Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geronimo2091 View Post
    Droebuck we are between London and Erna
    We aren't far from each other I'm 3.5 miles up 1221 from 377. Just west of you.

Comment

The area around London got a rain that most of Menard County did not receive. Your birds should be working pretty well down there. Good luck.
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Gary, thank you for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
          We aren't far from each other I'm 3.5 miles up 1221 from 377. Just west of you.

🤫

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Was below Junction this morning with the CEO of Browning North America, Travis Hall. We have been hunting together every spring for over 20 years. In all our years of hunting, this morning was the best I have ever seen. It was clear, cold (38 degrees) and no wind. There were over 50 gobbling birds within 600 yards to our left and to our right. At one time we had 11 gobbling, strutting and drumming birds within sight (all within 70 yards).
            Travis and I killed two birds each before 10:00 AM.
            Sorry that I did not take any photos, if I did would not know how to post them. This is one hunt where we don't take video cameras, just long time friends getting together to enjoy each other's company and bring in spring.
            I pray that all of your hunts are just as fun.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Fantastic, sounds like an epic spring turkey hunt!

Comment

How did your hunt go Geronimo?

Comment

Not as well as Gary Roberson! My nephew and I got within 50 yds of 4 birds Thursday evening but they would not come out of the brush. We did not see or hear another bird all weekend. I know my nephew had a great time and I’m happy with that!

Comment

Dang wish y'all could have got one but glad y'all had fun.

Comment

Geronimo2091, where we went hunting was cheating. While it was pretty amazing to see and hear all the birds yesterday morning, it was actually more rewarding to work the old 3-4 year old bird for over an hour and a half Sunday evening and finally get him killed.
                      The last two birds that we killed yesterday morning were almost too easy. We drove to a windmill about 9:00 AM, I got out of the truck and as soon as I hit the call, two birds answered about 250 yards away. We grabbed our gear and hustled in their direction as they gobbled on their own about a minute and a half later; I was trying to get away from the truck. When we were about 40 yards from the truck, they gobbled again and closer. I told Travis that we were going to have to sit down. We did and Travis and I doubled on the birds in less than 10 minutes. I told Travis that I almost felt a little guilty...he said that he didn't.
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        Geronimo2091, where we went hunting was cheating. While it was pretty amazing to see and hear all the birds yesterday morning, it was actually more rewarding to work the old 3-4 year old bird for over an hour and a half Sunday evening and finally get him killed.
                        The last two birds that we killed yesterday morning were almost too easy. We drove to a windmill about 9:00 AM, I got out of the truck and as soon as I hit the call, two birds answered about 250 yards away. We grabbed our gear and hustled in their direction as they gobbled on their own about a minute and a half later; I was trying to get away from the truck. When we were about 40 yards from the truck, they gobbled again and closer. I told Travis that we were going to have to sit down. We did and Travis and I doubled on the birds in less than 10 minutes. I told Travis that I almost felt a little guilty...he said that he didn't.
                        Adios,
                        Gary
                        I've had PLENTY of the tough hunts. Don't mind it a bit when it falls in your lap!

Comment

Chance, that is so true. Back in the days when I was outfitting and hunting most everyday of the season, I sure did like to see the easy ones. Made me look smart and the hunter was happy. The last few years, this is about the only turkey hunt that I make unless Miss Deb wants to try to kill a bird.
                          I would loose quite a bit of weight in the guiding days as we didn't get much sleep. Up an hour or two before daylight, hunt, clean birds and back in the woods for the afternoon. Hunt until sundown, clean birds and to bed at 10:30-11:00. I would see 30-40 birds die during the season as I am sure you still do. One thing for sure, it does not take long to breast a bird.
                          Come see me.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

The birds should have been gobbling their brains out this morning...36 degrees, no wind following the rain shower we had yesterday afternoon. Anyone go???
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X