Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 Gardening thread

Can’t wait for it to warm up!
    I spent the winter moving my raised beds to a sunnier spot.
    Rainfall will drain away better there too. My garden drowned the last two years due to where I had it.
    Added another box for this year as well.
    I still have to run the irrigation lines.

Tomato seeds have sprouted an are doing well.

Last edited by scotty; 01-21-2018, 08:14 AM.

Too early i guess?

Comment

Details on what's in the boxes. Mixture?

Comment

I have not grown a garden in a really long time. I retired a few months ago and that is on the agenda this spring!! I already bought a tiller that did not run for $30, fixed it for $12 more, so I am primed and ready.

Comment

With the exception of of some habanero peppers and okra my 2017 garden was a bust. I’ll try again this year and probably spend enough money to stock half of San Antonio with veggies so I can have 3 tomatoes and and some peppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You are a brave man.

Comment

Ah, I'm excited this thread came back up. I wanted to start a garden last year and instead ended up with baby number 2. So, she got the feeding and watering priority instead of the yard. That said I've picked out my 2 starting locations at my house and need to clear them soon and get my raised beds put in. But, the idea is to have them actually off the ground by 3 feet or so. ... no idea what I'm going to put in them.

Comment

Glad this thread started. I have habanero jalapeños ghost pepper and reapers growing indoors. Bought two led brow lights I have a total of 18 plants started. My peppers and tomatoes did well last year. This is the first time I’ve started with seeds. Scotty did you start yours.

Comment

When did you start yours Scotty

Comment

My garden is still going. Been covering it every chance of frost. Still picking turnips, beets broccoli and carrots. Brussel sprouts are just now making. Cauliflower never really made enough. I guess in a month I will start over for Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                      When did you start yours Scotty
                      I started my tomato and pepper seeds on January 11. Everything else I'll get in the ground right around the middle of march.

Comment

Well we no longer have an acre of dirt around the house to grow in. In fact when we sold that house back in October there were still jalapeno plants growing from last spring and they were covered in peppers. This year in an HOA driven home we have no chickens, no fish in the pond, no BSF rearing bin but we do have room in the back for a pretty good sized raised bed garden. Hoping to get a weekend free to do some digging and prepping. Planning on tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, cucumbers and a few dozen onions.

We'll see what happens. Good luck to all!!!

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                          I started my tomato and pepper seeds on January 11. Everything else I'll get in the ground right around the middle of march.
                          That’s what I’m shooting for. Do you use a seed starter mix. I’m using miracle grow vegetable mix

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                            Details on what's in the boxes. Mixture?
                            I checked into having bulk soil delivered, but the cheapest I could find wanted $180 just in delivery fees. I'm too tight for that.

So...
                            It has a lot of different stuff in there. I bought everything form Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart. I used a combination of Stay Green and Miracle Gro potting soil and six different brands of compost. I wanted to get a wide blend of different types of "dirt". The PH tests between 6-6.5.
                            Last edited by scotty; 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
                              That’s what I’m shooting for. Do you use a seed starter mix. I’m using miracle grow vegetable mix
                              Just a seed starting mix and peat cups. I bought the heating pads and grow light off of Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X