Stablizer Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stablizer Question....

Just got a Mathews Legacy, but it has no stablizer. How do i determine what weight i need?

Originally posted by BRALEYOUTDOORS View Post
    Just got a Mathews Legacy, but it has no stablizer. How do i determine what weight i need?
    If you're talking hunting, honestly... a simple SIMMS S coil is all you need(IMO).

Targets...hard to tell, you would need to determine what the bow "wants" to do at draw and where it ends up just after the shot.

3d, maybe look at one of the B Stingers, short enough for the 12" ASA(hunter class etc) stabilizer rule but still allows for some weight out away from the bow. I know a lot of guys shooting similar bows to the Legacy, using them.

Comment

You want as much weight as you can comfortably hold for a shooting cession. Remember that the longer the stabilizer is the less weight you need on the end.

Comment

I'd go with the Simms if your hunting. Keep it simple.

Comment

Thanks Guys! I was leaning toward the simms so you sealed it for me.

I will probably shoot more arrows at targets than live animals but my intention is for this to be a killing bow. My goal is to have a bow I can use for any situation, be it tourney or hunting.

Comment

From my earlier post. Do you want a Stabilizers or Dampener ?

Stabilizers vs. Dampeners

A Stabilizer is a device that is made of a rigid arm or boom affixed to the riser that provides a moment arm for a weight installed on the end or contained inside. This moment arm of weight provides a fixed mass to counteract the rotational and axial forces of bow movement generated from the operator or release of stored energy. Most functional stabilizers have a length of eight inches or more with some being several feet long. The longer the stabilizer the better it works and the less weight is required on it’s end due to the multiplying factor of moment arm, (moment arm = distance from bow riser rotational point to weight on the end of the arm or boom). Some stabilizers may also contain a material or medium to attenuate vibration or harmonic resonance but this is not the primary function of a stabilizer.

A Dampener is a device that is made with a material or medium that attenuates vibration or harmonic resonance in an object, i.e. the bow. These devices are normally short and in a range of seven inches or under. They provide very little if any stabilizing effect on the bow other than loading your mussels with a few more ounces of weight that you may perceive as slowing unwanted movement of the bow. As stated their primary function is to attenuate vibration and thus reduce the accompanying sound. Many of these devises work by converting vibration (harmonic energy) into heat. Some of these devices can be mounted on the end of an extension to provide stabilization of the bow by serving as a fixed weight on the end of an arm or boom, dual purpose.

A simple way to look at it is that if your device is not out past your limb pocket ends by several inches it is probably a dampener and not a stabilizer. Mount a stabilizer on the outside of the riser and put your dampener on the inside of the riser, this method can also be used to balance the bow. A devise that allows your stabilizer to move or flex defeats the purpose of a rigid arm or boom and will not properly stabilize and may even serve to magnify movement with a delayed action from the flexing movement of the arm or boom. The shaft, arm, or boom should be of the lightest most rigid material possible thus concentrating the weight as far to the end of the device as can be mounted.

Moment = Magnitude of Force × Force arm [the perpendicular distance to the pivot (Fd)]

Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Guys! I was leaning toward the simms so you sealed it for me.
              Just a quick heads up, I bought 2 at the Walmart in Bonham last week. They were on clearance for $9. Good deal for an S coil.

Comment

Originally posted by JBS View Post
                From my earlier post. Do you want a Stabilizers or Dampener ?

Stabilizers vs. Dampeners

A Stabilizer is a device that is made of a rigid arm or boom affixed to the riser that provides a moment arm for a weight installed on the end or contained inside. This moment arm of weight provides a fixed mass to counteract the rotational and axial forces of bow movement generated from the operator or release of stored energy. Most functional stabilizers have a length of eight inches or more with some being several feet long. The longer the stabilizer the better it works and the less weight is required on it’s end due to the multiplying factor of moment arm, (moment arm = distance from bow riser rotational point to weight on the end of the arm or boom). Some stabilizers may also contain a material or medium to attenuate vibration or harmonic resonance but this is not the primary function of a stabilizer.

A Dampener is a device that is made with a material or medium that attenuates vibration or harmonic resonance in an object, i.e. the bow. These devices are normally short and in a range of seven inches or under. They provide very little if any stabilizing effect on the bow other than loading your mussels with a few more ounces of weight that you may perceive as slowing unwanted movement of the bow. As stated their primary function is to attenuate vibration and thus reduce the accompanying sound. Many of these devises work by converting vibration (harmonic energy) into heat. Some of these devices can be mounted on the end of an extension to provide stabilization of the bow by serving as a fixed weight on the end of an arm or boom, dual purpose.

A simple way to look at it is that if your device is not out past your limb pocket ends by several inches it is probably a dampener and not a stabilizer. Mount a stabilizer on the outside of the riser and put your dampener on the inside of the riser, this method can also be used to balance the bow. A devise that allows your stabilizer to move or flex defeats the purpose of a rigid arm or boom and will not properly stabilize and may even serve to magnify movement with a delayed action from the flexing movement of the arm or boom. The shaft, arm, or boom should be of the lightest most rigid material possible thus concentrating the weight as far to the end of the device as can be mounted.

Moment = Magnitude of Force × Force arm [the perpendicular distance to the pivot (Fd)]

Hope this helps

uuuhhhh...Im just a country boy....I think i will go to Bonham Walmart and get the $9 special....lol

Thanks anyway!

Comment

Creek Freaks don't need stabilizers...

Comment

Originally posted by Heav View Post
                    Creek Freaks don't need stabilizers...
                    Kyle thot that was Heav.......what up Buddy? Creek Freaks are very UN stable!!!

Comment

Kyle thot that was Heav.......what up Buddy? Creek Freaks are very UN stable!!!
                      just chillin... I saw a good ole friend on here and tought I would jack with you a little.. MM folk aren't much better... Are you coming riding this week/weekend at Mud Nationals?

Comment

Nope....wife is bout 6 weeks bred so our riding has come to a halt. We got the boys dirt bikes for christmas so we will be at the kid tracks all summer i guess. Gotta grow up some time huh? Unless your Hawk....lol

Comment

Nope....wife is bout 6 weeks bred so our riding has come to a halt. We got the boys dirt bikes for christmas so we will be at the kid tracks all summer i guess. Gotta grow up some time huh? Unless your Hawk....lol
                          i know... Hawk is one of a kind... I just ordered a Z7, should be ready for pickup on friday, so the next time I'm up that way seeing the Mother-in-law, I'll bring my new rig and will get together and shoot a little...

Comment

Originally posted by Heav View Post
                            i know... Hawk is one of a kind... I just ordered a Z7, should be ready for pickup on friday, so the next time I'm up that way seeing the Mother-in-law, I'll bring my new rig and will get together and shoot a little...

Heck yeah! My BIL and I are gonna make a little walk thru course....by the CREEK!!!! Gotta have my fix you know!

Comment

Heck yeah! My BIL and I are gonna make a little walk thru course....by the CREEK!!!! Gotta have my fix you know!
                              Really... I forgot to ask you, did you ever get your Rhino sold?

Comment

Working...
                              X