Police Officers, traffic stop question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    yeah...might be joyous to walk away from them for a bit, but guys like troopjd & other le consistently cheat with their squawk boxes & will end up cutting you off at the pass.
    He aint even got to do that. He knows where I live. He would probably beat me home!

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      He aint even got to do that. He knows where I live. He would probably beat me home!
      Ohhhh man, if that was the case there would be some line lock burn out marks in his driveway!!

It would almost be worth going into Camaro debt to see his expression!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        well, in reality you aren't REALLY kidding...

Stock Demon vs bolt on 2017 ZL1 from a dig on an un prepped street.

10min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43YCIZ-uDw
        Motorola = 670,616,629 mph

Comment

Got pulled over by DPS today for driving on the wrong side of the road. Basically, traffic pulls off to the side of the road ( though still in the road ) waiting to pick up their kids at school at a "T" intersection. They block the road in front of the stop sign, on both sides of the main road. As I pulled up I saw the trooper in line ( as usual when picking up my daughter at a nearby school ) and hesitated to make sure it was safe, then slowly went around, blinker on, pulled up to the stop sign ( cars all stopped on my right ), stopped then turned left. He pulls out and lights me up.

He is very cordial and pleasant. I told him I thought I was passing, he said no, you drove on wrong side of road. I told him my bad, I didnt realize it, and that I saw him there in line and didnt think anything about it. He let me lff with a warning.

Again, very pleasant. Not angry. Even if he gave me a ticket I wouldnt be mad.

But I do wonder about the difference between passing and driving on wrong side of road. And it seems like it should be illegal to block traffic like that. Seems l8ke that would be impeding traffic. I asked what I should have done, and he said "wait". People sit in that line for 15 plus minutes, easy.

Again, not angry. My solution is to go a different way. But isnt what they are doing impeding traffic? Was I not actually passing?
          From the way you described it (I think), the problem is not driving on the wrong side which is probably legal under the circumstances you stated, if..... it would not have been within 100 feet of an intersection.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Yes to both questions. Impeeding traffic and driving wrong side of toad. Can’t remember distance or it may have changed but can not overtake within certain distance of intersection- I’m not a real cop anymore just life jacket patrol
            It is no longer illegal to pass in an intersection. That was repealed quite some time ago. Maybe 2009 legislative session or so. Can't recall for sure, but it's been quite some time.

Comment

Sec. 545.056 - statutes.legis.state.tx.us

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                It is no longer illegal to pass in an intersection. That was repealed quite some time ago. Maybe 2009 legislative session or so. Can't recall for sure, but it's been quite some time.
                The old law (if I remember correctly) used to say that you could not pass/overtake a vehicle on a two way road within 100 feet on an approach to an intersection.

Now it just says that you can’t drive on the left side of the roadway within 100 feet on an approach to an intersection. Whether a driver is passing or not is not an issue but he still can’t drive to the left while approaching an intersection. It seems line they removed the word passing to make the offense easier to prove.

Comment

It is a very sick feeling when you pull up to the house and LEO is sitting there waiting for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                    It is a very sick feeling when you pull up to the house and LEO is sitting there waiting for you.
                    I am pretty straight laced so if that happened to me I wouldnt be too worried about it. If it ever happens it will probably be because they caught my wife trying to hire a hitman to kill me

Comment

I am pretty straight laced so if that happened to me I wouldnt be too worried about it. If it ever happens it will probably be because they caught my wife trying to hire a hitman to kill me
                      When I was a teenager, Plano was still a small town. My best friends mother was the dispatcher for the PD. All the cops knew me and still to this day I wonder why I thought I could get away with crap. i wasn't very smart back then.

Comment

On a similar note, let's discuss the offense of Passing Authorized Emergency Vehicle (Texas Move Over Law).
                        Reader's Digest version-When passing an emergency vehicle a driver must:
                        1) vacate the lane closest to the vehicle when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the vehicle;  or
                        (2) slow to a speed not to exceed:
                        (A) 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more;  or
                        (B) five miles per hour when the posted speed limit is less than 25 miles per hour.

Where there is only one lane traveling in that direction, it is not legal to move over the center line and drive on the wrong side of the road. In this case, the driver should slow to the speeds described above.

I appreciate the driver's consideration for trying to move over, but it can create a dangerous situation by driving on the wrong side of the road. I'd much rather see the driver stay in the proper lane and just slow down.

It's pretty unnerving to have a vehicle pass by you only inches away at 70 mph! I don't give warnings for that one!

Trailboss

Comment

Hey MikeT
                          I actually do know exactly where you are speaking of, that intersection(s) is problematic to say the least. Just for the record all my comments were jokes and in good fun. PM me or text me a snap shot of the warning as you have now peaked my interest. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by trooperjd View Post
                            Hey MikeT
                            I actually do know exactly where you are speaking of, that intersection(s) is problematic to say the least. Just for the record all my comments were jokes and in good fun. PM me or text me a snap shot of the warning as you have now peaked my interest. Thanks
                            I know

Trying to figure out how to pm a pic. It doesnt have the same paperclip icon on pms as the forum. Give me a bit.

Comment

It's not something I would have hassled you over from how you've explained it, but those DPS boys are a different breed.

Comment

How do you pass without driving on the wrong side of the road?

Comment

Working...
                                X