Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The character some of your deer have is unreal! nice deer

Comment

Unique genetics there and good mix of mature animals.

Comment

Thanks. Some of the genetics are cool and others are not so cool. We have a ton of bucks, so we are trying to get the numbers down a little bit to help our young ones get bigger.

Comment

I hear ya, we have some of those genetics at our place in Menard with either 1 horn on one side and 4 on the other, and we have seen a split main beam on a few of them.

Comment

Nothing near as big as most of yours! Protein protein protein next year.

Comment

Work Weekend

My dad and I were able to put up one last gun blind before the season. This is our second deer blind built with SmartSide siding. This stuff lasts forever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6409.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	24404942

Name:	DSCN6410.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24404943

Comment

October 16, 2015 Update

A couple of my friends and I made it out to the ranch this past weekend to do some bow hunting, boy was it hot. I was able to shoot one of our cull bucks on Sunday morning. He had a huge body on him. This is a buck we have seen for 3 years now and his antlers have been pretty much the same, so it was time for him to go.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	24411102
                We also filled up the three cottonseed feeders, topped off our 1,000lbs protein trough (keeping it filled year-round to keep bucks near the center of our property) and dumped 200lbs of rice bran and 100lbs of cottonseed meal for the deer as well.

Name:	8.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24411103
                Here are a couple of pictures of two bucks we are passing on this year:

Name:	11.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	24411104

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	24411105

Comment

Yall have some amazing bucks for Menard Cnty

Comment

That is one cool looking buck! Congrats on the kill!

Comment

Im wanting to buy land in menard cty. What was the hunting like on your ranch before you guys started managing? Buck size/Deer numbers?

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks! I'm sure we will continue to see improvements over the next couple of years, especially once we hit our 8th year of feeding protein. Next year will be the start of our 5th year feeding protein and we are just now starting to see some really good 2.5 and 3.5 year olds. We have an 11-point 2.5yr old and several 10pt 3.5yr olds, so if we can continue feeding protein, cottonseed, alfalfa, corn, rice bran and other supplements along with doing some brush management - clearing strips of cedars every year to improve forb/browse production, I think we will eventually start seeing some bucks in the high 140's/low 150's. Our neighbor to the west of us has a high fence and he hasn't brought in any breeder deer, just native deer that he feeds protein and does continuous brush management and he shot a buck a couple years ago that scored 172in, so I know the genetics are out there. It definitely doesn't happen over night.

Comment

Really nice buck...beautiful place.

Comment

How dense is the deer population in general? If its thick how does that play into your specific plan that you have going on your place?

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueCountybow View Post
                              Im wanting to buy land in menard cty. What was the hunting like on your ranch before you guys started managing? Buck size/Deer numbers?

Thanks,
                              We bought our place in 2011 after the terrible drought and the biggest buck we saw was a 10pt that probably scored 115-120in. Now, we have a couple of bucks in the 140's and several other really cool bucks that would score over 125in that I want some of my friends to shoot. There were quite a bit of deer there at that time we bought it and still are quite a bit of deer, but we are getting our numbers in check.

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueCountybow View Post
                                How dense is the deer population in general? If its thick how does that play into your specific plan that you have going on your place?
                                We work with a wildlife biologist and we estimated that we have around 1 deer/8 acres. The reason it's this high is because we feed a lot - we have fed almost 20,000lbs of protein this year so far. The biologist estimated for us to shoot 4 bucks this year and he initially said 4 does, but since we are seeing around a 150% fawn crop this year, he recommended we shoot 6 does. We will not be shooting 4 trophy bucks, in fact we are going after 3 bucks that are 6.5yrs and older that just don't have the antlers we would like them to have at their age.

Comment

Working...
                                X