Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3/12/2017 Update

We went out there this weekend to fill all of the protein and cottonseed feeders. We got our new 1,200lb Krivoman timed protein feeder set up so we now have two of the Krivoman timed feeders running. We started building our big a%* bow blind, built our quail feeder/watering station and did some strip disking to see if it will help promote any forb/grass growth. Everything is greening up out there, but it's still fairly dry so hopefully we get some rain soon. We are now gearing up for turkey season and filled up the turkey feeders. Here are some pictures from the weekend:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2679 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	24488969

Name:	DSCN2732 (Large).jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	24488970

Name:	DSCN2733 (Large).jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	24488971

Name:	DSCN2746 (Large).jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24488972

Name:	DSCN2764 (Large).jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	24488973

Name:	DSCN2767 (Large).jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	24488974

Name:	Quail House (Large).jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	24488975

Name:	Sheds in Middle Plot 2 (Large).jpg
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	24488976

Comment

The second and last pics are of one of the food plots. They are green, but the cows and deer are keeping them mowed down low.
      Last edited by bgleaton; 03-12-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Very nice!!!!
        I like what you are doing with the place.

Comment

Very fine, Sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys! We set the timed feeders to be open from 5am to 7am and 6pm to 8pm. We are doing this to help control the amount of protein feed the deer are eating, but we also have cottonseed available at all times from January through the End of August. The cottonseed is $230/ton, so it's around 1/2 the price of protein. I wish we could feed 20,000lbs of protein a year, but we can't afford that. Our goal is to feed around 12,000lbs of protein this year.

Comment

Quail Feeding/Watering Station

My brother and dad finished the quail feeding/watering station yesterday. We will eventually put a trail camera inside and see how often it's used.

Name:	IMG_6733 (Large).jpg
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	24489421

Comment

3/18/2017 - Cottonseed Feeders

Here's a picture of one of our cottonseed feeders after one week of use. We had piled up the cottonseed so that you could barely see the top of the t-post and also put a pile of cottonseed between the cottonseed feeder and the Krivoman feeder.

Name:	IMG_2337 (Large).jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	24489832
                Consumption for both cottonseed and protein has definitely slowed down over the past couple of weeks, which i'm assuming is due to everything greening up nicely out there. Hopefully we can all get some rain in the next week or so.

Comment

Looking good! I really like the quail feeding station. Please update as you can on it. Our wildlife exemption covers ground nesting birds and we are deciding which way to go on a quail feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    Looking good! I really like the quail feeding station. Please update as you can on it. Our wildlife exemption covers ground nesting birds and we are deciding which way to go on a quail feeder.
                    Thanks! I'll be out there April 7th through the 9th topping off protein/cottonseed feeders and doing some turkey hunting. I'll check the camera card on the quail feeder and post up some pictures. I'll also take some more detailed pictures of the quail feeder.

Comment

4/7/2017 Update

We went down to the ranch this past weekend to do some work and a little turkey hunting. Unfortunately, the birds weren't very vocal and every gobbler we saw had at least 4 hens with him so it was very hard to get them to come in. All of the cottonseed feeders were empty, which we filled 30 days ago. The Krivoman timed protein feeders are working great. We saw a bunch of rattlesnakes this weekend. In fact, my 3.5yr old son, nephew and mother in law were flying a kite and when my mother-in-law looked down, there was a 3.5ft rattlesnake about 5ft away from them. I was able to kill this one, but we saw 7 more rattlers that weekend. Here are some pictures from the weekend:

Here's a picture of our small plot. It's doing okay. There are a lot of weeds growing in it now:

Name:	IMG_2580 (Large).jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	24492831

All three cottonseed feeders full:

Name:	IMG_2584 (Large).jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	24492832

Name:	IMG_2585 (Large).jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	24492833

My nephew holding the rattlesnake:

Name:	IMG_2642 (Large).jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24492834

We added three brush piles in the big pond to try to improve the habitat for the baitfish (i.e. bluegills). I would like to add some big trees in one or two different spots to help hold fish and improve the pond habitat, but getting these big trees out in 12 to 15ft of water is easier said than done:

Name:	IMG_2647 (Large).jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	24492835

Name:	IMG_2686 (Large).jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24492840

Native Habitat/Open Field:

Name:	IMG_2667 (Large).jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	24492836

Creeks are still holding water:

Name:	IMG_2681 (Large).jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	24492837

Acacia blooming:

Name:	IMG_2682 (Large).jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	24492838

Quail feeder/Watering Station:

Name:	Quail Feeder-Water Station (1) (Large).jpg
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	24492839
                      We put a trail camera in it and found that raccoons are getting in and knocking over the plastic "tee-pee" shaped cone part. May need to figure out how to keep the raccoons from getting in.

Small pond:

Name:	IMG_2684 (Large).jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24492841

There was a nice thunderstorm that went through today, so I'm hoping we got at least 1/2in or more. So far, we have only received 0.8in for the month of April and we only got a little over 1in for the month of March. Here 's the cell that hit today, hopefully it produced a good amount:

Name:	IMG_2720.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	24492842

Comment

Enjoy the updates, Great looking place Yal have. Anyway you could pull your larger trees from across the pond rather than push.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                          Enjoy the updates, Great looking place Yal have. Anyway you could pull your larger trees from across the pond rather than push.
                          That's definitely a possibility, but we would need a very long chain or rope. It's about 60-70 yards across. I like the idea though. Trying to figure out how we can make it a great bass pond. It's about 20ft deep in the middle right now and about 30ft deep when full. I don't want to put too much brush in there, but we want the forage fish to be able to reproduce and get big so the Florida bass that we stocked five years ago continue to get bigger and bigger.

Comment

Looking Great! Thanks for the updates.

Comment

That many snakes common for your place in the past?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd get those kids some snake boots. My girls don't step foot outside without especially this time of yr.
                                Academy has some very good reasonably priced snake boots in youth sizes.

Comment

Working...
                                X