38 acre land management advice/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last but not least, a mystery....

I have posted the pictures in the order in which I was given the clues and I still don't know.

The fruit is still very green and is cherry like size with a pit in the middle but soft and white.

Anyone know what kind of tree this is and weather or not it is of any value?
    Attached Files

Comment

Is that a persimmon?

Comment

I hunted a 3 acre plot of oats this weekend. We saw everything the hill country has to offer. Good luck......

Comment

congrats and props to you! Keep up the good work

Comment

That looks like a Mexican plum. Deer absolutely love them. Don't get rid of it!

Comment

I looked it up in my tree book and I think it is Mexican plum. We find 3or4 of them. This place is full of surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
                That looks like a Mexican plum. Deer absolutely love them. Don't get rid of it!
                X2. I have watched deer sitting and waiting on single plums to drop. We have a bunch of Flatwoods plums which is very similar to the Mexican plum on a property I hunt. One of my favorite early season stands is watching over 2 big plum trees. All the plums are usually gone after the first week of October on our place but the trees are a hotspot when they are dropping.

Comment

Anyone know a company that will harvest pines in small quantity, say 7 acres worth? Mainly pulp wood is my guess.

Comment

T cutting and hinge are the same, and here in Harrison Co I have wild black cherry fruit. Seed has cyanide, but great fruit or so I hear, I will not try it lol

T cutting can not only put food at the deer level but cutting it a little higher will provide overhead protection and u can then add a log under canopy and it may be used as a buck bed if in the right area. Food and Cover works

Comment

Update- met with the Texas forest service and walked the place and they suggested a thinning as the pines are crowding each other and the light to the ground would increase browse. Hopefully by the end of the week the front 1.5 acres will be cleared by a dozier. The guy I used has been great and surgical in making sure to not take out the mexican plum trees I marked. I will post pictures soon.

Comment

The plum trees and the oaks. There is enough room for a good food plot too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Now I just need to burn the piles. May have to wait a while. Maybe one more big rain will come
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looking good

Comment

You need no help, you have it going your direction.

Comment

I like what you are doing. Time for a feeder.

Comment

Working...
                                X