Protein Pellet Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
    I filled feeders yesterday in Dryden and had a few bags of L&E and DD left so knowing that they both have some of the the highest TDN available, I poured a 50 pound mound of DD right beside a 50 pound mound of L&E, directly in front of the game camera. Will be another 70 days before I go back to pull cards and refill feeders, but we shall see if one pile gets hit or disappears faster than the other. I don't have a dog in this fight either way and I buy equal amounts of both brand, but just curious if one is preferred over the other on my lease and thought yall might be interested in the results.
    we tried the exact same thing last year but with two identical feeders side by side. DD in one and Purina the other. (Purina is what we were and kept feeding). Came back a month later and there was no contest - they ate the Purina and very little of the DD. Now that may be attributed to introducing a new feed next to an existing one, but we are very happy with results for the Purina and our deer show it. Not worth 25% more IMO

Comment

Well, this may be a more fair test in a way.
      I've been feeding MG and Record Rack, so this will be both L&E and DD first introduction out there at the exact same time.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
        Not worth 25% more IMO
        Nope

Comment

Under $9 a bag, I won't complain!

On our lease the lease manager buys both MG 20% and 18% MVP and one is like $8.60 and one is $9.20 or so. And the minerals are in there also.

I can't afford $13 a bag on a low fence place. Not when we have 2 1000# protein feeders.

Comment

Protein Pellet Ingredients

Looks like the 70%+ TDN isn't necessary. I think this ties back to the term "rumen" and basically means dear can only process so much protein.

Comment

I think that would be accurate for a pen raised deer where the feed consumed was 100% of its diet. A deer in the wild will only make available protein PART of his diet and therefore I see TDN as being a much larger factor....

Comment

I think that would be accurate for a pen raised deer where the feed consumed was 100% of its diet. A deer in the wild will only make available protein PART of his diet and therefore I see TDN as being a much larger factor....
                I see what you're saying and it makes sense, rumen doesn't hurt the deer so havin excess protein is a negligible factor as far as deer are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
                  Looks like the 70%+ TDN isn't necessary. I think this ties back to the term "rumen" and basically means dear can only process so much protein.

I see what you're saying and it makes sense, rumen doesn't hurt the deer so havin excess protein is a negligible factor as far as deer are concerned.

ru·men
                  roomn/
                  noun ZOOLOGY
                  the first stomach of a ruminant, which receives food or cud from the esophagus, partly digests it with the aid of bacteria, and passes it to the reticulum.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                    ru·men
                    roomn/
                    noun ZOOLOGY
                    the first stomach of a ruminant, which receives food or cud from the esophagus, partly digests it with the aid of bacteria, and passes it to the reticulum.
                    Okay so,,, I think clearly I was using the word incorrectly however am I correct in that the rumen can only process X amount of protein before passing it to the reticulum?

I don't know anything, just reading and trying to understand and learn. Thanks

Comment

Total Digestible Nutrients (TDN) - The sum of the digestible protein, digestible nitrogen free extract, digestible crude fiber and the digestible fat. TDN accounts for the fecal loss of digestion and to a large extent the urinary energy loss.

Comment

Okay so,,, I think clearly I was using the word incorrectly however am I correct in that the rumen can only process X amount of protein before passing it to the reticulum?

I don't know anything, just reading and trying to understand and learn. Thanks
                        I follow your train of thought here, and yes you're on the right track as far as I can see. Basic protein types can be lumped into 3 categories:
                        1. Indigestible - simple pass through.
                        2. Rumen Degradable Protein (Soluble) - I think this is significant because this fuels the rumen microorganisms.
                        3. Bypass protein - this is only broken down in the small intestines.

Of course depending on the feedstuff used, a ration can vary greatly in Protein types - both how much is utilized and also where absorption takes place.

Comment

Has anyone tried Game Pro 16% or 20% from Justin Seed Company
                          What would the TDN be on this stuff

Crude Protein, Min 16.00
                          Crude Fat, Min 4.00
                          Crude Fiber, Max 15.50
                          Calcium, Min 1.20
                          Calcium, Max 1.60
                          Phosphorus, Min 0.40
                          Salt, Min 0.60
                          Salt, Max 0.80
                          Copper, Min(ppm) 45
                          Zinc, Min (ppm) 225
                          Selenium, Min (ppm) 0.70
                          Vitamin A, Min (IU/LB) 15,000
                          Vitamin D, Min (IU/LB) 2,500
                          Vitamin E, Min (IU/LB) 50

Comment

What happened to this thread ? It's been more than 70 days and no results.

Comment

These are the results:

Double Down = 82.6%
                              Bee County Co-Op Deer Pellets 17 = 77.8%
                              L&E = 76.7%
                              Exxtreme Racks 20 = 74%
                              Record Rack 20 = 71%
                              AntlerMax 20 = 67%
                              Red Chain 20 = 65%
                              Fehner = 64.7%
                              MG 18% MVP = 64.7%
                              MG 20% ST = 60.9%
                              Red Chain 17 = 60%

What else are you looking for? Another feed?

Comment

These are the results:

Double Down = 82.6%
                                Bee County Co-Op Deer Pellets 17 = 77.8%
                                L&E = 76.7%
                                Exxtreme Racks 20 = 74%
                                Record Rack 20 = 71%
                                AntlerMax 20 = 67%
                                Red Chain 20 = 65%
                                Fehner = 64.7%
                                MG 18% MVP = 64.7%
                                MG 20% ST = 60.9%
                                Red Chain 17 = 60%

What else are you looking for? Another feed?
                                I think he wanted the results of the side by side consumption comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                X