No announcement yet.

Your favorite Texas country song?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe Chris Knight hasn't been mentioned, I know he's not a Texan but he's red dirt for sure.

Comment

man that's a hard question to answer, but thanks everyone for the suggestions. I need to update my playlist anyway so this is great.

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
        If Texas Ain't Heaven-Kevin Smith

most people have never heard it

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
          All of which also identify with texas country music... play at texas country festivals and write songs with texas country artist... they are synonyms as far as the genre is conserned.

The semantics of defineing "texas country artist" as only from texas and red dirt from oklahoma has no bearing on the music type, just state chest thumping

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          They all moved to the Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels area 10 years ago. Then people started misusing the term. Red Dirt refers to the entire state of Oklahoma being just that....red dirt. Ain't no red dirt in central or north or south or west Texas. LOL.

Comment

Amarillo by morning.
            George Straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              They all moved to the Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels area 10 years ago. Then people started misusing the term. Red Dirt refers to the entire state of Oklahoma being just that....red dirt. Ain't no red dirt in central or north or south or west Texas. LOL.
              I promise you there is red dirt in West Texas in particular around San Angelo and Abilene.

Comment

Originally posted by burntorange bowhunter View Post
                feelin' good again - the man
                x 1,000

Comment

1st Again... state chest thumping... has no bearing on the genre or music.

2nd... the ACTUAL ARTISTS called the stuff they did red dirt... in texas...example: red dirt round up, in fory worth cross, randy, reckless kelly( from idaho but if you dont think their red dirt your helpless), stoney, mickey and the motor cars....

3rd... plenty of red dirt in texas, wow you really went there

That said, WHO CARES, accept the genre and lets talk about THE MUSIC... like the first 3/4 of this thread instead arguing semantics...

Comment

My shortlist:

"You ain't met my Texas yet"- JAB
                    "Freeze Frame Time"- Brandon Rhyder
                    "Boys from Oklahoma"- Cross Canadian Ragweed
                    "I'm not the Devil"- Cody Jinks
                    "The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends" - Robert Earl Keen
                    "Screw You We're from Texas"- Ray Wylie Hubbard
                    "Off the Record"- Aaron Watson
                    "Feet Don't Touch The Ground"- Stoney Larue
                    "Black-Haired Québécoise"- Old Crow Medicine Show
                    "Trouble Knows My Name"- RRB w/ Willie
                    "She's like Texas"- JAB
                    "Bluebonnets"- Aaron Watson

Comment

Dublin Blues - Guy Clark
                      Proud Souls - Jason Boland
                      Poncho and Lefty - Townes Van Zandt

Comment

I don't relly get into female singers (except to look at), but, Sunny Sweeny killed it with this one!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUeipwc4jBg"]I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Rotney View Post
                          Rusty Weir, Aqua Dulce
                          Sonny Burgess, when in Texas do as Texans do

That tune surely paints a picture. As an old goat, i'd encourage the younger members of the brotherhood, and anyone who hasn't checked him out, to pay a serious visit to the Rusty Wier catalog. I champion that guy every chance i get. Great, great Texas Music original.

Don't it make you wanna dance
                          Sally Mae
                          Stoned, slow, rugged
                          5:00 on a Texas Morning
                          Coby's Song
                          Blue Haze
                          I heard you been layin' my old lady
                          I don't want to lay this guitar down

Man, i could go on for a long time on this guy. Just awesome. Thanks for a great call up.

Comment

Originally posted by MA ELite View Post
                            Thank you!

I take it you like that song lol

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                              1st Again... state chest thumping... has no bearing on the genre or music.

2nd... the ACTUAL ARTISTS called the stuff they did red dirt... in texas...example: red dirt round up, in fory worth cross, randy, reckless kelly( from idaho but if you dont think their red dirt your helpless), stoney, mickey and the motor cars....

3rd... plenty of red dirt in texas, wow you really went there

That said, WHO CARES, accept the genre and lets talk about THE MUSIC... like the first 3/4 of this thread instead arguing semantics...

You are the one all bent out of shape and arguing. LMAO. I just stated a fact that does have to do with the music.

I guarantee you I have seen Reckless Kelley waaaay more than you have. They call their music hick rock. Like Ragweed they are a rock band with a bit of country influence.

Simmer down.

I pulled this from a music website:

This best Red Dirt bands list ranks the best Red Dirt country singers and musicians by votes. This list of Red Dirt bands let’s you see who Red Dirt fans think are the best in Red Dirt country music.*Getting its name from the soil in Oklahoma, Red Dirt singers are generally from the Sooner State (Stillwater in particular). One of Red Dirt music's greatest attributes is how it's sound is expansive in the sense that few people can accurately pinpoint it. Some associate Red Dirt bands with alt-country, others with Americana and folk. No matter what your definition is, Red Dirt music remains wildly popular in America's heartland with Red Dirt country dominating the radio and live shows in that particular region. Though the sound is closely associated with Oklahoma, the difference between that and Texas country music has dimmed over the years and with some Red Dirt bands intertwining the sound that was once so distinctive between the neighboring states.
                              Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 04-20-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

You are the one all bent out of shape and arguing. LMAO. I just stated a fact that does have to do with the music.

Simmer down.
                                Lol no sir... neither of those comments are true. But if it gets you back on topic and moved along then sure

Comment

Working...
                                X