Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The River and the Wall" Trumps borderwall and wildlife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never seen so many "high fencers" preach about the pitfalls of putting up a high fence. Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
      So you think the wall would impact negatively on wildlife in the area?
      Absolutely. And the farmers/ranchers who work the land that wildlife feed off of. That actually would be the bigger impact.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
        If it is the only area without a wall they will travel through there. look at Nogales, AZ. Worst territory in the country. They still travel through that area like crazy. Nothing will stop the will of those people.

Personally I think the only animals that would suffer would be the sheep and the black bears that come up during the droughts. And yes, they do cross the river and come up into S. Texas.
        I really wasn't talking terrain as much as logistics. It is way way out of the to go through Big Bend area for illegals. Much less they wouldn't make it 100 miles through that dessert. They may try but they cant carry enough water and its not South Texas with houses, tanks or windmills around the corner.

Comment

Does anybody know the stats of immigrants that come over through chain migration and the lottery VS illegal crossings?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            There's very little that you post on here that I agree with, but on this one, you're spot on. I had a ranch that I leased for 31 years that had over 8 miles of Rio Grande River frontage south of Del Rio. Back when "W" was president, the various agencies post 911 that were involved with homeland security started a pilot program using some gubment grants and other support in the "Del Rio sector" of the Rio Grande called "Zero-Tolerance". Val Verde county with the assistance from these grants built a brand spankin' new jail similar to what Sheriff Joe did out in Arizona. It was cinder block buildings high fences with razor wire, etc. Everyone caught crossing the border was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for not only illegally crossing the border, but they did complete background checks on them and threw the book at 'em and locked 'em up. The very minimum time they spent in this lock up was 6 months. Border crossings in the 8 mile section we had in this sector went from thousands/month to less than 10/month...

If you build the wall and you don't patrol it and watch it with various technologies, it will just be climbed or tunneled under... so it still takes the manpower to do that. If you're gonna do that, you don't need the wall. What is needed is enforce the dang laws we have now!

Further to the wildlife, the problem with the area where we hunted, and where the main ranch headquarters had large farming operations right on the river is that the proposed wall route put much of the river valley on the MEXICO side of the wall!! Where I hunted would be on the wrong side of the wall, and it was thousands of acres. The proposal was to put "gates" or portals in it to allow for passage of workers/tractors/equipment, etc... with NO regard for wildlife. Wildlife indeed migrates up and down the river. Our property was just south of the city of Del Rio and our deer/turkey/exotic population was much higher than the lower part of the ranch because once wildlife got to that part of the ranch, town cut them off from going farther... It was a good thing for we hunters, but having that wall all up and down the area, would be a very bad thing for wildlife in restricting their natural movements.
            This is what I'm really looking for, someone that hunted on the border and saw it first hand.

Again, this isn't a thread on the argument of wall no wall, there are already plenty of those. This thread is aimed at being a DISCUSSION on what toll the wall would take on wildlife in that area, if any.

Comment

So if the wall was placed on American soil, would the US lose all access to the river as far as wildlife goes? I honestly don’t know how the construction would go, as far as placement of the wall and such.. Question For you guys that hunt on the border. If y’all lost the right to the river as far as a water source for different animals, is there an adequate amount of water on the ranches to support everything? And will there be enough in drought years?

Comment

565 Jo Ann LN, 78520

That is an address that backs up the wall. Look it up in google maps, you can see the wall and the dirt road next to it.

It is mostly ranch land. They still have access to the river but have to drive equipment around to the gates, which is a pain.
                Attached Files

Comment

End the welfare state.

Comment

Working...
                  X