Got food plot put in today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    Rye is on 5% of the mix. What would you have gone with?
    Almost 12% is pure garbage and the other 88% only has 80% germ rate so you're looking at best 65% success but more realistic 50%

Oh and cereal rye is what you want not rye grass (which is like K31 fescue)

Comment

I just got done redoing mine for the second time this year. I tried something different this year and not disk after I threw seed out and it didn't come up good. I just noticed I planted the same as No-Tox. Plus I put out some whole oats. After I lightly disked over I went over whole plot with a pound of rape seed and scattered it so rain can beat it down. I've had success with this method and won't try something new in the future. Happy planting.

Comment

Rye is on 5% of the mix. What would you have gone with?
        NO rye at all

This is why a lot of mixtures suck. I won't buy one with rye. It will look very green and good, but deer don't eat it. It is all for looks

Good seed is oats, wheat, elbon rye, peas, clover

Comment

Certainly will keep that mind for next time. First year doing this so I'm sure there will be lots to learn. Hopefully the mix will give me some kind of indication whether the deer are going to come around more. I did put down additional wheat as a fill in as I needed 1/2 bag more seed but didn't want to buy one bag of mix seed to use only half of it.

Comment

That mix is just fine and it's pretty cheap. You don't need to spend a bunch of $ on seed on your 1st plot. Most of what comes up is wheat. I had several pics of deer feeding in the plot I planted that mix in and shot a doe out of it last season. You will have more of an issue with the weeds in the seed bank from the soil disturbance than rye, in my opinion.

Maybe you did a soil test, but if not get it tested and check your ph. You might need to add some lime which will help when you plant something else in it in the spring and next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
              That mix is just fine and it's pretty cheap. You don't need to spend a bunch of $ on seed on your 1st plot. Most of what comes up is wheat. I had several pics of deer feeding in the plot I planted that mix in and shot a doe out of it last season. You will have more of an issue with the weeds in the seed bank from the soil disturbance than rye, in my opinion.

Maybe you did a soil test, but if not get it tested and check your ph. You might need to add some lime which will help when you plant something else in it in the spring and next fall.
              Getting a soil test done now after I picked up the kit from my ext agent.

Comment

Did get out today to put out some fertilizer on the plot and check to see how the seed took after all the rain. Its definitely wet and hoping my deer plot doesn't turn into a duck plot (I already have that covered on the other side of my land).

Comment

That will come up good.

Comment

Did get out today to put out some fertilizer on the plot and check to see how the seed took after all the rain. Its definitely wet and hoping my deer plot doesn't turn into a duck plot (I already have that covered on the other side of my land).

How is the growth? I planted the same mix with some extra horse oats I had on 10/7. Spray, seed, and shred. Pleasantly surprised at growth w/o discing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's under water and I haven't been to the back field yet. I'm sure everything drowned as the water was coming in faster than it can go out. Will take a few days for the water to drop. Going out next weekend to check on things.

Comment

Working...
                      X