Census Bureau?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Census Bureau?

I received a phone call earlier today from someone who stated she was hired by the Census Bureau to determine if people lived at certain properties. She was at the property gate at the moment.

My lease property line is heavy brush and the gate is locked with a case hardened lock and chain. For various valid reasons I have my phone number on the gate, under the No Trespassing sign. (Please do not ask me my valid reasons, that's not the point of the post.)

So knowing that, I told her that no one lived on that property. She said thank you and have a nice day.

Now, a couple of hours later my skeptical self is asking myself questions. If they really wanted to know if someone lived there, why not just use satellite imagery? Oh - wait - there is an old very small house on the property. Well then, why not use 911 services to see if there is a valid address for the property? Couldn't they contact the tax appraiser to determine if someone lived there?

Then my other self says, "who in the world would try to impersonate as a Census Bureau employee and what could they possibly gain with that information?"

Yes, I'm schizophrenic and so am I.

Call her back and get some info from her and check it out. If she wont give you info file a police report.

How to confirm the person visiting your address is a legitimate Census Bureau employee or whether the contact you received was from the Census Bureau.

Comment

I think it is very prudent these days to be cautious when providing information to someone who asks. Your situation is not the first I have heard of individuals being suspicious of census takers. However, a census is required every 10 years by the constitution and 2020 is a census year. One of the ways the government accomplishes this is by hiring part-time employees to conduct portions of the census. I would doubt a part-time employee is going to make the effort to view satellite imagery or research a 911 data base.

Chances are that was an actual person involved in the census but it pays to be skeptical.

Comment

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

Comment

Tell them to send a certified letter and if someone lives there, they can decide if they want to respond to the written request.

Comment

They were walking my neighborhood last week. I chatted with one of them. He said they were verifying addresses and number of dwellings on each property so that when they conduct the census they get the proper number of forms to each address.

Comment

They were dazed and confused in our neighborhood yesterday.

Comment

duckmanep and Boomboom - thanks, I feel better about it now.

Comment

Working...
                X