-15 in town if I'm not pushing it. Has plenty of power towing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                                I had the 5.7 in my 2500 that I got rid of recently. One thing I looked into heavy and never did it but wanted to was put a programmer on it. A lot of things I read said that it woke up the Hemi and let it run like it was supposed to. May be something to look into. I just never did due to my warranty and then decided to get rid of it by the time I would’ve put the programmer on it.
                                Looked again. Nothing for the '14 6.4 in the RAM. They have them for the cars though. Heard for the '15 and up, that unless you run 91+ octane, you won't see any gains, and even running that fuel, you won't see but like 15hp gains.

Comment

Working...
                                X