Trailer Weight Distribution and sway bar set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you use these on your camper or trailer? I'm taking my brothers 29' bumper-pull camper with my wife and kids over the summer (pulling with my 2017 F250 6.7) through NM and CO over two weeks.

I've pulled his camper a few times before for camping weekends in central Texas, but never this long of a trip. I imagine with the increased grades through the mountains I may need a little more stability.

I'd love anyone's input!

Thanks,
    Mike

They to help a lot when pulling trailer in high winds.

Comment

They are worth the money on long or heavy trailers, absolutely use one. Keeps the tongue up and pulls much better!

Comment

I use one. We bought a 30’ bumper pull this summer. It definitely makes a difference. I’m pulling with a 3/4 dodge with Cummins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use one with my 1500 and 25' bumper pull. Big difference between when i use it and when I don't. If I'm make a quick trip, I don't mess with it, but any trip of distance it's a requirement as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

good to know....I guess the Harbor Freight units are as good as any?

Comment

Don't pull without it. Makes huge difference I stability and distribution of weight. Makes truck and trailer ride level which gives better pull and ride and a lot safer

Comment

Wouldn't tow our camper without one. Big difference. Even with the HD trucks. That and a good brake controller if your truck doesn't already have one from the factory.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Forgot to mention...sounds like a great trip. Definitely memories you and your family will remember. Have fun and best of luck! Post up and let us know how it turns out when you go.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

MikeyG, do it the right way. Traveling that distance, it is a must.

You can’t just slap it on and expect good results.

These type of hitches must be set up properly. There are several YouTube videos that will help you, but If’n I were you, I would spend just a little more and purchase from a dealer.

Reason why, if’n you take camper to that dealer, they will set up everything to where the camper is level when pulling.

Trust me, it will make all the difference in the world. Especially the distance you are going. You can get the top of the line hitch for $400–$450.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      MikeyG, do it the right way. Traveling that distance, it is a must.

You can’t just slap it on and expect good results.

These type of hitches must be set up properly. There are several YouTube videos that will help you, but If’n I were you, I would spend just a little more and purchase from a dealer.

Reason why, if’n you take camper to that dealer, they will set up everything to where the camper is level when pulling.

Trust me, it will make all the difference in the world. Especially the distance you are going. You can get the top of the line hitch for $400–$450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just use your brother’s hitch and adjust it to your ride height. It’s not hard to figure them out at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the Equalizer brand pulling my camper. 32 foot with a half ton GMC. I don’t pull it far or fast, but I have been happy with it.

Comment

Hopefully this isn’t hijacking the OP’s thread but what about shorter trips? I was planning on pulling mine 180 miles to our family farm for the first time and hadn’t even thought of adding one.

Comment

You need to use one on ALL trips. The length of the trip has nothing to do with stability. We always think of wind causing a problem but an abrupt maneuver (i.e. avoiding debris or an unexpected maneuver from another vehicle) might be all it takes for a complete loss of control. That can happen 1/5 mile from your house. They are easy to set up and mandatory for every trip if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                              X