No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And no. No blaze orange needed while deer hunting. Happy hunting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I was out there spraying some deer repellant this afternoon, not sure whose stand I was by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I get that he was joking. But im still a bit confused. This is my first season hunting deer and im worried about telling a 1.5 year apart from a 2.5 year old. I got a doe on my trail cam that's running around with a fawn so i assume its safe to call her mature? What about a single doe? How can i be sure? What if im wrong? How will i be dinged? Just a bit concerned due to my ignorance

Comment

You can still shoot a young deer. You won't get dinged it just won't count towards the exception next year. I'll shoot a yearling any day to fill the freezer. A fawn or yearling will be smaller/sleeker and have a shorter face than a mature deer. Hill county deer are tough b/c they all have small bodies. It just comes from experience. You can Google "aging deer on the hoof" to get some pics.

Comment

Might help..

Comment

Deaf, drive through some of the neighborhoods in Georgetown in the evening, say an hour before dark, and you will see tons of deer. When they are grouped up, you will be able to distinguish most age classes pretty quickly. It will also help with shot placement practice. I have deer in my yard every day and all I see is that sweet spot crease behind the shoulder. It helps when you have a chance to study several deer at one time. Hope this helps, good luck this season!

Comment

Awesome advice fellas! Thanks. I did email Brad the day after orientation but have yet to hear back from him. I appreciate the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                  Deaf, drive through some of the neighborhoods in Georgetown in the evening, say an hour before dark, and you will see tons of deer. When they are grouped up, you will be able to distinguish most age classes pretty quickly. It will also help with shot placement practice. I have deer in my yard every day and all I see is that sweet spot crease behind the shoulder. It helps when you have a chance to study several deer at one time. Hope this helps, good luck this season!
                  I live in a similar neighborhood. See deer taunting me all the time. I can easily tell fawns from adult does but the 2.5 specification made me a bit nervous. Good to know it's not a violation to harvest a younger one.

Comment

Is this one 2.5?

I always have trouble putting an age on these does at night.

Last edited by howabouttheiris; 08-26-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                      Is this one 2.5?

I always have trouble putting an age on these does at night.

Haha! Love the sense of humor on the green screen! Looks like a nubbin buck to me

Comment

That's a five yar old chupacabra buck fawn.

Comment

Don’t know if your on this forum but if you are, i Came across your set up today, you definitely have me on your camera. I’m a novice hunter, just wanted to see a good example. If you don’t mind can you PM me so i can ask about your location.

Also, i have a rookie question for y’all.
                          Has the lake water level ever risen after some rain and taken someone’s set up because it was placed too close to the the bank? Is that even possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Filled feeder and checked camera. Bingo
                            Attached Files

Comment

How are the acorns looking in your area?

Comment

I have not see many yet. I will be by again this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X