AC condenser not coming on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
    Is this white board the one you are talking about in air handler? Fuse checks good. I read voltage on right side wires but none on left side. Not sure if there should be any there or not. However, now the unit has magically come on. But i feel it will be short lived functionality. It could be all in my head but it seems like the condenser is running a little weak. Like it should be a little louder.
    I have a Frigidaire and mine looks a little different but yes, of fuse is good then you should be getting 24v to the outside unit relay board.

If it stops again, i will try pushing in the contactor. I assume what you are referring to is under that black cover held onto the contactor by 2 screws?
    Yessir, pull those two screws and the cover and you can push in on the small rectangle tab.

Comment

check your pan upstairs... if its full of water your float switch might have kept unit from coming on...

Comment

You need a volt meter to properly diagnose this issue. I would help but I’m too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have we gotten a resolution, it’s been a week?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
            check your pan upstairs... if its full of water your float switch might have kept unit from coming on...
            Thats funny you mention this...just happened to me. The unit is off and unresponsive, go through the whole "is it getting power" scenario... breakers...etc.

YUP! Thats what it was...no bleach in the drain line so when it stopped up and overflowed into the pan and the float switch killed the unit! Thank goodness it did too. Took me 2 trips with a 14gal shopvac to suck all the water from the pan. Float switch returned and unit fired up!

Comment

I'd make sure you have 24v coming in from the thermostat. I just replaced my thermostat last week for the same symptoms as you. For some reason I was only getting 14v coming in

Comment

Yes I have a volt meter that was used to check things.

I have run into the water pan issue before on the other unit. This unit is in our master closet. From what I remember, if that's the problem, the inside unit does not come on either.

However, like i mentioned in an above post, while I was going through checking things it magically started working again and has run fine ever since. I still suspect the capacitor to be the culprit and it will probably take a dump again soon.

Comment

if theres a Locke Supply close they sell capacitorsa for 12 bucks and some change to the public. Just replaced one on my unit yesterday.

Comment

I paid $30 for a capacitor at a supply store, but it was $30 well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                      Thats funny you mention this...just happened to me. The unit is off and unresponsive, go through the whole "is it getting power" scenario... breakers...etc.

YUP! Thats what it was...no bleach in the drain line so when it stopped up and overflowed into the pan and the float switch killed the unit! Thank goodness it did too. Took me 2 trips with a 14gal shopvac to suck all the water from the pan. Float switch returned and unit fired up!
                      On the bleach in the drain pan/line---our HVAC company says no as it is corrosive --- they recommend vinegar instead.

Comment

Well we are back to no AC again. Wasnt coming on a few days ago so i pulled the cover off the contactor and it would start by pushing it in but would not stay on. After fiddling w it it eventually came on on its own and stayed on. A day or two later it was still working normally but the contactor started buzzing again just like it did before all these issues started. Progressively got louder. Got home from work today and the contactor is engaged, buzzing loudly, and unit not coming on. The buzz is related to the thermostat bc it keeps buzzing when outside breaker to unit is turned off.

We leave for miami tomorrow. I need to know possiblr parts to order so i can fix it when i get back.

Comment

Originally posted by deerdhunter View Post
                          Mine stopped working a couple of weeks ago. A friend who does a\c came over and found a spider had been fired been the contact points. All that you could see were its curled up legs sticking out from under the contact.
                          This happens quite a bit. Fire ants also.

Comment

Well we are back to no AC again. Wasnt coming on a few days ago so i pulled the cover off the contactor and it would start by pushing it in but would not stay on. After fiddling w it it eventually came on on its own and stayed on. A day or two later it was still working normally but the contactor started buzzing again just like it did before all these issues started. Progressively got louder. Got home from work today and the contactor is engaged, buzzing loudly, and unit not coming on. The buzz is related to the thermostat bc it keeps buzzing when outside breaker to unit is turned off.

We leave for miami tomorrow. I need to know possiblr parts to order so i can fix it when i get back.

Did you happen to check the junction outside the unit for the thermostat wire? This gets jaked up all the time! It’s usually just wirenuts and electrical tape

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                              Did you happen to check the junction outside the unit for the thermostat wire? This gets jaked up all the time! It’s usually just wirenuts and electrical tape

I have a devil beagle that's chewed mine 3x this week! Put a cage around it and then she hopped on top of the condenser and got in the cage to chew it! Putting a top over it tomorrow!

Comment

Yes there were ants in the contactor when i opened it. I had the same problem with my well a while back and ants were preventing contact. I flicked the contacts around some to try the knock any ants out of the ac contacts but i was not overly thorough bc the power was on at the moment.

Yes the thermostat wires are wire nutted right outside of the unit.

Im at the airport now. I will make sure its ant free when i get home and will check the wire nut connection. It felt solid but i didnt take them off to inspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X