No announcement yet.

Celebrate the life of John "Tuthdoc" Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff Matt. We on the GS will never forget him!

Comment

Matt, take your time. Only you will know when it is time for you to move on and carry John's torch. Thanks again for the stories/lessons.

Comment

Matt, you're doing everything right, man. I lost my father 19 years ago from a sudden heart-attack when he was only 56 and I was 19. I didn't want to get over it, I wanted to remember him every way I could. His voice, his mannerisms, his sayings, his laugh....you name it. It was my own way of dealing with it. I'm a self-confessed tear-shedder and I can't count the amount of time I spent sitting in the grass by my father's grave crying and talking aloud to him. Did that seem strange to some? I'm sure it did, but it's how I dealt with it and after a period of time the pain and giant hole that I felt lessened and those feelings were slowly replaced by the good memories of him and how blessed I was to have such a great father and I still feel that way today.

Regarding your interest in your kids.....you are on the right track!! My dad never forced me to do the things he liked, but I still liked most of them anyway. The things I didn't like weren't forced on me and my dad took special interest and got involved in things that he had no real interest in. That is HUGE to a child and I can't understate that. I too have several kids and I don't know if they will adopt my same interests, but I know I'll adopt theirs. Over the past week the stories of John's life has further reminded me of that. Not just with my children, but in ALL of my relationships. While I never had the privilege of meeting him, he had a huge impact on me by the way he carried himself on this board and also how he took time for everyone, including me. I need to be more like John.....and his life has inspired me to do that. You also inspire me because you also are taking the reigns from John in how you deal with your children and other people. I commend you and thank you for your posts!!

My prayers are still with your family. (and I'm not just saying that casually...I mean it!) I know that one of the hardest parts after losing someone so close is getting back into a routine after the visitors have left, the phone calls and cards in the mail slowly start to die down, and everything has quieted down........but you're still left with a huge hole in your life. Just be sure to do what you have to do each day with regards to spending time, etc. with your family, friends, co-workers, etc., but don't hold back any feelings you have. Talking and crying are great medicine when you're hurting.

Thank you and God Bless,

predatorsniper

Comment

Originally posted by predatorsniper View Post
          Matt, you're doing everything right, man. I lost my father 19 years ago from a sudden heart-attack when he was only 56 and I was 19. I didn't want to get over it, I wanted to remember him every way I could. His voice, his mannerisms, his sayings, his laugh....you name it. It was my own way of dealing with it. I'm a self-confessed tear-shedder and I can't count the amount of time I spent sitting in the grass by my father's grave crying and talking aloud to him. Did that seem strange to some? I'm sure it did, but it's how I dealt with it and after a period of time the pain and giant hole that I felt lessened and those feelings were slowly replaced by the good memories of him and how blessed I was to have such a great father and I still feel that way today.

Regarding your interest in your kids.....you are on the right track!! My dad never forced me to do the things he liked, but I still liked most of them anyway. The things I didn't like weren't forced on me and my dad took special interest and got involved in things that he had no real interest in. That is HUGE to a child and I can't understate that. I too have several kids and I don't know if they will adopt my same interests, but I know I'll adopt theirs. Over the past week the stories of John's life has further reminded me of that. Not just with my children, but in ALL of my relationships. While I never had the privilege of meeting him, he had a huge impact on me by the way he carried himself on this board and also how he took time for everyone, including me. I need to be more like John.....and his life has inspired me to do that. You also inspire me because you also are taking the reigns from John in how you deal with your children and other people. I commend you and thank you for your posts!!

My prayers are still with your family. (and I'm not just saying that casually...I mean it!) I know that one of the hardest parts after losing someone so close is getting back into a routine after the visitors have left, the phone calls and cards in the mail slowly start to die down, and everything has quieted down........but you're still left with a huge hole in your life. Just be sure to do what you have to do each day with regards to spending time, etc. with your family, friends, co-workers, etc., but don't hold back any feelings you have. Talking and crying are great medicine when you're hurting.

Thank you and God Bless,

predatorsniper

WOW!!! Very nice sir!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockpit TX View Post
            I have heard about TD's up and down method to age deer but I havent been able to locate any thread that explains it. Can anyone help with a link
            This is from one of John's threads:

I assume any deer that's going to make 125 meet a certain criteria. In other words, any 12 inch deer with 6 points ain't gonna make it. So, what I look for is an average down. Measurements that most deer that make 125 will meet or exceed. Those measurements are 15 inches inside, 20 inch beams, and 25 inches in mass. That'll give him 80 inches "down". When the deer comes in, and you wonder if he's 125, you should be able to tell if he's "80 down" instantly. Add up his points in your head. If he's "45 up", then he's 125. If it's close, then see instantly if there's anything that goes over or under the starting point measurements "down". In other words, if you can count 45 inches "up" and you're afraid to shoot, then look at his spread. Is it greater than 15, if so you're probably safe. If his mass is better, then you can add a few inches.

That's how I do it. Sounds complicated, but it works pretty quickly once you know what your "80 down" looks like. If it's close, always underguess when adding. It'll keep you out of how water. If you think a tine is 8 or 9 inches, go 8.

For S Tx deer, I start at 95 then add the tines. If I'm looking to score a potential deer to shoot then I have already decided it is a "mature" deer. As such, I have built in a few averages. Avg spread in S Tx 18's, avg beams 22"s, avg mass 32"s. I can make adjustments to 95 (I give the deer an extra inch to make myself feel he is bigger ). If I think he's 20 inside then I satrt at 97 etc. This base number should come pretty fast 5-7 seconds. Then I start adding tine length on one side and multiple by 2 assuming he matches ( 5" brow, 10" G-2, 8" G-3, 4" G-4 = 27"s x 2= 54). Add 95 to 54 and viola 149. Any kickers go on top. You can get close within 10-15 seconds. Come up with a "average" for your area.

Comment

Thanks CULL

Comment

Matt, As others have stated, Only you will know when the time is right for you. I lost my little brother 23 years ago and most folks thought I spent too much time grieving, Well, that is what I needed, Two years ago, I lost my oldest son, I'm not sure I have enough time for that one, But I have to be here for the rest of my kids. No one knows a time limit for something like this, so you take what you need. I think you are a remarkable young man and you will do just fine, If you need anything, Just ask

Comment

Its hard waiting on a call that you know is never gonna come, It was hard going to the axis lease knowing he would not be there. Its hard looking in the pass seat of my truck and not seeing that goofy grine knowing he was up to something and I'd pay for what ever it was. It was hard setting up blinds that you know he was the last one to be there and take it down. It was hard drawing my bow and aiming at a really good axis buck , touching my release then whispering this one is your Brother and letting my bow down and watching the buck slowly walk off. It wasn't hard crying like a baby not because I let the buck walk but because he isn't here with me. It will be hard to go to San Ang to a place we built together for almost 10 years, made it a great place to hunt and now he isn't there. Its hard to sleep all night and not wake up thinking about how this could happen. If I could have one wish... I'd take his place, and never think twice.

" Its called hunting not killing" J.D.L......he isn't resting he is finding us a place
                  Attached Files

Comment

wish i had met him,
                    sounds like the best kind of people

Comment

Great words Mark. Our continued thoughts and prayers are with you and Matt and the rest of the family.

Comment

Mark,

I can't imagine your pain! We went to San Angelo this weekend and felt John's presence as soon as we opened the gate. We had several good cries remembering the fun we had around him...

Stay strong and know our thoughts are with you....

Comment

Mark and Matt,
                          Yall are going to be going thru a lot of first for a long time to come. The pain never seems to go away it just kinda scabs over. Every TBH member feels you and your familys pain too. But thank you so much for letting us share our hurt with yall also. And one last thanks for coming to the Green Screen to help you feel better. God Bless

Comment

Picture is Worth 1000 Words

John was usually the one taking all the pictures, so as we were putting together his slide-show we found very few pics with all of us and him in it. I found these, and I thought I would share them with y'all. These pics go with the story of my first good buck that I posted earlier in this thread.

I know they say pictures are worth 1000 words, but these 2 pics are worth more than that to me. I honestly do not know who was more proud that day, John or me?

Click image for larger version

Name:	John & Matt LDP II.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	23889095

Click image for larger version

Name:	John & Matt LDP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	23889096

I miss him so much, there is a big huge void in my life where he used to be. I am glad I have so many great memories to lean on, to help me get through this.

Comment

Treasures for sure!

Comment

I haven't been on her for over 3 months. I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. Prayers to friends and family.

Comment

Working...
                                X