Atlas Shrugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
    I teach High School Seniors, The issue is that you need to experience some life, work, pay taxes, see the equality of how the government doles out things before you are ready for it.

I read both Beowulf and The canterbury tales in high school. It was not until I was a senior in college and read them again that I truly understood them, and this was the same for everyone I talked with.

I have not read fountainhead, but if it is shallower reading that is a great one for high school.
    The fountainhead is an easy read... short and to the point... much WEIRDER...

We read it and animal farm my freshman year of high school...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
      My point is some of those kids have worked since they were 14(i did and lots of my classmates)... some are in the crap situation the dime school girl was in b4 leaving for new york.

Some are men(and women) who we can help shape thier ideals who will be responsible... some are ppl who we might wake up... heck some wont be useful no matter what we do.

But putting a book like this in front of them stretches the mind, nobody will take it all in in 1 go.

As i said i think your wrong, them not being prepped is OUR fault for not prepping... the best english teacher in my schooling put a hard book in front of her seniors, and we rose to it and LOVED her for it. You teach
      Young men, that doesnt make them not men.

We can agree to dissagree, i will say this would make a GREAT college course, better than history of misic for sure, but they way i HOPE i can raise my kids they would get somthing out of it.

You are describing somewhere between 5-10% of students nowadays, which is sad.

It is the parents that are failing the kids. My kids is more than ready, but he has been working since 15 and is an Eagle Scout.

The book I would start with at the High School level is "How to kill 11 million people" if you have not read it you need to.

We may disagree here, I teach science and push my kids hard and really make them think outside their comfort zones. I would rather hit them when they are ready for a book like this than burn the bridge because they were not ready. It is that important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
        The fountainhead is an easy read... short and to the point... much WEIRDER...

We read it and animal farm my freshman year of high school...

I did as well, and it is not even taught nowadays. My son read it though.

Comment

Took me 7 attempts to read that beasts, but glad I finally did. I admittedly skimmed about 75 pages of "thesis" monologue toward the end but I got it. Have also read Animal Farm by Randy but can't say that I will ever read any of her other enormous novels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Atlas Shrugged is a most excellent book. I've read all of Ayn Rand's books, and I believe it is the best.

One of my good friends grew up in a very liberal household. He campaigned for Obama the 1st go round (despite my arguing). I convinced him to read this book, and it completely changed his outlook. He now works for a conservative think tank.

Since then, I have a standing offer for any liberal I run into...I'll read any 2 books you suggest if you'll read Atlas Shrugged. I haven't had anyone take me up on it yet.

Comment

Yep, great book, took me 3 months to finish it, should be a MUST READ for everyone, no ifs, ands or buts!

Comment

I enjoyed reading the book, but I couldn't help myself.

Comment

Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are both great books; I read them every few years I would guess.

If you like this type of social/societal change epic storytelling I would suggest Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon as well.

Another good one, but less intense, is Alas Babylon.

Both of these books are post-apocalyptic but have very different views of societal changes that must take place. Swan Song is kinda supernatural while Alas Babylon is very natural.

If you really like Atlas you should also read Freehold by Michael Williamson. This is also a very relative book to our times and speak to the over zealous policing and politicizing of society. But it does it in a fast action, sci-fi kinda way that is a good fast read that really gets you to rooting for the heroine of the book.
                  Last edited by Rat; 09-14-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X