How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tour of Texas; Guadalupe River Trout

As the southern most trout fishery in the United States the Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam gives Texas anglers an opportunity to catch rainbow trout year round in the Lone Star State. In 1964 the Army Corps of Engineers impounded Canyon Lake. The cold water being released from the bottom of the dam would displace the native warm water species that occupied the Guadalupe. With optimal flows the water is cold enough to support trout for the first 10 miles below Canyon Dam. Lone Star Brewery started stocking the river with rainbow trout first. TPWD followed and began experimenting with different species of trout to determine which would be the most suitable trout for the Guadalupe; in the end it was the rainbow trout that did best in the Guadalupe. About the same time, a small group of Texans, who enjoyed trout fishing, came together; Bill Parvin, **** Finta, James Keeton, Bob Newman, Chad Oliver, Bill Pabst, Glenn Richardson, Lt. Col Paul and Hazel Schubauer, Jim Vynalek, and Bill West, who later founded the Guadalupe Chapter of Trout Unlimited. Currently GRTU is the largest local Trout Unlimited Chapter.

Continue Reading Here

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
      I'll put a DIY thread up on a fly rod build, once I get the time to do it.

The basics for thread wrapping can be found with a few DIY videos over at Mudhole Tackle and or on YouTube via Mudhole Tackle

The world's largest inventory of rod building and tackle crafting components from the best brands — MHX, CRB, Pro Products, Fuji, American Tackle, Pacific Bay and more!

The build will have Fuji Titanium fly guides - SIC strippers (a pair) - (weight and corrosion reduction), a custom Klondike fly reel seat (bling) and a shot of custom wraps above the fore grip for a bit more individuality.

I tossed a thread up covering an offshore build I did last summer. It's not a fly rod build but the build is very similar - reel seat setup, guide wraps and such, as used in a fly rod.

Finding the spine in each blank section, on a modular fly rod build, is critical in the overall performance of the blank. I'll cover that and the methods I use to measure and build a rod, typically around a reel, that will be the primary reel for that blank.

A lot of the high end rod blank manufacturers, provide guide spacing measurements to be used on a specific blank's flex and bend. Toward the butt of the rod, the power zone, you can beef up a bit more there if the rod will be used for heavy action gamefish.

I'll build an 8 wt stick to cover the coast. Blank to be determined.....part of the fun in building a custom rod!
      You probably do something similar, Rob.....

I always cut little 1/2" pieces of surgical tubing of various sizes to fit snugly on the blank from tip to butt. I use those to temporarily hold the guides on the blank. I put all the guides and tiptop on the blank with those, and then I string it up. Let out a few feet of line and anchor it to something or have someone stand on the end of the line for you while you pretend you're fighting a fish. Flex the rod a bit, and then look at the line going through the guides. Start with the gap between the tiptop and the first guide. Does the line follow the curve of the rod between the two guides? If so, then they're in the right place. But if the line looks like it takes a "shortcut" from one guide to the next while the rod is curved up above the line (leaving a big gap), then those two guides are too far apart. Once the 1st guide is set, then go to the next gap and adjust the 2nd guide as needed. Work your way all the way to the last one - the biggest stripper guide. Make sure you don't get that one too close to the grip.

Sometimes I'll use 1/4" wide masking tape to hold the guides on the blank during the fitting process, but I like the little pieces of surgical tubing better.

Some blanks need 1 or even 2 more guides than recommended in order to get the line to track all the way up and down the rod. By keeping the line more parallel (on the curve) to the rod during casting/flexing, it will feed better through the guides and shoot smoother.

Of course, like you said, make sure you find the effective spine of each section of the rod and line those up. Either put the guides on the spine or directly opposite the spine, depending on what you want (stiffer forward cast or stiffer pull). I set my flyrods for a more powerful forward cast. I like line speed and tight loops.

Man, I would love to take turns poling your boat around the flats with you sometime. That would be a blast.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797628.898667.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	24362126Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797657.611532.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24362127

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797694.411410.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	24362128

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797722.059944.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	24362129

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797751.723437.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	24362130

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797784.025617.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	24362131

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797825.029159.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	24362132

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422797855.859362.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24362133
        Don't do it very often but I can hold my weight when the fly rods get broken out

Comment

Sweet

Comment

how many of yall would be interested in a TBH group flyfishing outing? if so throw some ideas out.

kayak/canoe, camp and fish on the llano river would be my suggestion

Comment

I'm game

Comment

Im listening

Comment

Have canoe, fly rod and would definitely be interested.

Comment

I've fished the south llano before, beautiful water and a lot of targets.

Comment

Would be fun

Comment

Sounds fun to me.

Comment

If be interested for sure. Would bring my kayak.

Comment

Took up fly fishing a few years ago. I initially tried to chase redfish on the coast, but after little luck I quickly switched to freshwater. I spend most of my time in this sport just tying flies. I fish for bass and perch, so I'm constantly trying different fish, frog, and insect patterns. It's a lot of fun to be able to make your own flies and catch beautiful fish with them.

Comment

ttt

Comment

I don't know why but I love to fly fish but have no interest in tying my own flys. I have several friends that do so I just go hang out at their house

Comment

Working...
                                X