Benbrook Lake 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PIOBill View Post
    We hunted our two weeks and didn't get a shot but saw quite a few. We had one fat 6 come in within 15 yards but he would have had to work to get 10". Both sides were kind of wonky. Probable older than the horns would indicate and needs to be culled. Good luck to those that are still hunting.
    Thanks for sharing your hunt PIOBill - maybe next time you will get a shot off. there were lots of little bucks running wild out there this year. interesting to see how the rut goes and who gets what out there.

Comment

I hunted this morning a few hours until wife had to go into work. Saw a few doe but nothing close to me.

I'm going to give it another whirl this afternoon.

Comment

Stick with it wikid. Opportunity will come! Corn 20 yards out is a good place to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Comment

Gonna put in for this draw next year.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
            Gonna put in for this draw next year.
            I wouldn't bother, there are no dear Benbrook [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
              I wouldn't bother, there are no dear Benbrook [emoji16]

That's kinda like saying, there are no deer in Texas

Comment

Talk to text fail... dear/deer. Seriously though, it's overcrowded, deer population isn't that great, genetics aren't that good. Save yourself the time and focus on somewhere more worthwhile....

Comment

Talk to text fail... dear/deer. Seriously though, it's overcrowded, deer population isn't that great, genetics aren't that good. Save yourself the time and focus on somewhere more worthwhile....

I thought is was a drawn hunt with scheduled dates? Even like that it is overcrowded?

Comment

I thought is was a drawn hunt with scheduled dates? Even like that it is overcrowded?
                    I'm being facetious... it's a great place. There is one issue, but I'm not sure the best solution. People are notified they have been drawn well in advance of their hunt which is great for planning, but for those with early hunt segments, like myself last year and a couple years before, you have people come through scouting prior to their hunt segments while you're on stand. It's not a huge area, and it doesn't really take a seasoned guide to find the prime habitat. I had a couple hunts last year, during the first two week segment, where guys walked right by my set during prime time hours scouting.

Comment

I'm being facetious... it's a great place. There is one issue, but I'm not sure the best solution. People are notified they have been drawn well in advance of their hunt which is great for planning, but for those with early hunt segments, like myself last year and a couple years before, you have people come through scouting prior to their hunt segments while you're on stand. It's not a huge area, and it doesn't really take a seasoned guide to find the prime habitat. I had a couple hunts last year, during the first two week segment, where guys walked right by my set during prime time hours scouting.

That is one of the drawbacks when hunting in public land. If would be nice if the personnel only allowed scouting on non hunting days. It would be difficult to enforce but theoretically it would work.

Comment

Not only the scouters but also people out riding horses if the weather is nice. It is a challenge to hunt out there but nice place to hunt. I enjoy it because im 15 minutes away!

Comment

Just gotta go hunt where there are no people some other place

Comment

That is one of the drawbacks when hunting in public land. If would be nice if the personnel only allowed scouting on non hunting days. It would be difficult to enforce but theoretically it would work.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

That would mean they’d have to keep out the guys shooting rifles/handguns/fireworks and fishermen as well.

Benbrook is my favorite lake to hunt. And when I lived nearby it, I ran and hiked the east side for training for Colorado. To add to it, the school over there utilizes the Corp property for cross country on top of the horse crowd.

Hunting is a novelty for the folks that run that office. It’s the same reason why they’ll tell you they’re overrun with turkeys but when you ask them about a spring turkey season they tell you it’s way too much trouble. *

Back in 2011 when we hunted out there we reported a guy poaching (with a rifle and a spotlight nonetheless) and pretty much got told by the CoE office that since it was on the 377 side, it would take them too much time to get out there so there wasn’t anything they could do except tell us to call TPWD wardens.

I try not to be too hard on people in this line of work, but some of the local DFW CoE office workers are lazy.

Comment

If you guys watched the big unicorn spike running around he's been culled! Good sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! This thread has been pretty quiet! Good know about another successful hunt!

Comment

Working...
                                X