No announcement yet.

A Word on Single Bevel Broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't let any of this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy Scored 4 touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city Championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his long time nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      Single bevels are more acute and therefore sharper by default.

[ATTACH]911122[/ATTACH]
      In this diagram it's actually backwards. You show the double bevel ( blade thickness) as over twice that of the single bevel. And it should be the single bevel are generally far thicker( the thickness is where most of the help in splitting bones comes from IMO, more so then the rotation, but the thickness aids in rotation also) then the double bevel. Changes the angle at which they are sharpened.

Comment

I tried single bevel heads a few years ago, Zwickey Single Bevel. After several attempts to make them sharp, I called Jack Zwickey and asked him the correct way to sharpen these heads. I was sharpening them as I would any other Zwickey, 10" Mill ******* File but could not get them sharp without strapping them on the opposite side. According to Jack, he could not either...So I now hit them on the opposite side a few strokes and all is good, but I don't think you can call it a single bevel....

Comment

Also you need different single bevel heads for right handed and left handed....

Comment

A Word on Single Bevel Broadheads

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
            Also you need different single bevel heads for right handed and left handed....

Huh???? Not right handed vs left handed.

You need to match the bevel of the broadhead to the helical of the fletching; right to right and left to left.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
              So I now hit them on the opposite side a few strokes and all is good, but I don't think you can call it a single bevel....
              If all you are doing is stropping the back/flat side, then all you are doing is removing the bur, and you are supposed to do that. If so, they are still single bevel.

If however you are removing steel from the flat side, then you are effectively changing them to double bevel, but if you're getting them sharp they still work just fine.

Rick

P.S.
              I was never saying, or trying to say single bevels will be sharper than doubles. Only saying they can be made just as sharp as doubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Huh???? Not right handed vs left handed.

You need to match the bevel of the broadhead to the helical of the fletching; right to right and left to left.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                20 years ago or so, i bought some grizzlys, this was before the DR.'s report.
                they were right bevel, heck didn't know and put them on left helical arraws.
                killed a deer. but wasn't happy about the cut, or penetration. then the doc's report came out, but then i was shootin and kill'n critters with AGAIN with the ace's i use'ta use... so i have 2 hand full of grizzlys well a couple less now, put some on for a buddy up in oklahoma ...
                NOTE. i never could get them as sharp as a could a ace...

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Singe bevel, double bevel, or 3-blade: In one lung and out the other will kill most whitetails.

Unless for much tougher game, I honestly do not get the desire or need for the newest head. Get it sharp and send it. Swickey's and Stinger's have been killing since I started shooting them, and at a great price.

Comment

killed one with single bevel yesterday, worked well but I have sent plenty of double bevels through the offside shoulder as well. I think we are splitting hairs rather than bone so to speak. Hard to tell the difference for me over last 30 years of killin critters of all kinds on 2 continents. they both work just fine.

Comment

My points were only to demonstrate, that they do rotate during the cutting process, AND that you CAN get them shaving sharp.

I do however agree, that double bevel works just as good.

To me, the most important aspects are: (1) That they will sharpen, and hold an edge well, and (2) Have good structural integrity.
                        If a broadhead has those qualities, you can use it on anything.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                          My points were only to demonstrate, that they do rotate during the cutting process, AND that you CAN get them shaving sharp.

I do however agree, that double bevel works just as good.

To me, the most important aspects are: (1) That they will sharpen, and hold an edge well, and (2) Have good structural integrity.
                          If a broadhead has those qualities, you can use it on anything.

Rick
                          I know we're on an old thread, but I will add that one of my personal requirements in a broadhead is a large cutting diameter, which tends to rule out most single bevel heads. I like big blood trails, and I have the horsepower to shoot just about any fixed blade out there.

Incidentally, because I like edge retention, and sharpness as much as you do Rick, I tend to shoot 4 blades, instead of 3... the edge geometry just keeps me from feeling warm and fuzzy about 3 blade sharpness.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post

I know we're on an old thread, but I will add that one of my personal requirements in a broadhead is a large cutting diameter, which tends to rule out most single bevel heads. I like big blood trails, and I have the horsepower to shoot just about any fixed blade out there.

Incidentally, because I like edge retention, and sharpness as much as you do Rick, I tend to shoot 4 blades, instead of 3... the edge geometry just keeps me from feeling warm and fuzzy about 3 blade sharpness.
                            Them durn rabbits need a bone splitting head though.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

Them durn rabbits need a bone splitting head though.
                              Lol! You got me... I'm really shooting 300 grain Abowyer's cause the bunnies are so tough!

Comment

hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X