Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 150class View Post
    Gut and quarter them yourselves...?

Or shot a 5 pounder and hand it to the guide and say get to work and you want the back straps and tenderloins also
    You're not allowed to gut and quarter your own hogs. "Ranch rules". That's the biggest scam out of all of them, and this guy's ripping people off about 5 different ways

Comment

I'm glad I came across this. I too "won" a free trip just today. I wasn't planning on doing it based on the cleaning fee alone, but all this other stuff is just icing on the cake. How is this place still allowed to operate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Know what you are getting into with this outfit

I did a hog hunt at Independence Ranch. I did a lot of research, and probably wouldn't have gone on my own, but I was with a group that had already committed. If you book it, your credit card will show it as a "Theme Park", and that is a pretty good description. It isn't really a hunt, but more of a carnival show complete with Ranch Boss and supporting cast.

If you like fees, then this place is for you. There is a $100 fee on top of your package--not sure what they call it but it must be paid in cash. There is an additional $50 "suggested" guide tip, which is pretty steep for what they do--basically tell you what blind to go to, and come pick up a hog when you harvest one. It is separate that from the mandatory cleaning/butchering fee, which is a $60 minimum, and a $1/lb after that. So a 100 lb hog will be $100 cleaning fee. That gives you the quarters, back straps, and ribs. For reference, a 75 lb hog will fit about the size of a large plastic food grade grocery sack, at least that is how much I got. I am not sure how much, if any of the tips go to the help since Paul collects it all in cash upon checkout.

All of the above is cash only. My guess is that this business, which also claims to be a church of sorts, is not reporting much to Uncle Sam.

If you want your meat turned into sausage, it is another $2.50/lb. Paul kept saying it was only an extra $1.50/lb, but when I ran the numbers they did not match his price quote. I am pretty good with numbers, so double check his quote if you go this route. I know I can buy sausage at my grocery store for about half of what the end unit price/lb was at the ranch. They also have a "wounded pig" fee of $50, so if you quarry gets away you still have to pay. I am all about pursuing wounded animals, but when there are 6-8 binds in a semi circle around a kill zone, it simply isn't safe to chase down a wounded animal. I saw several carcases laying around the ranch, so sportsmanship is not high on their priority list.

The accommodations are decent enough--basically a small bunk house for you group. All amenities, like TV and bathroom, are shared in a common structures (big dorm type bathroom, TV and pool table in main lodge). The food for meals was decent--mostly pork products as you would guess.

The ranch hands will be happy to help you with your whiskey, but don't expect any favors in return. They readily helped us drain our supply, but when it came time to collect our meat they turned into pretty stingy characters. Pretty sure our group only got about 2/3 of the meat we paid for, but I will accept that we should have paid closer attention to what we were getting.

The ranch is well stocked--there is definitely no shortage of hogs. The "12 mile" walk was really about 2 miles or so, and runs the perimeter of the fence line. They will tell you it is 4 miles of fence, but my feel is the ranch is about 450 acres or so. We walked most of it, and it wasn't that big. There are at least two law suits filed by the AG against the ranch for falsified info-- google it and the legal complaints will show up in the results.

You will see some cool exotic species, but know your back stop because if you take one of them down, you will get an unpleasant bill, payable in cash. They are a bit of nuisance really. There are also some larger dometic hogs that you can shoot--not really sporting, but if you want meat...

Bottom line--I have a "free" trip on the books with them, and I don't think I'll redeem it.
        Last edited by bikepharmer; 04-14-2018, 11:58 PM. Reason: adding info, syntax

Comment

Originally posted by bikepharmer View Post
          I did a hog hunt at Independence Ranch. I did a lot of research, and probably wouldn't have gone on my own, but I was with a group that had already committed. If you book it, your credit card will show it as a "Theme Park", and that is a pretty good description. It isn't really a hunt, but more of a carnival show complete with Ranch Boss and supporting cast.

If you like fees, then this place is for you. There is a $100 fee on top of your package--not sure what they call it but it must be paid in cash. There is an additional $50 "suggested" guide tip, which is pretty steep for what they do--basically tell you what blind to go to, and come pick up a hog when you harvest one. It is separate that from the mandatory cleaning/butchering fee, which is a $60 minimum, and a $1/lb after that. So a 100 lb hog will be $100 cleaning fee. That gives you the quarters, back straps, and ribs. For reference, a 75 lb hog will fit about the size of a large plastic food grade grocery sack, at least that is how much I got. I am not sure how much, if any of the tips go to the help since Paul collects it all in cash upon checkout.

All of the above is cash only. My guess is that this business, which also claims to be a church of sorts, is not reporting much to Uncle Sam.

If you want your meat turned into sausage, it is another $2.50/lb. Paul kept saying it was only an extra $1.50/lb, but when I ran the numbers they did not match his price quote. I am pretty good with numbers, so double check his quote if you go this route. I know I can buy sausage at my grocery store for about half of what the end unit price/lb was at the ranch. They also have a "wounded pig" fee of $50, so if you quarry gets away you still have to pay. I am all about pursuing wounded animals, but when there are 6-8 binds in a semi circle around a kill zone, it simply isn't safe to chase down a wounded animal. I saw several carcases laying around the ranch, so sportsmanship is not high on their priority list.

The accommodations are decent enough--basically a small bunk house for you group. All amenities, like TV and bathroom, are shared in a common structures (big dorm type bathroom, TV and pool table in main lodge). The food for meals was decent--mostly pork products as you would guess.

The ranch hands will be happy to help you with your whiskey, but don't expect any favors in return. They readily helped us drain our supply, but when it came time to collect our meat they turned into pretty stingy characters. Pretty sure our group only got about 2/3 of the meat we paid for, but I will accept that we should have paid closer attention to what we were getting.

The ranch is well stocked--there is definitely no shortage of hogs. The "12 mile" walk was really about 2 miles or so, and runs the perimeter of the fence line. They will tell you it is 4 miles of fence, but my feel is the ranch is about 450 acres or so. We walked most of it, and it wasn't that big. There are at least two law suits filed by the AG against the ranch for falsified info-- google it and the legal complaints will show up in the results.

You will see some cool exotic species, but know your back stop because if you take one of them down, you will get an unpleasant bill, payable in cash. They are a bit of nuisance really. There are also some larger dometic hogs that you can shoot--not really sporting, but if you want meat...

Bottom line--I have a "free" trip on the books with them, and I don't think I'll redeem it.
          Dang man, I feel for ya. That so called ranch is a joke and a half. I believe that place is under 200 acres, 180 I think. Paul def promotes it as a huge place loaded with all sorts of game. When truth be told, most animals are not there or maybe just one of a species he says. Pigs are mostly not wild. We have supplied him with many “show hogs” that they just turn loose. I won’t even sell to him anymore and neither does my buddies.

Comment

Did you see any flying devil rams?

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
              Dang man, I feel for ya. That so called ranch is a joke and a half. I believe that place is under 200 acres, 180 I think. Paul def promotes it as a huge place loaded with all sorts of game. When truth be told, most animals are not there or maybe just one of a species he says. Pigs are mostly not wild. We have supplied him with many “show hogs” that they just turn loose. I won’t even sell to him anymore and neither does my buddies.
              You have a google image of this place? I'd like to see how many acres it is.

I hope the poster above you wasn't the guy who passed on my place for this "free" hunt. I told the guy on the phone to beware.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                You have a google image of this place? I'd like to see how many acres it is.

I hope the poster above you wasn't the guy who passed on my place for this "free" hunt. I told the guy on the phone to beware.
                No I don’t but I can find it on a map pretty easy. Doesn’t look very big. Bc it ain’t
                Try this address
                9355–9387 E State Highway 97
                Waelder, TX 78629
                United States

Comment

268.18 Acres is what my handy dandy app says. I use Huntstand. It actually has a pin for Indepence Ranch Hog Hunting for some reason.

Comment

Waelder? Is This the place that buys hogs and is a certified TX Buying Station? I doubt it is.

What a crock of shet from everything said about the place. Sad part is people keep them in business

Comment

The website is a joke...The video the Ranch Boss makes about the free hog hunts. What a scam

Comment

Where can I apply for the free hunt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                          Where can I apply for the free hunt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          I'll give you two free hunts for what they charge at Independence Ranch LOL

Comment

OH MY.....

I just stumbled on their Ministry page.

God can use anyone who is willing to do his work, and this became our realization when we asked Him, “but what can we do Father? We are in the Texas Hog Hunting business, and how could you use us?” This plan of action and website was His answer.
                            He has directed our family to take our business and be about His business of winning the lost for Him. He has given us this plan. As of this writing, we are also making our Hog Hunting Ranch available to the Men’s Church Groups of the Christian Faith, and doing so at a deeply discounted rate. This is not about denomination, but about Christ and helping you to be “living proof of a loving God to a watching world.”
                            Do you have a brother, father, son, friend, or neighbor that you have invited to go to church, but they have continually refused? Have you tried to witness to your lost friends or family to no avail? Have they refused to hear about Christ through the traditional means? This is where the Lord has led us to help fill the gap.
                            They may have continually refused to go to church with you, but would they like to go on a hog hunt with you, and do so at a really good price? This will give you an opportunity to spend several days of travel and hunt with them, and let them see Christ through you. The goal being, to win your lost friend to Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                              OH MY.....

I just stumbled on their Ministry page.

https://www.independenceranch.com/ministry
                              Wow

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                Waelder? Is This the place that buys hogs and is a certified TX Buying Station? I doubt it is.

What a crock of shet from everything said about the place. Sad part is people keep them in business

I bet it’s the same place. It wouldn’t surprise me if they’re buying them and then turning them loose in the the high fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X