No announcement yet.

Digging a pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had a pond dug about a year ago. its a little over 1 acre surface area and 18' deep at the ****. cost 20K. From what I was told it depends on is it a rehab or newly dug. how much dirt needs to be moved and trucked in or out. Diesel cost more today than a year ago and basically what everyone else has already said.

Comment

I’ve been trying to get someone to give me a price to dig mine out and make slightly bigger. It’s about 1/4 acre and prob only 5-6’ deep if I had to guess. I think I’ll just rent a dozer and do it myself after I drain it and let it dry. Everyone is to busy and if they decide to do it they will prob charge a premium. It’s been a while since I was on a dozer but I think I can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        I’ve been trying to get someone to give me a price to dig mine out and make slightly bigger. It’s about 1/4 acre and prob only 5-6’ deep if I had to guess. I think I’ll just rent a dozer and do it myself after I drain it and let it dry. Everyone is to busy and if they decide to do it they will prob charge a premium. It’s been a while since I was on a dozer but I think I can do it.
        Have you called Benny Melton there in frost? I don’t know what he has going on right now but that man and his son Ben can do anything dirt related. Especially dozer work.

Comment

Originally posted by Williams4298 View Post
          Have you called Benny Melton there in frost? I don’t know what he has going on right now but that man and his son Ben can do anything dirt related. Especially dozer work.
          I haven’t can you pm me his number. Jason gave another guys number but he hasn’t even set up a time to look at it yet.

Comment

If you look up Pond Boss on YouTube, Bob Lusk did an episode with Mike Otto. May be able to get some good info from there.

Comment

It would probably be cheaper to fill that one in and build a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                It would probably be cheaper to fill that one in and build a new one.
                How do you figure?
                Also this one is in a natural drainage on a 30ac parcel, not much room for movement.
                It’s prob closer to 1/2-3/4 ac after looking better. Needs to be dug out about 5-6’ and add about an half more of its size.

Comment

Get a Mennonite to dig it, they charge around 150.00 per hour for a 18yd scraper.

Comment

How do you figure?
                    Also this one is in a natural drainage on a 30ac parcel, not much room for movement.
                    It’s prob closer to 1/2-3/4 ac after looking better. Needs to be dug out about 5-6’ and add about an half more of its size.
                    Usually when digging out an existing pond you have to move the dirt multiple times so you're charged multiple times for the same amount of dirt

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      Usually when digging out an existing pond you have to move the dirt multiple times so you're charged multiple times for the same amount of dirt

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

This is correct. I said the same thing in my post. This has been my personal experience if your are truly wanting a pond. best to start new. Also to get deep there will most likely have to be excavation work.

if all he wants is a slightly bigger livestock tank than pump it or let the drought do it and use a dozer to try and get as deep as you can.

Comment

Natural resources

Get with your county agent with the natural resources. They will help you layout everything but becuase of all the red tape regulations that's about all you
                        Will need them for. They will also have a list of contractors that perform the type of work your looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          Get with your county agent with the natural resources. They will help you layout everything but becuase of all the red tape regulations that's about all you
                          Will need them for. They will also have a list of contractors that perform the type of work your looking for.
                          ours didn't offer anything other than a recommendation on the contractor, which we did use

Comment

I did my own .5 acre for 1200.00 just rented a dozer. They brought it out and picked it up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get with your local NRCS agent. They can help design it and may even be able to help build it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                                We’ve had 2 ponds built in last 5 years. One was 8 acres and one was 10. 95k for one and just over 100k for another. Ours are both about 25 feet deep at the deepest point. A lot of factors come into play. Do you have to bring in a liner,? Do you have good runoff. And one hiccup we had to deal with was daming a “named” creek. The state frowns upon it and TCEQ got involved. Good luck.

Also find someone who builds tanks and ponds don’t just hire someone who can operate a dozer or scraper
                                I want to know more about this damming of a named creek.....

I searched and searched a few years ago for info and never could find anything

Comment

Working...
                                X