Official 2019-2020 benbrook corp thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmac View Post
    The same deer over and over is considered moving to me. Hopefully I can get it, just wished they allowed you to access the place from the school grounds and have to walk the whole place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before the school was ever built, there used to be an access gate at the top of the hill from the lake. But you still had to park behind HQ near where the school entrance drive is. And walk across the old closed ACE park, and open field, to get to the gate. Found an rattler walking across that field one time. Not many out there. But there are a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Before the school was ever built, there used to be an access gate at the top of the hill from the lake. But you still had to park behind HQ near where the school entrance drive is. And walk across the old closed ACE park, and open field, to get to the gate. Found an rattler walking across that field one time. Not many out there. But there are a few.
      I must be livin' right because in hundreds of trips to and around the lake over the past 50+ years, I have never seen or even heard of the presence of any rattlers out there. I'm always LOOKING though! There's little reason for them not to be out there, but as you stated, there's certainly not very many (if any, anymore).

Comment

That was back in the late '80s, about 2 footer. I had found another back over on the east end of Richardson about a 1/4 mile in from Grnadbury Rd. on the north side of the creek back in the 1990s, about 18". Had another buddy I used to hunt with all the time find a 3 footer while dove hunting on the Plover's Point side of Mustang. It crawled up behind him. Scott Tacket, the ranger in charge of the hunting program at the time, caught a 1 button on the step of the water fountain below the dam off Dirk's in the little park.

Place sure has changed.

Comment

Its hot and loud over here. Haven't seen anything..no squirrels, no rabbits.. nothing. Spiders are big and fat and all over the place. Grass in my old spots are 7ft tall now. Its rough out here so far.

Comment

Hella hot

Seems like most deer have been nocturnal. Hopefully the cold front pushes them a little more movement during hunting hours and u don’t soak through all your clothes with sweat. Even with a change of clothes it’s been tough

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              That was back in the late '80s, about 2 footer. I had found another back over on the east end of Richardson about a 1/4 mile in from Grnadbury Rd. on the north side of the creek back in the 1990s, about 18". Had another buddy I used to hunt with all the time find a 3 footer while dove hunting on the Plover's Point side of Mustang. It crawled up behind him. Scott Tacket, the ranger in charge of the hunting program at the time, caught a 1 button on the step of the water fountain below the dam off Dirk's in the little park.

Place sure has changed.
              It’s tough to see those little foot long suckers. Guess I’m always on the lookout for the six footers with the yard long striking range! Yeah, sadly, the hunting areas get swallowed up by the big city noticeably more each year. As you know, the Richardson side was out ‘ in the country’ until somewhat recently. The sounds of solitude have digressed from the chirping of the birds and the wind through the trees, to tollway traffic, sirens, and framing hammers.

Comment

No more Rocky Creek. No more Mustang Park. No more Plover's Point (except ducking in a boat). No more behind St. France's Village (except ducking in a boat). Eventually, Richardson will be gone too, due to all the housing development. And they've squeezed down Whiskey Flats by 1/3. No more hunting on the side of the river for ducks.

Sandbill, I bet I've spoke with you while waiting in line on Fridays for permits out there. There was one year, maybe '87, that I got a permit every week that year except for two weeks. I was out there at least 5 days every week that year. J. Sawyer, M. Anderson, J. Ferrah, and I would nearly always be in line by 1:30 or so to make sure we got one . We mostly duck, dove, and chased the quail. There were great quail numbers back then! First two weeks of dove were a blast too!~
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-04-2019, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Gross
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, several homeless camps out there and trash all over. If you leave a blind up you might be sharing it in the morning.

Comment

That whole bottom and field was under water earlier this year. The water is gonna back up all kinds of trash in that little drainage. It's done it every time the lake and river get high. I know exactly where that is. I've sat in that big tree in the last pic before.

Comment

How many of you ride a bike in hunting out there?

Comment

Originally posted by blazeplatt View Post
                          How many of you ride a bike in hunting out there?
                          Saw a non-hunter riding a dirt bike out there last year, but that's it

Comment

I didn't get drawn this year. I hunted the second hunt last year, and saw a few doe. But everything was so green, that I didn't see much. Not like I have seen in years past. I hear its good to come in to RS by boat. Maybe I can try that if they are still drawing next season. Good luck to you all this season. I am keeping an eye on this forum to see what Benbrook produces this season.

Comment

It’s meat for the Table. Not many legal bucks, but had plenty of culls that need to go, but can’t. I hope someone gets some nice deer.

Had some guy walking the wood hunting and not with the required Orange vest and hat.

Comment

Official 2019-2020 benbrook corp thread

Originally posted by Take em View Post

It’s meat for the Table. Not many legal bucks, but had plenty of culls that need to go, but can’t. I hope someone gets some nice deer.

Had some guy walking the wood hunting and not with the required Orange vest and hat.

Yeah I’ve been trying with a vertical bow, and a little harder then those horizontal models. Still some time to try to connect but since you shot the only legal deer on the place not sure it’s worth going. Congrats on the meat, and long drag out.

Comment

Working...
                                X