Learn Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn Guitar?

Hey anybody tried yousician? I play rythm but wanting to learn some lead... Curious if anybody tried it and what they thought

Guess I get to Guinea pig it

Comment

I have not tried them. Do you already know some stuff and are just wanting to expand to lead?

Comment

I tried it for a couple of months along side taking actual lessons.

I think it is helpful for learning the fretboard fingering techniques and picking. I didn’t keep up with it long enough to tell how much I’d learn long term. That was a couple of years ago.

I’m still taking in-person lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried it for piano. If you already have some fundamentals or can already play, you may find it too slow to be enjoyable. You cannot skip ahead, or at least I couldn’t.

Comment

There are a ton of people you can subscribe to on YouTube that do all types of lessons

Comment

YouTube "lessons" I've seen have been terrible...
              I am a decent rythm player but I'm wanting to learn more theory and some lead/fretboard stuff...

I think I'm gona bail on myoutdoortv and subscribe to this instead

Comment

I'm in a similar situation as you.
                But, I take private lessons once a week and spend a lot of time on youtube.
                Not familiar with yousician.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

How much does it cost and can multiple people use it? Like if I'm advanced and want to work on lead stuff, can my boys log on and start from the beginning?

Comment

I saw one called Guitar Tricks that looked interesting. Not really wanting to spend $20 a month though.

Comment

If you can pick out 'Old McDonald Had a Farm' then you are playing by ear. Just practice repeating it on different areas of the neck. You're then set to repeat what you like to hear.
                      Following that is getting a copy of Pentatonic scales which will teach you the art of finger memory and assist you in picking out what you want to hear.
                      Google A minor/ C major Pentatonic and see if you can come up with a chart to print.

Comment

tag

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                          If you can pick out 'Old McDonald Had a Farm' then you are playing by ear. Just practice repeating it on different areas of the neck. You're then set to repeat what you like to hear.
                          Following that is getting a copy of Pentatonic scales which will teach you the art of finger memory and assist you in picking out what you want to hear.
                          Google A minor/ C major Pentatonic and see if you can come up with a chart to print.

Yep, Bill. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn how to play guitar. There were no instructors in my home town though. The internet didn't exist. But I had the most advance technology of the day - a cassette player with a pause button. I'd listen to a few notes of a song at a time, hit pause, and eventually find all the notes on the fretboard. I'd slowly piece the song together that way. I had no other options. But it turned out to be a great skill to develop. The more songs I learned by ear, the easier it got to learn new songs. I began to recognize chord progressions and patterns on the fretboard that were common among multiple songs. Years later, I learned some theory and found out those were called scales.

We're playing some music Thursday night this week. My son is an awesome player, way better than I'll ever be. But I needed to learn the 2nd guitar lead in Soulshine (Allman Brothers) so we can play that together. I used the pause button on YouTube this afternoon and figured it out. Just took an hour or less to get it fairly well figured out. I'm not a great lead player, but it'll work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TpmsZQTg44"]Soulshine - YouTube[/ame]
                          Last edited by Shane; 04-09-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            Yep, Bill. When I was a kid, I wanted to learn how to play guitar. There were no instructors in my home town though. The internet didn't exist. But I had the most advance technology of the day - a cassette player with a pause button. I'd listen to a few notes of a song at a time, hit pause, and eventually find all the notes on the fretboard. I'd slowly piece the song together that way. I had no other options. But it turned out to be a great skill to develop. The more songs I learned by ear, the easier it got to learn new songs. I began to recognize chord progressions and patterns on the fretboard that were common among multiple songs. Years later, I learned some theory and found out those were called scales.

We're playing some music Thursday night this week. My son is an awesome player, way better than I'll ever be. But I needed to learn the 2nd guitar lead in Soulshine (Allman Brothers) so we can play that together. I used the pause button on YouTube this afternoon and figured it out. Just took an hour or less to get it fairly well figured out. I'm not a great lead player, but it'll work.

Soulshine - YouTube
                            Don't forget the pinkie!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                              Don't forget the pinkie!
                              I'm using it in there a few times. Just not moving it a lot, so it's hard to tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X