No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the garden spot turned over before the first big freeze... Sure was glad to get that good cold freeze on it right after turning it over... should help with the weed control and bugs this year... I did shorten the plot a big over last year... those 20 rows 150 feet long were just more than my bride could keep up with... I helped with the tractor and cultivator until the plants got too big to plow... got her a front tine tiller for Christmas... that'll help her keep up with the weeds...

Glad you guys got this going again. Right now we don't have a way to grow indoors, but I plan to help her get that going... bought a small greenhouse from Harbor freight.

Good luck everyone this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
      Glad this thread started. I have habanero jalapeños ghost pepper and reapers growing indoors. Bought two led brow lights I have a total of 18 plants started. My peppers and tomatoes did well last year. This is the first time I’ve started with seeds. Scotty did you start yours.
      How do the reapers do? I want to grow some but don't think I have a long enough growing season. I would have to start them early inside.

This guy I know says he can eat one. Said well I'll try to grow some.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
        How do the reapers do? I want to grow some but don't think I have a long enough growing season. I would have to start them early inside.

This guy I know says he can eat one. Said well I'll try to grow some.

Reapers are slow and don’t produce near as much as other peppers.
        Between ghost and reapers last year, we had 51 pounds of hot peppers. The ghosts were BY FAR the majority of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I worked over half my garden this week with the tractor to get ready for potato planting around Valentines day!

Comment

I moved back to the piney woods approx three years ago after retiring. Most of the folks around here seem to believe the mushroom dirt is the way to go.

Comment

Just got a new house so I'm real short on money. I plan on making 4 raised beds 4'x4'x1' out of pallets and lining them with landscape fabric. I've got one mostly assembled (just need to go get some more screws).
              This is my first year to do a garden, but I ordered my seeds this week and plan on starting some inside once they arrive. I also have a heating mat and grow lights on the way.

Comment

Yea I am ready for spring myself and to put some seeds in the ground!

Comment

I just started looking at prices of compost, vermiculite, and peat moss
                  I should have started with chickens on the homestead instead of a garden! I'm probably going to have to downgrade the size of my garden this year

Comment

Our bell pepper plants from last year finally bit the dust when we had a freeze in December. Time to clean all the beds out and start looking at what we are going to do this year.

Never done potatoes before, how soon do I need to get them in the ground?

Comment

Yanking the last of the salads, kale, broccolli and green onions out this weekend and will be starting some tomatoes indoors under a standard garage fluorescent light. Also going to get the soil ready for the new plants. I don't till my soil any longer....I just add more red wigglers and compost to the top. A successful lesson I learned while researching the back to eden gardening.

Comment

I'm a month behind, haven't started seeds yet unfortunately. I think I'll store the seeds and order some seedlings to catch up. I have 1 4x8 bed right now and a dozen pots. I think I need another 4x8 and a picket fence to keep the dogs out this season.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                          Our bell pepper plants from last year finally bit the dust when we had a freeze in December. Time to clean all the beds out and start looking at what we are going to do this year.

Never done potatoes before, how soon do I need to get them in the ground?
                          Most folks plant taters in the ground on Valentine's Day... But you can plant 'em anytime within a month of that and still make taters before it gets too hot... Then plant 'em again in the Fall (around September) for fall taters...

You'll get bigger taters if you mix in potash (ashes out your fireplace or fire pit) with the soil around the eyes when you plant them... If you don't have that, you can use plain old lime... either of those will keep the soil loose around the roots and let the taters have more room to grow and get bigger without gettin' "pithy" in the middle...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Most folks plant taters in the ground on Valentine's Day... But you can plant 'em anytime within a month of that and still make taters before it gets too hot... Then plant 'em again in the Fall (around September) for fall taters...

You'll get bigger taters if you mix in potash (ashes out your fireplace or fire pit) with the soil around the eyes when you plant them... If you don't have that, you can use plain old lime... either of those will keep the soil loose around the roots and let the taters have more room to grow and get bigger without gettin' "pithy" in the middle...
                            Nice! Thanks for the info, I have tons of ash from the fireplace I can use.

Comment

I found that TSC had nice bags of seed potatoes last year. Purple, Yukons, reds, and a few more. It's about time to pull up winter stuff and get mine going. Looks like a good time to spray some Medina this week. Good tip on the ashes. I forgot to do that last year. I've picked up a lot of bags of leaves and the compost piles always is going. I need to build a growing house, but it's just one of those things I haven't gotten to yet. Good stuff on here.

Comment

Looking good, Scotty! I still have Jalepeno's that have survived the frost and deer infestation, and are still producing. Now that we are finishing our fence and goat pen, I can finally break ground and plant more than just peppers and herbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X