AR-15 accuracy issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR-15 accuracy issue...

if there is one gun that is driving me crazy with accuracy issues, it's my AR. I have a Bushmaster M-4 chambered in 5.56/.223 with a 16" bbl. I purchased the weapon when I retired from DPS. It wears a Leupold VX2 3-9X40 with a dot reticle and a Gen Tec suppressor. For the life of me I have not been able to get this gun to group well with any ammunition I try. From factory to hand loads, I'm lucky to get a 3" group at 100 yards with it.

I've been shooting the 64 gr. Winchester Ranger LE ammo and it has killed a bunch of axis and pigs at ranges of less than 100 yards to 186 yards, but I would like to see at least 1-1.5 inch groups. Just recently I purchased some 64 gr. Gold Dot LE ammo and 55 gr. Gold Dot LE ammo. The 64 gr looked like a shotgun pattern on target. The 55 gr. was a little better, but not much. The 55 gr. shot well in my CZ 527 with a 1:12 twist.

I haven't tried any bullet weight greater than 64 gr. and nothing lighter than 55 gr. but I thought the 1:9 twist would stabilize either one just fine and I think it has because I haven't seen any key-holing.

Any suggestions on what to check to see if I can get a little more accurate. Scope mounting is dead set, the trigger is stock, etc.

Have you tried shooting without the suppressor..... Start with the things you can change. Sometimes it's the simplest things sometimes not..... Other than that I got nothing.

Comment

Yes I have...

without any measurable difference either.

Comment

Stock trigger? That's the first thing I change in my ar's

2nd thought.. LE guns get a bunch of rounds through the barrel in classes. Has it had a good bore cleaning?

Comment

I've considered changing the trigger. The gun is probably not as clean as it could be. However, I have cleaned the snot out of it, taken it to the range and still had a shotgun pattern.

Comment

I don't know why you'd expect better than 3 MOA from a Bushmaster.

Comment

Loose sites or barrel?

Comment

Is the handguard/rail free float or standard? That can make a difference. Also, upgrading the trigger can make a difference. Clean the barrel with a good copper cleaner to make sure any fouling is cleaned up. If no change, you can check the barrel nut torque.

In all honesty, a standard AR such as yours is generally a 1 1/2 to 3 MOA rifle with standard parts and production barrel.

Comment

I have that same rifle and went through the exact same thing you're going through. I shoot these with great results.

The page you are looking for could not be located. We're sorry, but it appears the page you have requested is no longer available. Please check the URL and try again....

Comment

This may just be as good as your particular gun will do. The 1:9" twist barrel will stabilize the 75 grain Hornady BTHP (but not the 75 gr AMax or 77 gr Sierra or Nosler), so you might try some heavier bullets. You might also try some lighter ones. Lighter bullets will almost all be varmint bullets, but you might try some to see if your gun prefers them. Other than that check the sites, scope mount, and scope.

LWD

Comment

Loose gas blocks are notorious for this.

Comment

Is this a chrome lined barrel? Some good suggestions above, and like said that seems within reason for a stock trigger in that combo. You really have to be on your game to shoot a gritty stock trigger in a bushmaster better than that, imo. It should shoot the bullets you have tried just fine. My money is on the barrel. While you have the hand-guard off to change it you can check the gas block, but I believe it is pinned on that gun and they rarely loosen unlike the setscrew gas blocks.

Comment

It's a standard hand guard attached, not free floating.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                            Is this a chrome lined barrel? Some good suggestions above, and like said that seems within reason for a stock trigger in that combo. You really have to be on your game to shoot a gritty stock trigger in a bushmaster better than that, imo. It should shoot the bullets you have tried just fine. My money is on the barrel. While you have the hand-guard off to change it you can check the gas block, but I believe it is pinned on that gun and they rarely loosen unlike the setscrew gas blocks.
                            Yes its a chrome lined barrel. I'll look into a new trigger and see what happens. I'm not sure how to get to the gas block, but I guess YouTube will have something on there. The hand guard is stock without a rail. I used an aftermarket rail attached to the forearm for my laser designator.
                            Last edited by SabreKiller; 11-14-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

If you put a free float handguard and quality trigger, I think you could realistically expect 1.5-2.0 MOA with that rifle wit quality ammo and possibly a little better.

Does it have a pinned A2 front sight post? If so, it could be loose, but unlikely. To install a free float the handguard you'll have to pull the sight post more than likely. It is pinned in place.

I'd start with a trigger and see how that does. 2 MOA is accurate enough for most general hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X