Round Came Through Camp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round Came Through Camp!

Just got a text from my Uncle, who's at the deer lease, saying that they had a bullet ricochet through our camp.

When I was there last week, there were some guys to our north who showed up about 10:30 in the morning and were just driving around their property shooting. Didn't sound like they were hunting, but just driving around and randomly blasting a few rounds here and there. We've heard from other landowners and hunters in the area, that these guys are always shooting.

From my uncle's description, they're in there today and have been shooting. According to what he said, he heard the bullet whistle through our camp.

I texted him the numbers for both the county sheriff's office and the GW. Not sure what to do at this point. Should he attempt to talk to them? Call the GW? Sherriff? Both?
    Last edited by TexasHunter83; 01-13-2018, 01:56 PM.

I'd call the warden

Comment

Just heard that my dad called the warden and left a message. Hasn't heard back from him yet

Comment

Update:

According to my uncle, the round whistled through camp and had to have been within about 20ft of where they were sitting.

Dad heard back from the GW and told him what was going on. In the meantime, my Uncle went down the road to their property and made contact with the guys shooting. According to him they were nice fellas and they had no idea there was anyone hunting our property, or that we had a camp on it. Turns out they always shoot towards a big oak tree on their property. Coincidentally, our camp is a couple hundred yards passed that tree, and directly in-line. There's basically no back-stop other than that tree.

Anyway, after my uncle talked to them, My dad called the GW back and told him that it was somewhat resolved, but he basically just wanted him to be aware in case we had any more issues.

Comment

I would have the GW go talk to them anyway to make sure they understood the gravity of the situation. Nice guys or not, they need to be made aware that their bullets crossing property lines are illegal, and possibly deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
            I would have the GW go talk to them anyway to make sure they understood the gravity of the situation. Nice guys or not, they need to be made aware that their bullets crossing property lines are illegal, and possibly deadly.
            I agree ... some may take things a little more seriously when they get a warning from law enforcement. I would do whatever I could to get these guys to fully understand the possibly deadly ramifications of repeating these actions.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
              Just make sure they know you have advised the GW/LEO.

Comment

Absolutely NO REASON to not know where your bullets are going!

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                  This.

Comment

Exactly

Comment

I think you handled it perfectly. Now that they are aware I'm betting it doesn't happen again and you were able to maintain a good relationship with neighbors

Comment

Rule 1: Keep firearm pointed in safe direction.
                        Rule 2: ALWAYS know what is beyond your target.

Comment

Always know what’s beyond your target.

Comment

I'll keep you guys updated if I find out anything else. I wasn't present, so it's really not my call on getting the GW pointed in any one direction, but I trust my Dad's and Uncle's judgment.

From what I understand, the guys had some younger kids with them at the time and just seemed like they were out trying to have fun. He said they were polite, friendly, and apologetic and said it would never happen again. The guys showed him where they were shooting and showed them the direction of camp as well as the direction of my blind from their location. Apparently the guy had a broken leg most of last year and hadn't really been out to his property in a while, so he was unaware of where we have our camp. To his defense, you can't see our camp from the road and you can't see it from where they were shooting; it's tucked into the S. Texas brush. That said, he should be aware that his rounds are crossing property lines and should install a proper backstop. In my personal opinion, the properties in the area are really too close together to be target shooting without a proper backstop.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHunter83 View Post
                              Just got a text from my Uncle, who's at the deer lease, saying that they had a bullet ricochet through our camp.

When I was there last week, there were some guys to our north who showed up about 10:30 in the morning and were just driving around their property shooting. Didn't sound like they were hunting, but just driving around and randomly blasting a few rounds here and there. We've heard from other landowners and hunters in the area, that these guys are always shooting.

From my uncle's description, they're in there today and have been shooting. According to what he said, he heard the bullet whistle through our camp.

I texted him the numbers for both the county sheriff's office and the GW. Not sure what to do at this point. Should he attempt to talk to them? Call the GW? Sherriff? Both?
                              I hunt near Evant and we have show Jackwagons that come to their lease to the north of us. They come to shoot guns apparently cause they ain't hunting. Why would you shoot that much during deer season, just don't get it. #morons #cityslickers

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X