Darton & Stan R Were Right!!!!! Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
    Lookin good! Nothing like owning and working your plan on your own land. For me it’s been very rewarding.

Exactly. Still smiling simply because of that. The thought that my kids will be able to enjoy this for years, as their friends have to contend with leases, increased competition, and more, is the icing on the cake.

Comment

I have really enjoyed your thread, I can't wait to see what the years bring for you and your piece of ground.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
        Thanks, Gents. I’ve got to pace myself. I have a dozen or more projects in my head but only so many hours in the day.

Also, I’m holding off and not doing much that has a lasting impact as I need to learn more about this place and have a more cohesive vision for what it will be. The good part is that it is in my time as I don’t have to worry about a lease manager pushing me off the place, land owner taking my lease for his family to use, etc. etc. etc. [emoji3]

Thanks for your thread... I should do one as well, but I never seem to take the time to take many pictures. I closed on my place in Love County in December of 2016. Like you I spent most of the first year learning the place.... still lots to learn, and like you, I always have a long list of projects I'd like to do.... more food plots, possible seasonal wetlands for waterfowl, cabin, etc. Right now my main focus is getting more plots ready for the fall. I had great luck spring and fall with the plots I got done last year. This spring, no luck at all... the spring plots are nice when they work, but my timing was terrible this year, and I got almost no rain after planting.

It is an incredible feeling pulling up thru the front gate, knowing that the place is yours, and you can do whatever you want with it. We had a pretty good first season last year with a few deer and many opportunities for my 13 yr old son with his bow... he's was actually too picky and never took a shot, and didn't even want to get a gun tag during gun season. Now that I have a better idea of the herd, I told him he needed to be less selective... that's a nice problem to have.

Unlike you, we have a lot of pigs... I trapped/shot over 50 last winter... I don't mind having a few around, but I think we're going to have be as ruthless as possible on them to try to keep them in check. I don't mind having a few around, cuz it's always hunting season, but man do they make mowing a new plot tough... I don't have rocks like you, just a lot of hog craters.

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
          Thanks for your thread... I should do one as well, but I never seem to take the time to take many pictures. I closed on my place in Love County in December of 2016. Like you I spent most of the first year learning the place.... still lots to learn, and like you, I always have a long list of projects I'd like to do.... more food plots, possible seasonal wetlands for waterfowl, cabin, etc. Right now my main focus is getting more plots ready for the fall. I had great luck spring and fall with the plots I got done last year. This spring, no luck at all... the spring plots are nice when they work, but my timing was terrible this year, and I got almost no rain after planting.

It is an incredible feeling pulling up thru the front gate, knowing that the place is yours, and you can do whatever you want with it. We had a pretty good first season last year with a few deer and many opportunities for my 13 yr old son with his bow... he's was actually too picky and never took a shot, and didn't even want to get a gun tag during gun season. Now that I have a better idea of the herd, I told him he needed to be less selective... that's a nice problem to have.

Unlike you, we have a lot of pigs... I trapped/shot over 50 last winter... I don't mind having a few around, but I think we're going to have be as ruthless as possible on them to try to keep them in check. I don't mind having a few around, cuz it's always hunting season, but man do they make mowing a new plot tough... I don't have rocks like you, just a lot of hog craters.

Great info RCDuck. Sounds like we are walking the same path but you are a few steps ahead of me. [emoji3]

Comment

Purchased a feeder from local surplus hunting supply this past weekend and brought it back home to refurbish and get ready for the season. This feeder needs a bit of TLC but should be solid for the new place.

The drum has moderate rust build up.

There are allot of different magic interweb approaches to cleaning the rust off but I’m interested in hearing if anyone has had success with anything other than a wire brush and safety glasses?

Comment

Cup brush on a angle grinder. Wear a mask, eye/ear protection and some old clothes. Works great.

Comment

Did it come with a warranty
                Last edited by Darton; 07-18-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Purchased a feeder from local surplus hunting supply this past weekend and brought it back home to refurbish and get ready for the season. This feeder needs a bit of TLC but should be solid for the new place.

The drum has moderate rust build up.

There are allot of different magic interweb approaches to cleaning the rust off but I’m interested in hearing if anyone has had success with anything other than a wire brush and safety glasses?
                  Did you mean to say you purchased it from an antique hunting supply? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    Cup brush on a angle grinder. Wear a mask, eye/ear protection and some old clothes. Works great.

Thanks, hog_down. Any chemical prep used to speed the removal?

Comment

Ospho will help with the rust. Just brush off the loose rust and spray or brush it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhooked View Post
                        Ospho will help with the rust. Just brush off the loose rust and spray or brush it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Good info. They are proud of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                          Did you mean to say you purchased it from an antique hunting supply? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It was an out of the way place for sure!

The good part about old stuff is that it may be better built and last longer than the new stuff?!? Hoping...[emoji51]

Started doing some CPR on the motor housing this evening.

New battery + a little WD40 and...

BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                            Did it come with a warranty

No sir. The Emporium I do business with is more of an “all sales final” outfit.

Good people but firm and final with all deals.

Comment

No sir. The Emporium I do business with is more of an “all sales final” outfit.

Good people but firm and final with all deals.
                              Sounds like my kind of people

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                                Sounds like my kind of people

Certainly not everyone’s cup of tea.

Found a chemical that takes the rust right off. Product called L-BO Grease.

Quite a bit of metal left on this classic. [emoji6]

Comment

Working...
                                X