Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farthest comfortable (confident) shot on game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
    <30 yards on anything with a bow, prefer <=20. Whatever your target is, it deserves to die quickly....including pigs.
    same

Comment

Comfortably 40 on WT, 60 on pigs. My belief is how far can I hold a 1-2" group for WT which for me is 40 yds. At 60 I can keep them within a 4-6" circle, which I'm fine with for the swine.

Comment

By the way, Buff has a great test of shooting "comfort" range: put your 3D target in front of your new pickup and walk back as far as you feel comfortable to shoot at game. Fire away.[/QUOTE]

This seems like a heck of a way to truly test out your confidence!

Comment

30 yds, try to keep my setups where 20 yards is my goal.

Comment

I will be shooting a recurve at 10 yards this year.

Comment

30 yards is comfortable for deer. I would shoot up to 50 if it was my only option.

Comment

Bow:

Even when I used to practice out to 100 yards, I wanted 35-40 yards or less on a relaxed and calm deer. If the deer is nervous or jittery, I usually pass even if they 15 yards out. In 30 years of bowhunting I am certain I have passed up more shots than I have taken.

Rifle:

I once killed a doe at 250 yards with a 7mm-08, that was the farthest. I'd probably shoot out to 400 if I had a rifle I trusted.

Comment

Practice to 50
                  Comfort to 40
                  Rifle out to 300

Comment

When I used to shoot all the time it all depended on the conditions. I've killed a deer at 42 yards, shot a javelina at 100 once cause who cares (couldn't have done better from 20 yds, it was perfect!). Today, I would probably be hesitant to shoot over 30 yards, I just don't practice like I used to.

Rifle I would let it fly anywhere out to 300 without question. Buck in my avatar was 230 yds with 7mag last year.

Comment

I just shot a doe at 35 yards and im not gonna lie id probably not do that again for awhile, she died in sight my confidence isn't there yet on live game. ive practiced 30 yard shots often and 5 yards more aint much but when i released and seen how much time she had to react ill probably take 25 yards next time. may be just me but i want to wait to practice more!

Comment

I like my whitetail about 20 yards, but have killed one at 43 yards. I also killed a blackbuck doe at 42 yards last weekend, but prefer closer. I mostly try to stay in the 20 years or so range.

Comment

WT Doe- 20 yards
                          WT Buck- 30 yards
                          Hog- 50 yards

Comment

As far as my single pin will take me

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              30 yds, try to keep my setups where 20 yards is my goal.
                              This

Comment

I won't take a shot at a deer over 30-35 yards. Any further and too much time for the deer to react and result in a bad hit. Probably 90% of the deer I've shot have been 20 yards or less.

Comment

Working...
                                X