How do you move away from "home"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My home is wherever my wife is.
    We have moved 4 times since we married and I never regretted it once.
    We are in Oklahoma now and away from any drama or BS from her family, we will move back to Texas when we retire and we are already discussing where we want to live, I'm thinking south Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      I spent my first 26 years of my life in Odessa. I still work about 2 hours west of Odessa. When m y daughter was born me and the wife decided we needed to move as its not a good place to raise a child. We have now lived in Georgetown for 2 years and it took a good long while for it to feel like home to me. It took a lot of money and time and planning but we made the right choice. However, being gone for 14 days at a time suks with a family but that's what it takes to make that kind of money I guess. With that said, Odessa will likely always feel like home to me. West Texas is home. It made me who I am and where I built my career. But its not "home" if that makes sense. You just gotta do it. Lots of sacrifices and lots of praying. If its meant to be it will be. The way everything fell into place for us was most certainly Gods doing. From having a house fall in our lap in a market that homes sell in hours to being offered a job that easily accommodated living anywhere in the country. To my wife finding the perfect part time job and a place for my daughter to go and learn and interact with other kids while I am at work. Its been a hell of a ride and a blessing. Good luck man.
      Good for you T8, Georgetown is a pretty nice place to land. Congrats
      Last edited by Mertzon Man; 01-02-2018, 06:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Sounds like once you have locked down a way to make enough $ it will be easy. Start liquidating and saving as much as you can and find employment and temporary housing there. I would not buy until I lived in an area first

Comment

Ain't no law says you can't move back if it doesn't end up being what you wanted either. Tough decision for sure tho. Best of luck to y'all.

Comment

I joined the Army WAY Back in 1980 and after 20+/- years retired in Texas ! Go back to visit family during Trout season ... Lol

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
              Find a job first, load up and leave. I left BCS almost 3 year’s ago and I’ve never been happier!
              Yup. Make sure you have something to go to before you take the plunge.

Comment

All I got for you is this. I have lived my entire life in the Midland/Odessa area.

Jobs kept us here. We wish now we would have upped and moved many yrs ago. Sucks living here, I hate it and all we talk about is retiring and leaving. I am not sure if that will happen.

Get your ducks lined up and move forward. Do not wait 30 plus yrs and think "I should have moved way back......." life is way too short, enjoy it when and where you can.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                  Well we up and moved from Houston to Colorado because we wanted to. We were tired of the growth and bustle. Took some though and prep. Gotta be prepared to take some flak from family. We moved away from both sets of grandparents. Which was tough on our part. But we are so happy we did it.

Went back for Christmas this year and it reaffirmed our idea of moving.

I'd suggest you have a job lined up before you jump though
                  Don't get me wrong as I love Colorado, but they may have Texas beat on growth and even worse, It's Californians.

Comment

I left Texas when I went to college (UM) so it was easy. Sounds like u
                    & family r ready, housing can be difficult, houses with yards & apts. are smaller. Lifestyle is different it's laid back & you'll find yourself outdoors most of the time, bit more expensive.

Took me a couple years to adjust I've lived on Miami Beach for nearly 50 years, now retired, home is paid & it was the right decision. I like visiting Texas for family events & even bought a house in Houston years ago but I'll never move back to Tx.. My son & Mom were actually born in Houston but Son lives in Nebraska & his Mom now lives in Brazil

Comment

You only live once in this world, It helps if you have a friend or relative in the area you want to move. I have moved to 5 different states since 1981 and it's been pretty cool. Good Luck, ask God to open a door or show you a sign on this matter.

Comment

For my wife and me it came down to a job. It was mid-October 2016 and I was unemployed yet again in PA. I wasn't looking for a job in another state, but one day got an email from an old co-worker. We worked together at USAirways in 2014 (he was in Phoenix and I was in Pittsburgh). He works for American now in DFW and they were hiring an engineer. By the end of October they flew me out for an interview, 2 weeks later I got the job offer which included a relocation package. In December they flew both of us out for a house hunting trip. We looked at houses all week all over the metroplex and made an offer on one out here in nowhere Springtown the day we left to come back to PA. It was accepted two days later. This weekend will be a year in Texas for me. I came out and lived in a hotel for a month waiting to close on this house, then I flew back to PA and drove my wife and our pets out here to our new house. We got lucky again (or blessed depending on your beliefs) and she works remotely for the same company she worked for in PA. So she didn't even have to job hunt. They shipped her stuff out and she set up an office in a spare bedroom. I hate how crowded the metromess is and the commute is awful (I knew it would be before we bought this house) and we both miss our friends/family in PA. But we both love Texas and don't regret the move at all. We were in a rut and the change of scenery and pace has done us both good.

You really just have to find a job and do it. Our move happened in the course of 2.5 months; from no idea we wanted to leave PA to me living in a hotel in TX. Of course it helped my employers has a good relocation package. That is why finding a job first is important, they may help with relocation depending on what you do for a living.

Good luck. My brother lived in Florida and hated it. He insists it's a good place to visit but not to live. But we are all different so you may love it. Plenty of people live there so lots of folks must like it .

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                          I love to travel and do a lot of it. However I've lived in the same area my whole life. I'm well connected here and established. After seeing different parts of the state and country I've realized I live in a very "blaaaaaa" part of Texas. No salt water, no hills/mountains, no clear water, no exotics, no views that make you stop and thank God he has allowed you to experience this spot, no turkey, 1 deer that made the 13" rule since it was instated......how does one just up and move away?
                          Well, you just up and move away. Suitcases aint gonna pack themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                            I joined the military.
                            Yes Sir, that's what I did too. Best decision I ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                              If that’s the case, just sit down talk to your family about it, pray about it and then man up with a decision. It’s tough at first but if you’re doing it for the right reason then it’ll all work out.
                              Winner Winner

Best advice yet.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                I spent my first 26 years of my life in Odessa. I still work about 2 hours west of Odessa. When m y daughter was born me and the wife decided we needed to move as its not a good place to raise a child. We have now lived in Georgetown for 2 years and it took a good long while for it to feel like home to me. It took a lot of money and time and planning but we made the right choice. However, being gone for 14 days at a time suks with a family but that's what it takes to make that kind of money I guess. With that said, Odessa will likely always feel like home to me. West Texas is home. It made me who I am and where I built my career. But its not "home" if that makes sense. You just gotta do it. Lots of sacrifices and lots of praying. If its meant to be it will be. The way everything fell into place for us was most certainly Gods doing. From having a house fall in our lap in a market that homes sell in hours to being offered a job that easily accommodated living anywhere in the country. To my wife finding the perfect part time job and a place for my daughter to go and learn and interact with other kids while I am at work. Its been a hell of a ride and a blessing. Good luck man.
                                You got lucky and talked to the right people.......Glad it all worked out.

Comment

Working...
                                X