Interesting Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Observation

I want to start by saying this just an observation and by far from any form of sophisticated scientific test. In my other thread I was discussing building a heavy high FOC arrow for my Sept elk hunt. So I ended up building a 26.5" CE Maxima 350 with 100g insert and 100g tip giving me a total weight of around 490g (don't remember exact) and around 16% FOC. I started shooting these arrows in the back yard and noticed something interesting. The sights on my bow were previously set up for my 28" standard Axis arrows. I think these arrows weighed in around 390g. No doubt my initial velocity was slower with the 500g arrows than the 390g, but what was eye opening was how much I had to change my pins.

20 yard pin = no change

30 yard pin = no change

40 yard pin = moved it up

50 yard pin = moved it up

60 yard pin = moved it up

This meant that despite the lower FPS at the bow the heavier arrow demonstrated a slightly better trajectory than the lighter 390g arrow at a higher velocity. I am guessing this is do to the weight factor resisting gravity allowing for slightly less drop.

Maybe something to ponder on....

maybe it's a retained velocity thing.

Comment

That’s interesting!

Comment

Good observation. I believe some of the trad guys have noticed this too and kind of like a spring board effect...?

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

This is one that if the light arrow people would test would realize they don’t loose when increasing mass. Or when increasing a lot it’s not much lost.

Friend was playing around the other day with his 550 and a 800 gr arrow. He only lost 10 yards. Meaning he was using his 50 yard pin for 40 yard shot with the 800 gr arrow.

Nice job

Comment

I would like to see the math on how a heavier objects resists a constant force like gravity. Seems impossible.

Don't ge me wrong, because im not saying it didn't happen, but mathematically it shouldn't.

Comment

Three seasons ago I jumped up to a 560ish grain arrow. This was more than a 120 grain increase. I did not see a change in my point of impact till outside of 40 yards. I passed tjis observation around at the time and several others chimed in that they had similar experiences. It makes since to me that your bow is performing more efficiently pushing a heavier projectile. This is also why your shots are noticeably quieter (at least mine are).

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                I would like to see the math on how a heavier objects resists a constant force like gravity. Seems impossible.

Don't ge me wrong, because im not saying it didn't happen, but mathematically it shouldn't.
                I'd say momentum and wind resistance. When you double your arrow weight, you're not halving the speed (at most, you're quartering it), so your momentum increases while wind resistance stays the same. Additionally, if longer arrows are being used to achieve that weight, that should reduce your drag coefficient.

I would be interested in seeing a velocity x mass curve for a bow. I'd wager it doesn't follow a standard KE curve because the limbs are pre-loaded, and it'd be cool to find out at what weight arrow a bow is most efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                  I'd say momentum and wind resistance. When you double your arrow weight, you're not halving the speed (at most, you're quartering it), so your momentum increases while wind resistance stays the same. Additionally, if longer arrows are being used to achieve that weight, that should reduce your drag coefficient.

I would be interested in seeing a velocity x mass curve for a bow. I'd wager it doesn't follow a standard KE curve because the limbs are pre-loaded, and it'd be cool to find out at what weight arrow a bow is most efficient.
                  My apa was still climbing at 1100 gr

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                    My apa was still climbing at 1100 gr
                    Maaaan that's some weight; are you slaying dragons with that ballista?

Comment

Why would you use a heavier arrow to go elk hunting?

Usually Kinetic energy is lost with an heavier arrow?

Look at it this way: would it be easier to stop a finishing nail at 400 fps or a railroad spike at 300 fps?

Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by TENRMORE View Post

Look at it this way: would it be easier to stop a finishing nail at 400 fps or a railroad spike at 300 fps?

Just a thought...
                        Backwards you think......

Comment

If you didn't re-tune for it, the maxima is a larger diameter than the axis effectively raising the centerline of the arrow making it leave the bow "higher" than the Axis.

Comment

Just a thought...
                            I don't want to stop either one, but there's a reason people don't go after cape buffalo with a 22-250.

Comment

Just a thought...
                              Momentum, not kinetic energy, is what's important when punching through an animal. Same reason people use heavy, slower bullets on dangerous game.

Comment

Working...
                              X