No announcement yet.

Looking for a mentor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just returned from a training seminar my company sent me to in KC. It was geared to leadership. One of the things that I thought was really interesting was a sociological evaluation. I have never had one before. Once you were evaluated it also had ways to evaluate others and clues to work with different types of people. It was called everything DISC. Some good lessons if applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Berretta Man View Post
      I have just returned from a training seminar my company sent me to in KC. It was geared to leadership. One of the things that I thought was really interesting was a sociological evaluation. I have never had one before. Once you were evaluated it also had ways to evaluate others and clues to work with different types of people. It was called everything DISC. Some good lessons if applied.
      We have something similar called "Emergenetics"...Basically tells you where you are within society and which type of thinker you are. I am 2% conceptual (ideas); 32% analytical (dealing with numbers to prove points); 23% structural (having to organize things to accomplish them...I think some of this should go towards my conceptual. I am not a list-maker, but I do have some crazy ideas at times); and 42% social (I like getting together as a group and collaborating.)

I also scored 22 on expressiveness - basically I'm introspective. 0 is quiet and 100 is gregarious. I've always been the type that doesn't like speaking first but I'm more than happy to join in a conversation. I probably listen more than I speak.

I scored 17 on assertiveness with 0 being "peacekeeping" and 100 being "driving". I'm fairly laidback andeasy going.

For Flexibility, I scored a 72 with 0 being firm or not appreciating change and 100 being welcoming to change.

The class is supposed to teach us how to work with people who are different from yourself. I get all that, but there is certainly a difference between managing people and working with them. This is my first time managing people. I feel like I'm doing good, but I also have this side of me that feels like I'm too laid back, not giving my team enough of what they need. They're all high performers except for 1, however. Except for the 1, they all work autonomously, not much need to watch over them, etc. But am I driving them and making them grow? That's the part I'm not as confident.

Comment

Maybe I need a mentor as well. I've always relied on my personal experience, my intuition, Google or YouTube.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
            We have something similar called "Emergenetics"...Basically tells you where you are within society and which type of thinker you are. I am 2% conceptual (ideas); 32% analytical (dealing with numbers to prove points); 23% structural (having to organize things to accomplish them...I think some of this should go towards my conceptual. I am not a list-maker, but I do have some crazy ideas at times); and 42% social (I like getting together as a group and collaborating.)

I also scored 22 on expressiveness - basically I'm introspective. 0 is quiet and 100 is gregarious. I've always been the type that doesn't like speaking first but I'm more than happy to join in a conversation. I probably listen more than I speak.

I scored 17 on assertiveness with 0 being "peacekeeping" and 100 being "driving". I'm fairly laidback andeasy going.

For Flexibility, I scored a 72 with 0 being firm or not appreciating change and 100 being welcoming to change.

The class is supposed to teach us how to work with people who are different from yourself. I get all that, but there is certainly a difference between managing people and working with them. This is my first time managing people. I feel like I'm doing good, but I also have this side of me that feels like I'm too laid back, not giving my team enough of what they need. They're all high performers except for 1, however. Except for the 1, they all work autonomously, not much need to watch over them, etc. But am I driving them and making them grow? That's the part I'm not as confident.
            This is just my opinion and take it for what it’s worth. I worked for a large corporation and went to several conferences and to several specific training sessions. IMHO several of these are flavors of the month, etc and are just others opinions. Use them as references or tools but don’t let others tell you what type of person you are.

To the op, no doubt a mentor or sponsor could be very beneficial but at times they may need to find you?

Comment

I’ve read somewhere to always have a “board of directors” selection of people, friends and mentors just as this. Thanks for reminding me to continue that search as well. Good luck on finding the perfect match.

Comment

Always remember that a good boss never puts off until tomorrow what he can have others do today.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  Always remember that a good boss never puts off until tomorrow what he can have others do today.
                  Folks, we've got a front runner for mentor in our presence.

Another good one: Hire the laziest person you can find because they'll figure out the easiest way to complete tasks.
                  Last edited by ctom87; 08-25-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I'm glad I read this this morning. I need to be on the search myself for that person or those people. The mentor I had got orders to Japan and we dont get to speak nearly as much.

Comment

How much are you willing to pay for this mentor?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Is he willing to have a mentor who wears black Sox with his sandals?[emoji15][emoji12]

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          A good mentor can be an invaluable asset. I’ve had a few in my career and I find myself being seeked out now by younger entrepreneurs in my community. My wife and I had a driver earlier this week that I got into a lengthy conversation with about business. He has a start up he’s trying to get going. At the end of the drive, he asked if he could contact me for advice from time to time and I agreed. I’ve made enough mistakes in my life, surely someone can learn from them.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          You were the first person I thought of when I opened this post. I've never met you but your posts are always direct, thoughtful and logical. Glad to hear you are helping others in your community.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Iron sharpens iron bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
                              Maybe I need a mentor as well. I've always relied on my personal experience, my intuition, Google or YouTube.
                              This is me as well because as I age, I am finding that I'm not a big fan of "people."
                              I take in lots of different perspectives and sift through to form my own.

Discussing politics and/or religion makes me REALLY hate humans so I definitely don't want that in a mentor. lol
                              That's exactly why I gave up all social media last winter with this forum being the exception.
                              Just a wealth of knowledge to lurk through at my pace.
                              But, to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                                If you're interested, I will buy you a set of rabbit ears so you can watch reruns of Columbo on MeTV. How's that sound?

Comment

Working...
                                X