Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody shot the new ELD-X at a critter yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simsknives View Post
    Shot my deer last year with a vld 180gr hsm 300 win mag at a 396yds and had zero expansion almost same hole going in as going out i wasn't impressed. Made a good shot so it didn't matter but still....i had a box of the ELD-x precision hunters in my hand for my 308, the box was a little torn up from someone trying to open it at academy so i was like oh ill just grab the one under it and didn't check and it was 30-06 which no big deal because i own a 06 but didn't catch it until i was back home so didn't get to try it out on these two pigs. these were shot with the VLDS hsm 308 and both ran about 40 yards. i know a lot of people like them and they are very accurate but not impressed with expansion. Will test the ELD-x this weekend on some more pigs.

Was you able to test out the ELD-X on some pigs?

Comment

I will be on hogs this weekend

Comment

This my elk, taken in AZ last week with a 300 RUM / 212 grain ELD-X, hand-loaded with 91.5 grains of Retumbo. The avg. velocity of the 212 grain round out of my ultra-mag is 3,185 fps (4,775 FPoE).

I hit the elk at 170 yards on his left side, right behind the shoulder. The elk was moving when I hit him. He wobbled, stumbled, and dropped dead after a few yards.

The round punched through part of a rib, continued through both lungs, and lodged in the membrane between his ribs on his right side.

The recovered bullet still had the lead core, and weighed 5.7 grams (88 grains). It retained 41.5% of its original weight. In my opinion, the bullet worked as advertised.
        It dealt with an 800+ pound animal, hit bone, stayed together, mushroomed, and dumped over 2 tons of energy inside the elk.

I tested the 200, 212, and 220 grain bullets. The 212 is my favorite. I practiced regularly this year on targets out to 700 yards. I'm an average shooter, and 700 yards is a chip-shot with that round. It is flat!

Elk are tough, a .30 caliber rifle is an advantage.

I look forward to hearing how the ELD-X performs on Whitetail, and hogs.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
          About 4:30 this evening a friend called me from Wyoming. He has just finished a elk hunt using a 6.5 Creed. with the 143 ELDX, factory loads. He said the first shot was right behind the shoulder. The bullet hit one rib and exploded. The elk turned around in a circle and he shot again hitting about 1" from the first hole. Neither bullet held together. He said pieces of them were all through the chest and nothing came close to an exit. The elk was about 165 yards. I thought the ELDX was suppose to stay together.
          That is pretty shocking. At 165 yards that 143 gr ELDX impacted at only around 2250 fps.

Comment

I've heard several folks complain about them blowing about on impact. I haven't tried them for this reason. I'm waiting for them to fix them. About like the failure that is the long range accubonds. I was real excited for those as the AB is one of the very best hunting pills made IMO. So I'm still feeding bergers to animals hoping someone makes a better Bullet lol.

Comment

Originally posted by x1jett View Post
              This my elk, taken in AZ last week with a 300 RUM / 212 grain ELD-X, hand-loaded with 91.5 grains of Retumbo. The avg. velocity of the 212 grain round out of my ultra-mag is 3,185 fps (4,775 FPoE).

I hit the elk at 170 yards on his left side, right behind the shoulder. The elk was moving when I hit him. He wobbled, stumbled, and dropped dead after a few yards.

The round punched through part of a rib, continued through both lungs, and lodged in the membrane between his ribs on his right side.

The recovered bullet still had the lead core, and weighed 5.7 grams (88 grains). It retained 41.5% of its original weight. In my opinion, the bullet worked as advertised.
              It dealt with an 800+ pound animal, hit bone, stayed together, mushroomed, and dumped over 2 tons of energy inside the elk.

I tested the 200, 212, and 220 grain bullets. The 212 is my favorite. I practiced regularly this year on targets out to 700 yards. I'm an average shooter, and 700 yards is a chip-shot with that round. It is flat!

Elk are tough, a .30 caliber rifle is an advantage.

I look forward to hearing how the ELD-X performs on Whitetail, and hogs.

Best of luck!

I have been looking for load data and results all over the web and this is the best review I've read. I have a .300 rum as well and am about to start working up a load of the 212's and 220's.

I am curious, what was your COAL with the 212's? Were you able to put them in the magazine. The Hornady book has them marked at like 3.900 for COAL and the max COAL is 3.600....

My dad and I booked an Aoudad hint and either of these bullets would be great.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  I've got some of them to use in the .264 Win Mag I'm having built by APR.
                  I've shot several deer with them and have not been pleased. Everyone blew apart on me. In all fairness, all my kills have been 100 to 150 yards, so impact velocity was pretty high.

Comment

41% is a good thing??

Shooting thin skin is one thing but large thick heavy larger game needs a bullet that holds on to weight does not explode .. i just typed about this I use a Barnes . Never had a failure from 25-06 308 44 mag in pistol and my muzzle loader , 308 300 RUM and 338 Rum .

But there are plenty of proven bullets out there .

Comment

My 9 year old son shot this axis doe 100 yards. 6.5 143eld-x pushed by imr4350.

No trouble tracking her.

Comment

I thought "new?" until I saw the date of this resurrected 18 month old thread

ELD-X are great; I'm suspicious of the guy hunting elk with a 6.5 man bun, not that bullet

Comment

Just got back from Africa and my buddy’s daughter took her 6.5creedmoor. She shot a zebra, kudu, impala, and gemsbok with the eld-x. Dropped everything with one shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                            Just got back from Africa and my buddy’s daughter took her 6.5creedmoor. She shot a zebra, kudu, impala, and gemsbok with the eld-x. Dropped everything with one shot.

Good to hear. I shot some of these in 308 yesterday and they shot awesome from 0-400 yds

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Good to hear. I shot some of these in 308 yesterday and they shot awesome from 0-400 yds

She killed her kudu at 307 yards

Comment

Whacked a doe with PH 178gr last year. Bad day for her. . .

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                                X