No announcement yet.

Making Progress: getting work done in Coleman county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you going to do to keep the grasses down? Light grazing with cattle? We have 15 head of Longhorns on 479 acres and they cant keep pace with the grass right now. Fat and happy and they only get 100lb of cubes a week.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
      What are you going to do to keep the grasses down? Light grazing with cattle? We have 15 head of Longhorns on 479 acres and they cant keep pace with the grass right now. Fat and happy and they only get 100lb of cubes a week.
      I have some potential grazing leasees coming to look at the place on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
        I have some potential grazing leasees coming to look at the place on Sunday.
        Cool. If you ever want some young steers for pasture art let me know. Ill have ten calves born between now and Christmas.

It sounds crazy but I have seen these 70-80" animals create passage ways in the brush over the last few years. The deer use the same trails a bunch. Plus, since we got the longhorns we have seen our hog numbers drop. Lots of old time breeders say they will run the hogs off.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
          Cool. If you ever want some young steers for pasture art let me know. Ill have ten calves born between now and Christmas.

It sounds crazy but I have seen these 70-80" animals create passage ways in the brush over the last few years. The deer use the same trails a bunch.
          It has been in the back of my mind for some time. Maybe it will come to the front soon.

Comment

Any update or pictures from your place?

Comment

Yeah would love to get some updates

Comment

Sorry I haven't checked in, my phone has been on the fritz and so I haven't been able to get on. Back at the ranch with a computer now.

We were hit by a tornado a few weeks ago. A lot of big trees down and a few blinds were tossed and destroyed. I'm looking at getting a couple of atascosas before next season.

I put a camera in the front yard, and have been pretty impressed by the Bucks so far. A few appear to have worms, so I will try to dart them in the next couple days. Check out my obese blackbuck below.

I will be in Africa until the 30th, and will update when I return. Thanks for following along.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sippy; 06-15-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

THANKS Sippy! Looking good & enjoy the updates.

Comment

What is your basis for thinking your deer have worms? Did you do a fecal exam or any blood tests? Just curious.

Comment

I don't know how I missed this but I just started from the beginning and got completely caught up. Awesome thread and look forward to following along with you. You've put in a lot of work and it looks like it's really coming together man! Keep the updates coming!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice wildlife

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                              What is your basis for thinking your deer have worms? Did you do a fecal exam or any blood tests? Just curious.
                              Body condition relative to other deer and the current conditions. When I see a 2 yr old with a bloated gut showing ribs and hips I would bet the ranch on worms.

Comment

Hey Sippy. Where about are you in Burkett. We lease a place on 206 on 182.

Comment

Working...
                                X